Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

who makes the best ventilated helmet?
Quote | Reply
I'm riding in my old Giro Pneumo, which has phenomenal ventilation, but is well past it's expiry. I have another one (an Alpina mountain bike helmet) but it's just too hot for me on hard rides. Looking at the current offerings from Giro, it doesn't seem like they have as much ventilation (fewer ports, smaller ports) as the old one. What helmets should I be looking at? Don't care about aero, this is for training.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: who makes the best ventilated helmet? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the aether and it has plenty of ventilation.

I like the looks of abus helmets also but don’t have any experience with them.
Quote Reply
Re: who makes the best ventilated helmet? [MiRoBu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aether is waaaaay out of my price range. I had a look at Abus and they do seem line the venting is decent.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine for a little over 200. You just have to find it 20-25 percent off somewhere which is not easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro Synthe provides plenty of ventilation. And I’m in Texas. Honestly, once you get past a certain temperature, a couple extra holes that are a certain percentage bigger won’t make a bit of difference. You’re hot as heck, and getting about as much cooling as you will get while wearing a protective device.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 14, 20 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The POC Ventral Air Spin has extremely good ventilation. Perhaps even too good. I love it for hot days when I'll be grinding up long climbs, but on flatter faster days, I do notice more high speed collisions with flying bugs wind up with them inside the helmet. I can't imagine a better ventilated helmet that still offers top notch protection though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Giro Foray (non MIPS). Again, Texas. Works fine.

Wait...hot? In Halifax? When? Cuz current conditions up there look like what I call "Winter".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My POC Octal is pretty well ventilated. There's definitely been mornings where I wish it didn't work so well.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: who makes the best ventilated helmet? [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

robegan99 wrote:
The POC Ventral Air Spin has extremely good ventilation. Perhaps even too good. I love it for hot days when I'll be grinding up long climbs, but on flatter faster days, I do notice more high speed collisions with flying bugs wind up with them inside the helmet. I can't imagine a better ventilated helmet that still offers top notch protection though.

+1 here.

my only (admittedly small) beef is that with my emerging male pattern baldness I wear my older smith (kordroyd?) helmet more often so I don't have to put sunscreen or wear a light cap atop my noggin.
Quote Reply
Re: who makes the best ventilated helmet? [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim_Canterbury wrote:

+1 here.

my only (admittedly small) beef is that with my emerging male pattern baldness I wear my older smith (kordroyd?) helmet more often so I don't have to put sunscreen or wear a light cap atop my noggin.

My male patter is fully developed. So, I started wearing a Halo Headsock several years ago. Bonus that it actually helps keep sweat out of my eyes longer.
Quote Reply
Re: who makes the best ventilated helmet? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I use the Giro Foray (non MIPS). Again, Texas. Works fine.

Wait...hot? In Halifax? When? Cuz current conditions up there look like what I call "Winter".

Ironically, I think the poor ventilation of my mountain bike helmet is more noticeable on relatively cooler days when I’m doing sub-max tempo workouts. Nothing else is uncomfortable, so the helmet stands out. If it’s hotter than balls like in Muncie a couple of years ago, or back in Bermuda, then the better vented helmet didn’t seem to matter as much cuz you were just hot no matter what.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply