Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best presta adapter for air compressor
Quote | Reply
With the switch to tubeless, I bought a relatively cheap Craftsman air compressor. He doesn’t have a good presta valve adapter. I see a bunch of no-name versions online. Would be nice to get one that has the integrated pressure reading gauge. Anyone have a good one (preferably cheaper than full professional grade) they recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Best presta adapter for air compressor [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suck it up and buy the Park Tool inflator. It has a built in gauge, which I have found to be accurate, as well as a pressure release button. It has a dual sided chuck for bike and car tire valves, and the chuck also rotates so that you can always read the gauge.

If you're planning to use a gauge / adapter to seat tubeless tires on a rim, it's possible your "cheap" (using your words) air compressor won't be able to push enough air volume to seat the tire. Not saying it won't, but don't be surprised if is doesn't. Regardless, I wouldn't use that Park Tool inflator to seat tires. I use an air blow gun for seating tires, which is another common attachment for an air compressor. Your compressor may have even come with one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been happy with my prestaflator. I do remove the valve cores before seating tires, and on fat bike tires spend 45 seconds trying to get as tight a fit as possible before hitting the tire with the air compressor.

Truth is 90% of the time with a small amount of prep a standard floor pump will do the jump and can be supplemented with a co2 in a pinch.

https://www.prestacycle.com/product/prestaflator-pro-bicycle-tire-inflator-presta-schrader-air-compressor-tool/

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Best presta adapter for air compressor [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on Park Tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Best presta adapter for air compressor [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
... I do remove the valve cores before seating tires, and on fat bike tires spend 45 seconds trying to get as tight a fit as possible before hitting the tire with the air compressor.

Truth is 90% of the time with a small amount of prep a standard floor pump will do the jump and can be supplemented with a co2 in a pinch.

I remove the valve cores as well, and then use the air blow gun attachment to seat the tire. I tried using a floor pump once and I couldn't get it to work. Then again, I was trying to seat a wide mountain bike tire, which requires a lot of air volume. I imagine seating a road bike tire would be a lot easier with a floor pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x5 for the Park Tool inflator. Worth the money
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since i only use the compressor for seating unruly tubeless tires and not for whenever i want to inflate my tires, i use something cheap and simple like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HRLSN16

with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/...dapter/dp/B07DN2MTKQ
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Sep 17, 20 10:25
Quote Reply