Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: new peloton Bike+
Quote | Reply
Peloton announced their new bike today. My wife just bought one that was delivered a week ago. They are auto providing a credit back of 350 for anyone that got within 30 days. Or you can get the new one which is 2500. Old one is now 1900, so would have been 2250 before.

The main difference to me is that it now adds an auto resistance feature that will adjust automatically. That’s been where bike trainers have gone and figure that’s probably worth it.

Of course the bikes not out yet, but any Peloton users (or any) have any thoughts about getting for the resistance feature?

Other main changes look like a better sound bar, screen that adjusts 180 degrees to do other workouts, and some better syncing like to the Apple Watch.

https://blog.onepeloton.com/...palhWB2U1Il1QflJsgdM). It looks like you guys would qualify for a credit because of the lowered price point on the current bike.

Recent Purchase Refund
For the newest Members of our Peloton family, we want you to know how much we value your commitment to Peloton. That’s why we’re automatically refunding Members who are still within the 30-Day Home Trial window or are awaiting delivery of their original Peloton Bike the $350 price difference plus tax, which will appear on your original form of payment in 7-10 business days. Refunds to Affirm loans used to finance your purchase will reduce the balance of your loan, which may reduce the number of payments and/or the amount of your final payment, but your standard monthly payment will remain the same. If you would prefer to return your current Bike and purchase a Bike+ at an additional cost and with added wait time, please reach out to our Member Support team and we will get back to you in the next 2-3 weeks with estimated timing to complete your Bike return and Bike+ purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [the V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok my short answer if the $ isn’t a huge deal is to trade your wife’s bike in and get the new bike+. I’m currently finishing my basement and we plan to get my wife a peloton. We’re going to get the bike+, for her the Apple Watch integration is the biggest selling point as she wants to use her watch with the bike and was annoyed when she heard what she was going to have to with the old model. I’m quite happy will no longer have to deal IT adventures for her to get HR tracking the way she wants.

The better screen, sound bar, Apple Watch integration are all part of an improved component package that undoubtedly has faster processors etc. They even mentioned in marketing somewhere that it would allow more future upgrades. Given they stopped supporting the original bike’s monitor processor and made people pay to upgrade to a newer monitor, you’re buying some longevity with the bike+.

On the less enthusiastic side, I saw maybe on the DCR twitter feed a comment on how poor the power accuracy is of peloton so wouldn’t expect the resistance feature to be that compelling for folks used to smart trainers. But for someone that likes spin bikes this is still an upgrade.

I’ve rarely regretted buying the more featured/better model, but often felt like i made the wrong decision a year or so later when I bought the cheaper/older model to save some short term money. If this was something you’d plan to replace every 2-3 years I’d view it differently.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [Finigan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Finigan. Some great perspective and thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [Finigan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not super familiar with how the peloton bike works, but was thinking about it for the wife.
What is the difference between using their bike, vs using your own real bike on a trainer with an Ipad or similar?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to my wife about this yesterday since we have one. She has almost a thousand rides on the bike....she rides every day and absolutely loves the bike.

So.....what about all the new features?

She has NO DESIRE for the instructor to auto change her resistance. She likes to do that and dial in her power numbers she knows based on her zones. She is also an apple watch user and that feature isn't compelling at all for her as she already has her own process for recording her metrics. The sound bar, while nice, isn't compelling at all as well since 99% of the rides and classes she takes are done so with wireless ear pods in. And lastly, the screen rotating.....again, not compelling for her as she streams (I think they call it multicast?) any non-bike classes (strength/boot camp/yoga/stretch/etc) straight to the big screen TV.

Now, with that said, if we were buying our first bike we'd definitely go with the new upgraded model for nothing other than having the newest tech under the hood should we want to try it. But as an upgrade from our current bike? No.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Peloton bike is way more interactive and easier to use than a normal trainer with the Peloton iPad app. I did a few rides with friends using the iPad setup, and it is just so-so. The challenge is that you need to put your trainer into a resistance mode, and then you shift the gears to match the workout in the video. You are not on the leaderboard with your friends, and kind of otherwise invisible.

The Peloton has a very easy resistance adjustment that you constantly use when in a video. This is one of its design strengths that lets everyone in the (virtual) room both participate with everyone else and work to your own ability. I am curious how the new auto-controlled resistance will play. I suspect that most spin class users would not use it as much, but people doing the newer simulation rides would use it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I'm not super familiar with how the peloton bike works, but was thinking about it for the wife.
What is the difference between using their bike, vs using your own real bike on a trainer with an Ipad or similar?

1) pricing - the iPad app is $14 a month, the peloton app for their bike is $40 a month
2) with just the app, you won’t be included in the leaderboard and some of the social aspects. This review covers some of the difference - pay attention to the screen shots of the IOS app and the Peloton app on their bike - fewer metrics If you don’t have their bike.
https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/...ios-cycling-app-4099

One difference not mentioned in that review, during the spin classes, the instructor will say, “set the resistance to....” a number, if your not on a Peloton bike you need to estimate the resistance. Not a big deal.

I’m currently on a trial of the IPAD app using a spin bike in my building’s gym. At the least, download the app and look at the classes offered.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info. I actually came to the same question about app vs bike. Because as I thought about this more I’m like why aren’t we getting a Wahoo Kickr Bike that I’d want to use vs the Peloton.

My wife’s draw is the interactive aspect, leaderboard, peloton autocomparing to your personal bests, etc.

Sounds like there is no way to link the non-Peloton bike back to the app?

I know you can get replacement monitors stand-alone which is meant for when they’ve upgraded them for prior owners to replace.

I assume you can’t just buy their monitor and have it sync to other equipment? Every other app allows metrics to be fed into it and the monitor has bluetooth but sounds like that’s not a function?

Otherwise don’t think I’m winning the battle to get a smart trainer bike instead...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the V wrote:
Good info. I actually came to the same question about app vs bike. Because as I thought about this more I’m like why aren’t we getting a Wahoo Kickr Bike that I’d want to use vs the Peloton.

My wife’s draw is the interactive aspect, leaderboard, peloton autocomparing to your personal bests, etc.

Sounds like there is no way to link the non-Peloton bike back to the app?

I know you can get replacement monitors stand-alone which is meant for when they’ve upgraded them for prior owners to replace.

I assume you can’t just buy their monitor and have it sync to other equipment? Every other app allows metrics to be fed into it and the monitor has bluetooth but sounds like that’s not a function?

Otherwise don’t think I’m winning the battle to get a smart trainer bike instead...

You cannot link your metrics to the app. I'm pretty sure they thought about this intentionally or people would try to build their own "Peloton" from scratch. Personally, I would have raised the cost of the standalone app as a mid tier pricing that allows connection of metrics like the bike. I think that would have brought in even more riders.

FYI...I initially started out with the Peloton we ordered years ago as MY bike and really enjoyed it but once I got serious about long course racing, I made the move to Trainerroad connected to my road bike on a Wahoo KICKR. I'd still do the occasional pro ride with Hincappe & VandeVelde on the Peloton bike but then my wife gave the bike a try and has been hooked ever since. So much so that we ended up buying a second one for our vacation home b/c she can't be without her bike EVER. *facepalm*

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course, my wife is just a couple weeks outside refund window. After waiting like 10 weeks for delivery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one and we are quite happy with it. All four in the family use it.

The power numbers aren't super accurate but they are consistent from one ride to the next. So the improvement I've seen on the Peloton absolutely has carried over to the road/trail.

The Peloton tablet keeps track of your results and shows you when you are in or out of a prescribed cadence, power zone, or resistance. You can see how your current ride is pacing compared to other rides of the same duration. Guessing about the resistance in particular gets pretty hard when you are tired.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used one before, but just for curiosity sake, let's say you're a rider with FTP 150 or 200, or 250+ - how would you stack up on the typical Peloton standings?
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 11, 20 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the Peloton FTP test I'm showing an FTP of 290. I know that is high but I don't know by how much. My fitness has improved quite a bit in the past few months and I've been riding trail without a PM a lot more than road. But my wild guess based on previous tests on a normal trainer would be that I'm in the 260-270 range.

Last night I was in the top 1000 of 55,000 for a 60 min ride. But that's just total output and doesn't consider body weight so you can't get to jazzed about it (I used to lift a lot, I'm a bit big for a cyclist). Also it was a super popular ride with a popular instructor. Some instructors and types of classes tend to attract stronger riders. On power zone rides I don't get to as high a percentile on most of those rides. And last night was a PR for total output in a 60 minute ride by a fair amount.

I used to use the Peloton bikes at our local YMCA. They were calibrated differently. I couldn't repeat some of the PR's from the left bike on the right bike or on the one I now have at home.

Personal preference about instructors is a hot topic in my household.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nordictrack S22i has had the auto resistance from trainer and outdoor courses, and the swivel screen. Peleton is just catching up.

Nordictrack also has auto incline up to 20% and 10% decline (think Kickr Climb but moves slower up and down). My wife loves it and now that they added live classes there's no reason to go Peleton. I still prefer my Kickr core with climb and zwift though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m fairly new to the indoor cycling virtual worlds.
Does Peloton offer a virtual cycling experience similar to Zwift or is it only spin type class instructions?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [pedalduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s like spin class.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:

but then my wife gave the bike a try and has been hooked ever since. So much so that we ended up buying a second one for our vacation home b/c she can't be without her bike EVER. *facepalm*

Sounds like a woman after our own hearts - hold on to her!
Quote Reply
Re: OT: new peloton Bike+ [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
TX83 wrote:

but then my wife gave the bike a try and has been hooked ever since. So much so that we ended up buying a second one for our vacation home b/c she can't be without her bike EVER. *facepalm*

Sounds like a woman after our own hearts - hold on to her!

haha, you ain't kidding. I'm not letting this one go!

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own a Peloton (there is one in my building I use from time to time) but I do own a competitor version - Proform which is part of Nordictrac family. They have auto resistance as well but I find it to default too low and I just manually change. It's not adjusted for rider weight and I'm 180lbs - my wife likes it though.

My BIL bought the top end Proform or Nordictrac and it has the auto resistance as well as auto incline and a big screen that spins. So pretty similar to Peloton at similar price point, think it's $2500. But between the two, I'd prefer Peloton just for the better number of classes and instructors. It's a little week on the Proform side. We only bought the standard Proform bike as it's essentially free - it's on a 0% financing plan for 3 years and they threw in 3 years of subscription for free; so $40 a month all in.
Quote Reply