Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Silca Hot Melt Wax [cat4forlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cat4forlife wrote:
Similar thing happened to my chain as I soaked a used chain in OMS (Odorless Mineral Spirits) overnight. When I soaked a brand new Ultegra chain a couple of months ago to get it prepped for the Silca wax treatment, the overnight OMS soak didn't corrode the chain.

The difference, as I can tell:
- last night's OMS was recycled (it was previously used to clean the brand new Ultegra chain)
- I had put the old chain in a couple of ultrasonic cycles in Simple Green and then sprayed the chain off in water
- I didn't completely dry the chain before putting it in the OMS bath
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hot Melt Wax [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever tried any other waxes (such as soy, or coconut) or combination of waxes with or instead of paraffin. These have relatively similar melting points but very different chemistry. Certain between the vegetable waxes and paraffin. I am curious how these other waxes might work for chain lubrication? Also how they might work in combination with the nano tungsten disufide since in paraffin wax it needs something to allow it to be dispersed in paraffin.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hot Melt Wax [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just recorded a new show on chains and lubes and Josh and I discussed the use of Mineral Spirits. Hope you will listen to the show when it comes out but the short answer is use Mineral Spirits on new chains only to remove the factory grease. It does a great job at cleaning a new chain. But on used chains, the mineral spirits can interact with any moisture in the chain and possible cause corrosion. So used chains should be treated with a degreaser first and finished with Acetone or Denatured Alcohol.
Last edited by: Mhottie: Nov 20, 20 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hot Melt Wax [HLS2k6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to what brand of "quick link" everyone who is waxing is using? From what I have read about their use it is confusing to me on how many times these links may be reused. And with the price I see on Amazon they are not cheap and they may end up being the most expensive component of frequent waxings.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hot Melt Wax [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
I'm curious as to what brand of "quick link" everyone who is waxing is using? From what I have read about their use it is confusing to me on how many times these links may be reused.

I'm using this one since it can be reused indefinitely.

Quote Reply
Re: Silca Hot Melt Wax [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh -

I just had to say thank you! I’ve been waxing my chain for 5-6yrs now but using different cleaning agents and ultrasonic cleaner. I switched up to your recommendations and blown away at how much cleaner I was able to get my chain. I think largely due to the ultrasonic cleaner being more robust but wow!

I will say my wife knew something was up when I bought her an instapot... she knew it was tied to bikes somehow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next