Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour de France - I can't win so I quit [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

when was the last time the previous year's winner dropped out? excluding bad crashes etc like happened the year Nibali won (from memory - Contador and Froome both had bad crashes?)

1980. M̶i̶l̶l̶e̶n̶n̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶n̶o̶w̶f̶l̶a̶k̶e̶ The Boss, Bernard Hinault. Dropped out due to tendinitis in the knee. While wearing the yellow jersey. Left in the middle of the night without letting Le Tour know. Next day the 2nd place guy refused to wear yellow.

Later he explained, "The best solution was to withdraw so that I wouldn’t compromise the rest of the season."

He recovered to win Worlds later in the year. And then the Tour de France in 1981 and 1982.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 17, 20 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France - I can't win so I quit [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
mbecks2 wrote:
...weak ass millennials

ok boomer...

He's not a millenial ... he's Gen Z
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France - I can't win so I quit [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrzilianTri wrote:
You are trying to say that even with a stage like today, Ineos would be better of with Bernal dragging at the back of the peloton than having him recover for whatever is next for him?

Fuck me! Read what I wrote you fucking moron.

"Interesting listening to Robbie McEwan comparing Bernal stopping and Quintana continuing on the tour.While the OP here will say Bernal doesn't respect Le Tour (whatever that means) and Quintana does, McEwan just said Quintana is the head of a small team that got a wildcard entry to the TdF and this is their biggest event with Quintana giving them the media coverage on road that they need.The team need him to stay riding. Bernal on the other hand does not need to keep riding as he is more valuable elsewhere and the plans for the TdF 2021 will already be underway. Sport is business."
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Sep 17, 20 22:19
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France - I can't win so I quit [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:
Yep, you're correct. I mean who really cares what I think at the end of the day, but it's a forum to discuss this shit so I do lol. I just don't have any respect for those who drop out b/c they can't do what they thought the could do...crash your bike and get damaged that's one thing...turn your legs but they don't turn as fast as your competitors so I quit is not something I can get behind...that's all I'm saying.
Are you a fan of mine?
I've dropped out of one race, ever, and that was due to an injury which I made worse by persisting as long as I did. I'll tell you when I sign up for my next race so you can come and cheer for me. No, that wouldn't interest you. You don't watch them because they'll keep their legs turning. You watch these guys because they're the best, and it's entertaining. You want to see competition. Bernal is not able to compete at present, or he would. Riders do it because they enjoy it and/or they can make a living out of it. If they don't feel the need to prove to themselves that they can finish a Grand Tour, they certainly don't owe it to you. All the top riders on the TdF know they can finish in the normal scheme of things. If they're ill or injured or otherwise way off their normal performance, they have nothing to gain by continuing. there's no reason to think mental weakness has anything to do with it. The lack of understanding and willingness to attack the guy on your part is where the real mental weakness lies. Teams and riders make their decisions on pragmatism, common sense, strategy, and a bunch of other things, but rarely mental weakness. Even if he was pulling out because he was "mentally weak" as you see it. You'd still be an ass for damning the guy over it. Have some compassion.

It's all labels, assumptions and over-simplifications with you isn't it? Millenials, libtards, weak minds.....
Mental weakness is on show in this thread alright.

Now I'm going to go and try to develop some compassion for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France - I can't win so I quit [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
trail wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Agreed re the injury. But if other high profile cyclists are saying that he should have stayed in, barring any injury, then that speaks to the claims of unique qualities of cycling and the concept of “finishing.” It might not be as clear cut as some have made it.

Also depends on team goals for the rest of the year. The Vuelta was Froome's. But now he isn't looking...good. It's a risk. So if Ineos thinks that they can get Bernal "right" in a month and compete for stage wins or even GC at the Vuelta, that's certainly better than just "finishing" the TdF.

For sure, 100%. I understand their rationale completely, but I dont know if I’ll ever agree with it. And apparently there are some pros/former pros that think he should have stayed in and that speaks volumes in this thread considering some of the flaming OP has taken.

Its like Man U dropping out of contention of EPL so they forfeit all games to focus on and stay healthy for UEFA. I know, I know, apples and oranges.

Or like them playing a B team for the league cup, because it doesn't really matter all that much if they get knocked out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France - I can't win so I quit [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:
Typical liberal thing to do is take a comment out of context and then to the extreme...he has a cozy job in comparison to everyone else out there in the pro peloton. No one said it was easy, but compared to the others who have maybe one guy or none riding for them to protect them he's got it made

How did it take to 58 posts for you to drop this insightful comment?

mbecks2 wrote:
I've seen too many of your posts and it's also not difficult to notice a libtard

If you're in need of some rah-rah feel-good sports go watch Rocky or something, rather than keep after your trolling here. Pull out that Frosty 5K finisher medal you have and contemplate how you toughed out that one despite not being near the front.
Quote Reply

Prev Next