Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMCDA vs IMLP (vs IMMT)
Quote | Reply
Hi All --

I could use some help from veterans of these courses. Trying to decide which race to sign up for in 2021. Please spare me the "races won't happen until 2022" rant. If my registration is deferred a year, that's perfectly fine.

I'm signed up to do IM Mont Tremblant 2021 already (deferral from 2020), but my wife and I "pulled the goalie" and are trying for baby #2. So doing IMCDA (June 27) or IMLP (July 25) might be more realistic than IMMT (Aug 22) depending on how long it takes us to get pregnant. Plus I do think staying domestic might be a safer bet as who knows what international travel restrictions will look like next summer. The obvious thing would be to wait until Dec/Jan and make a decision based on pregnancy timing, but I do have concerns that these races might sell out given deferrals from 2020 and given that CDA is not every year race.

The big knock on CDA for me, is it's much bigger hassle to get to. I could drive to IMMT (7 hrs) and IMLP (5 hrs) which would be nice not to have to break down bike. IMCDA would involve a connecting flight or private charter.

Most likely wife and son will stay home, and I'll be joined by my 70-year old, Ironmom, pending vaccine availability, otherwise I'll race alone. So this won't be a family vacation or anything. My Ironmans tend to be more like surgical operations -- show up, do the race, go home while IronMom mingles with the locals talking about the good old days of multisport.
Last edited by: wintershade: Sep 4, 20 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA vs IMLP (vs IMMT) [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar question asked here which elicited some good responses: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=cda#p7312306

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done IMMT once, never done IMLP but know LP well and have seen all of the course with my own eyes via car/foot. Never been to or done IMCDA.

My 0.02 is simply that IMMT is a great, great race venue. Having the village with great hotels right there is awesome. Course is spectacular - scenic, challenging but totally fair, spectator friendly (for an IM). There are lots of IMMT vs. IMLP threads of their own, check those out. I was between those two and chose MT and loved every minute of it. I would add that I very much would have preferred the shorter drive home from IMLP day after the race. Getting thru Montreal and over the border really added a lot of time to the drive home. I don't regret doing IMMT for this reason...It's splitting hairs, but it's something to factor in to the travel time. Who knows how COVID will affect the border crossing but I'm sure it could only make it more difficult.

Just today my wife asked me if I've ever considered IMCDA (I'm on east coast). I most certainly have, but like you say, it's not the easiest to get to. But, it seems like a very IMMT/IMLP-esque venue on the west coast. Lake swim, resort town, great crowds, challenging/stimulating course, and people talk very, very highly of it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA vs IMLP (vs IMMT) [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both.

Yeah, I read through the LP vs MT threads back in 2019 and chose MT despite the slightly longer drive primarily due to hotel availability walking distance from start line. I find I get stressed around IMs and really like to optimize for minimal logistical stress. I did Chatty 70.3 a few years back and being walking distance from transition, finish-line, swim bus pickup just made everything SO much more enjoyable. I'd have signed up for the full were it not for the risk of insane heat and the extra miles on bike course.

My concern I suppose is 1) the "unknown" potential border crossing hassles might outweigh the "known" hassle of schlepping to CDA, and 2) late-August will likely put me in the "no fly zone" unless it takes us longer than 5 months to get pregnant, but last time it only took one shot on goal. So I'd like to have a backup option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are contemplating IMCDA which requires a west coast trip, why not thrown IMC into the mix? All are similar courses. IMMT is certainly a solid first choice.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA vs IMLP (vs IMMT) [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMC is a great suggestion. I did IMC Whistler in 2018 but not the Pendicton course which I’ve heard is better.

It I’m trying to find something sooner (May-June) ideally and avoid a border crossing though. So it’s really between Tulsa (no interest), CDA (too hard to get to), and LP (which seems like the best choice the more I think about it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMC Penticton, IMMT and IMLP. All great races for different reasons. IMHO IMMT is the best. Great roads, great village, Insane scenery, great atmosphere, great fireworks the night before the race, course is family friendly...I could go on and on. One thing I really liked about the IMMT bike course was that you really never use the brakes (except for Duplessis due to speed limit). It makes for the potential of a great bike leg. I always felt like I was on my brakes at IMLP Anyway, I did 5 IMs and my favorite is IMMT.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply