Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for their bikes but I bought a pair of the SLR-0 Aero 55 Wheels purely because they ticked all the boxes I needed at the time (weight, depth, fit my narrow chainstays etc) when few others did. I was surprised at how much I like them.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rather than run the risk of offending someone without meaning too... here is what I think.

If a bike just doesn't get your juices flowing for some reason... any reason (be it brand name, paintjob, the haircut of the guy selling it to you, whatever...) do NOT buy it. Just DON'T. You need to feel passion, connection, love for your machine. Life is too short man. I don't really follow the logic of exactly what you want from your rather meandering post, but look my friend, just shell out the extra money, hassle, or whatever is holding you back.... Get the the one you love and never look back.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you got it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They manufacture everything that Trek and Colnago sell...so they're fine.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike manufacturing is abit tricky. It's not so simple as 'Factory A builds for trek and colnago'.

Manufacturing bikes is alot like manufacturing many other things. Brands go to the factory that has the capacity at the lowest cost. Say you are a manufacturing manager for trek and you need 10000 speed concepts for next year's model. So you ask your favored supplier- say factory A - if they can deliver 10000 pieces by X date.

Let's say factory A gets back and says: sorry, I am full up making system sixes for Cannondale. So maybe you go to factory B. Or you even split manufacturing between A and B.

Giant have been known to make for trek, colnago, Scott, and many others at some point in time, but they certainly aren't the only manufacturer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fit is a problem for anyone not average
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The giant is a kilo lighter and frame looks more techy, so the warbird is probably better for bikepacking

One review said the giant rotor setup is noisey

Its funny with brand association... Giant sponsored the rabobank so in netherlands it probably has a more high end capability image

It makes me think when mark allen rode a schwinn huffy bike in the ironman it didnt look quite right, even though it was just a sticker on a high end frame (kestral I think). Same with Larsen on his mongoose rebranded hotta. Or seeing the first lamborghini jeep.

It kind of sucks being a label victum, but if thats how we are wired then wouldnt splash out that amount of money unless heart is in on it.

(Luckily I enjoyed my secondhand giants)
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Waingro wrote:
Last year, I was offered an insane deal on their top end TCR Advanced SL with DA Di2 everything. Seller was a super rich guy with whom I share a mechanic, and he just didn’t care what he got back for it. It was a half size too big for him and he rode it just a couple times.

I had a similar reaction to the brand—kinda like buying a Toyota or Honda.

But the thing is phenomenal. Just flawlessly engineered and perfect for me. I love the bike now, and view the brand as having an almost reverse cache to it—someone riding one of their top end bikes may be more about the quality than whatever the paint on the frame says.

In terms of brand cachet, Giant does as well as Hyaundai. In terms of actual quality, Giant is like Toyota/Lexus.

Except in terms of reality, most of the carbon and aluminum bikes, including those from mass market brands with more cachet (cough cough Specialized) is made by either Giant or Merida. A corresponding comparison would be something like BMW contracting out most of its production to Toyota.

None of this stuff is inherently rational when one digs into it

Maybe this says a lot about my thinking as we drive Hyundai Tuscon and bought a Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2 a few months later
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't liked Giant since they introduced the sloping top tube with only three sizes and offered a massive "aero" seatpost to go with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
I was all set on Giant and then my wife said I am better than Giant. She knows very little about bikes and she even has that image of Giants.

How much is Giant + custom paint job? Still cheaper than Salsa?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just seeing this OP and haven't read all replies but...

In 2012 when shopping for my first road bike, I went into it (and had the budget for it) thinking Cervelo, Trek, Bianchi, etc. The bike that I certainly wasn't shopping for was a Giant TCR2 but after multiple rides on the other brands, I walked out with the Giant. I LOVE it! I rode it for the Death Ride and it is an absolute machine climbing mountains!

The following year I purchased my Cervelo P2. Not once have I had buyers remorse purchasing either bike and I still rotate between them for training rides. Love, love, love the Giant (and the P2).

Edit: And to answer the OP question. Yes. Apple.
Last edited by: bmpskier: Sep 12, 20 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bgoldstein wrote:
Economist wrote:
I was all set on Giant and then my wife said I am better than Giant. She knows very little about bikes and she even has that image of Giants.

How much is Giant + custom paint job? Still cheaper than Salsa?

I'm not sure on that. The difference in price between the two bikes is $612. The new wheelset I'm looking at is $1000. So the savings can cover a lot of that.....but it's a Giant. lol.

I wish it got some sort of bad reviews but both bikes get stellar reviews.

Quote | Reply
Where do you see weights? Salsa publishes weights but I couldn't find Giant. Where did I miss it?

I'm really buying the frame since my current gravel bike has brand new GRX Di2. I need a slightly larger frame.

I did hear that about the rotor but reading further into it, sounds like its a setup issue not a component issue. Either way, those low end components will go on my Diverge and I'll sell that.

Quote | Reply
I would go Giant over Salsa if fit is not an issue. I see plenty of TCX's at gravel and cyclocross races. Also, quite a few revolts. They are solid. I don't know much about Salsa, other than I have an image of dude with a shaggy beard and cargo shorts trekking across the States with crap bolted all over the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I googled giant revolt specs and weight came up

You could put a black vinyl sticker band around the downtube over the labels like a 3t bike etc... No brand downtubes seems to be fashion lately since rapha made simplicity expensive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2017 TCR and I absolutely love it. Snappy, stiff, handles great, and good value. No complaints whatsoever. That said, I totally understand not being attracted to Giant as a brand - they come off as boring and bland. And I agree with others that you should buy the bike that excites you. But I kind of dig riding the "sleeper" bike on group rides with much more expensive bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
I am in West Michigan. Village bike is who did my fit.

I haven't been in Village in quite a while, I didn't realize they were selling Giant. Rock n Road on the lakeshore is the big Giant dealer over here.

Somebody mentioned Hyundai, I think that's a perfect analogy. They make fine cars with very little flash. Nobody brags about their new Hyundai.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant frames are outstanding value for money. Far better than competing brands. I've only bought frames and then built them up.

Giant is the only carbon frame that I would confidently buy used. They control the process themselves and tend to use quite a bit more material. Makes a big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with this- the bike has to speak to you! For example- A bike can be perfect but if I don’t like the looks/color it’s a dealbreaker.

wintershade wrote:
Rather than run the risk of offending someone without meaning too... here is what I think.

If a bike just doesn't get your juices flowing for some reason... any reason (be it brand name, paintjob, the haircut of the guy selling it to you, whatever...) do NOT buy it. Just DON'T. You need to feel passion, connection, love for your machine. Life is too short man. I don't really follow the logic of exactly what you want from your rather meandering post, but look my friend, just shell out the extra money, hassle, or whatever is holding you back.... Get the the one you love and never look back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant and Cannondale. For some reason, just do nothing for me.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COBRI wrote:
Agree with this- the bike has to speak to you! For example- A bike can be perfect but if I don’t like the looks/color it’s a dealbreaker.

True. The fact is, high end bikes are much more similar than they are different. Buy the one you like and will ride the most. For me, brand perception matters much more than it should. I really don't want to be riding the same bike as everyone else or some bike that nobody's ever heard of. I just ordered a new Scott, partially because of brand perception and partially because I just love the way it looks.

Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
But I kind of dig riding the "sleeper" bike on group rides with much more expensive bikes.

YES!!

Regarding the Hyundai analogy...A better care comparison might be Volvo. Many of the same bells and whistles as an Audi but but lacks the same allure (I also drive a Volvo and my daughter drives a Hyundai).
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmpskier wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
But I kind of dig riding the "sleeper" bike on group rides with much more expensive bikes.

YES!!

Regarding the Hyundai analogy...A better care comparison might be Volvo. Many of the same bells and whistles as an Audi but but lacks the same allure (I also drive a Volvo and my daughter drives a Hyundai).

I would disagree on Volvo lacking allure. They are on the same level as BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. We bought a new BMW SUV last December and were torn between that and Volvo. The Volvo was actually more money so we bought the BMW.

Maybe Giant is like a Chevy Traverse vs luxury SUV

Quote | Reply
Hopefully it’s been mentioned here already but Giant serves as the 3rd party manufacturer for many, many bike brands.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it’s been mentioned. I’m going to order the Salsa on Monday. As I said before, I’m really buying the frame. I’m just going to put the components on my Diverge and sell it (my bike has Di2 so that goes on Salsa).

One thing I noticed about the Giant components is that they are 10-speed. I think that will make it hard to sell my diverge. The Salsa is 11-speed Apex. I know Apex is not all that but at least it’s 11 speed.

Prev Next