Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mental Toughness [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
bgoldstein wrote:
Embrace the suck. Learn to be uncomfortable. Train for the worst and hope for the best. And sometimes it's mental toughness that is needed to enable the discipline.

^^^This. When I was training for races, I would make sure that I would go out in non-optimal weather conditions so that I’d know I could handle it on race day. One thing that I’ll never forget is one year at IMLP where the woman who was staying next to us dropped out in T1 after having a strong swim because it was raining. She simply said “I don’t like to ride in the rain” and wasted all that time, money, training etc.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
bgoldstein wrote:
Embrace the suck. Learn to be uncomfortable. Train for the worst and hope for the best. And sometimes it's mental toughness that is needed to enable the discipline.

^^^This. When I was training for races, I would make sure that I would go out in non-optimal weather conditions so that I’d know I could handle it on race day. One thing that I’ll never forget is one year at IMLP where the woman who was staying next to us dropped out in T1 after having a strong swim because it was raining. She simply said “I don’t like to ride in the rain” and wasted all that time, money, training etc.

Good strategy - that would be a good example of callousing, one of the sub-categories under the "Prepare" aspect of the fMT Triad (see attached for additional sub-categories if interested).
Last edited by: Ironcoop: Sep 28, 20 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [kane8907] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kane8907 wrote:
The mental toughness talked in the video is an interesting concept. Every person knew that but hardly to know the real meaning of the word. Athletes know that because they are always thriving ,and well prepared.
Most of the persons should have the mental toughness.

Exactly! - Resilience, Grit and Mental Toughness get thrown around by commentators and coaches as if they're the same thing but they're quite different. I think we have a video posting around Oct 21st on the Coaching Channel that provides an overview of how they differ. Here's the short version based on some of original literature on the subjects:
  • Resilience - your past
  • Mental Toughness - your present
  • Grit - your future

Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
I especially liked the Can' Hurt Me audiobook from Goggins. Some of the podcast-style mid chapter discussions are where you can see how mental toughness is created out of what a person sees as necessity.

Curious about the "actual" impact of Goggins' insights. People absolutely love him and he deserves a high level of respect for all he's accomplished. But is his contribution in the area of mental toughness primarily "Rocky-like" motivation (we're fired up by seeing him in action) or are there insights that are truly applicable for the average person?

I'll hang up and listen :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
He’s a nice guy. I interviewed him for the Coffee, Beer, Coaching and Dogs podcast last year. His work is one piece of a larger amount of training that should be done with the brain and for endurance sports. If you have any questions, please let me know. http://cbcdmedia.com/...al-mental-toughness/[/url]

Tim

Tim - you NAILED it with that podcast title: Coffee, Beer, Coaching and Dogs? BOOM!
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [Ironcoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Tends to be a good shorthand for a lot of coaches' lives with obvious variations from coach to coach. I hear some like cats. Hope you are well.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [ScrapIronSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good morning - Crowie had me present an expanded version of my mental toughness PhD work last month and it was reminder I need to get this out there (and not just sitting in dissertation on bookshelf). Here's expanded version of how the fMT bank works and how to put the first of the 3 pieces (Thrive) into play with athletic or other pursuits: Hope it's helpful. Happy to answer questions that come up. I'll try to check back occasionally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironcoop wrote:
AKCrafty wrote:
I especially liked the Can' Hurt Me audiobook from Goggins. Some of the podcast-style mid chapter discussions are where you can see how mental toughness is created out of what a person sees as necessity.

Curious about the "actual" impact of Goggins' insights. People absolutely love him and he deserves a high level of respect for all he's accomplished. But is his contribution in the area of mental toughness primarily "Rocky-like" motivation (we're fired up by seeing him in action) or are there insights that are truly applicable for the average person?

I'll hang up and listen :-)

Just from a personality standpoint I'm not a Goggins fan. All the cursing and ranting is a big turn off for me. Now Crowie is a guy I really like. He's cool as a cucumber.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part II of the series of brief videos going into what the evidence says about how to improve mental toughness just went live. This one goes into the practical aspects of the 2nd part of the fMT trilogy: Prepare. Obviously applicable to us as endurance athletes, but also applies to students, business leaders, parents and others. Here's the link if it's an interest:

(Part I is in the description or you can see it in the string up above). Hope it's helpful to many!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really interesting thread. In college I always looked at mental toughness as a "bank" that I could store terrible experiences in, and pull from when the time came. 16 miles in the dead of winter when it's single digits and windy as heck. Mile repeats on a hot track. 100 mile weeks in late summer. I remember thinking about all of that during my fastest races, but the one thing they all had in common was zero pain. Clocked a 4:06 mile and 14:24 5K, and specifically remember on those last laps I was thinking about the last few intervals of my best workouts where I felt great, and how I was going to finish like a beast. Those days are decades in the past but I still think about them when I'm training. It certainly makes it easier to head out in the cold, rain, and brutal heat. I 100% believe that "suffer bank" makes suffering in the present more tolerable.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this has been addressed but the ability to endure has been fascinating to me for years.

However, I would love to see if there has been any research into people developing an "alter-ego" to go through trying times. Goggins is very much evidence of this. I vaguely remember there being a professional female triathlete who has done this, too... I just don't remember who it was.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question. We're finalizing the 3rd (of 3) videos for next week that touches on this concept. I'll try to remember to come back an post a link but it should be available next Wednesday.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bgoldstein wrote:
tamiii wrote:
Reminds me of the central governor theory and talks around brain plasticity. Not sure I understood all the concepts behind it but bottom line the more we do something uncomfortable the less painful it becomes.

Funny you mention central governor theory, it was hit on in a book I read that's somewhat related to the topic. Really interesting analysis of the mental side of endurance.

Book is Endure by Alex Hutchinson. Highly recommend it for anyone on here.

Such a great book. I may go read it a second time.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [ScrapIronSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just put together a trilogy of short videos on the practical strategies to improve mental toughness from my PhD work on the subject over the past several years and the last one just went live today. Here are links if interested. You're welcome to share with other athletes/coaches if beneficial as they're designed to be a freely available resource for all:

Happy to do my best to answer any questions, either here or via the comments section of video. I hope this little series is helpful to many regarding an area that is often left out of the training mix.
Quote Reply

Prev Next