Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar Replacement Time - <$500
Quote | Reply
I'm at the point I need to start looking at replacing my front end. I'm hoping to do Waco 70.3 in October (one can dream). After that, I'm hoping to target my first full for next year.

I'm currently on a P2 with a Brezza II set of bars. I'm needing to get more adjustment, nicer cups, and longer extensions. Nicer cable routing wouldn't hurt, but I'm running mechanical so I can't get too greedy.

Currently I'm looking at three options:

PD Aeria AL Evo @ $371

SVET R basebar + Sonic Ergo 35a @ $450 (Possibly replace the Svet R with Prosvet for $100 less)

Vision SI 013 @ $480 (current sale)

I'm I giving anything up to go with aluminum bars?
Is there much value between a PD combo verses an integrated set (Vision)?
Is it worth it to try and raise my price a bit for used Alpha X (would need extensions)?

Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Replacement Time - <$500 [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really like that Aeria option, especially with the stem and integrated hydration option

As for carbon vs. aluminum, there may be a very slight weight reduction. Plus they look cooler. Vibration dampening is pure marketing hype. The biggest advantage seems to be the ability to customize shape of the bars, but that's gonna be way more than $500
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM.

Of the options you listed I’d probably go with the Vision. The others don’t come with risers - so you’d have to spend more money on those to dial in fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Replacement Time - <$500 [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Selcof plus an Aeria Ultimate stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Replacement Time - <$500 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Selcof plus an Aeria Ultimate stem.
I would agree that pretty much anything plus the Aeria stem would be a great option. Presuming you do the whole hydration unit of course as the stem is quite heavy on its own. That hydration unit makes almost any bike look cleaner and is almost certainly faster as well. This would probably work with the vision bars as well but sometimes if the risers are too close together it can not leave enough room for the bottle depending on the amount of stack you have. Just something to keep in mind.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replied to the PM. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in my complete armchair opinion, i don't think alu vs. carbon matters in this area. unless you're a weight weenie, of course, but i think it's been well established recently that bike/component weight doesnt matter that much. if at all. from a performance comparison perspective.

PD gets huge kudos in my book for making an aluminum bar like this. it's definitely on my short list if i was going to upgrade my bars. gets you all the function of the $700 to $1k integrated carbon bars, without that huge price tag. it gets my vote on value alone.

you seem to indicate the PD isn't an "integrated" option like the vision. Maybe semantics but it looks pretty integrated to me. It isn't just a plain basebar with clip on bars. The brackets are integrated into the base bar and allow for tilt, extensions are telescopic, all that good stuff. I'd call that an integrated bar. so to answer that question, maybe you're giving up a couple watts to the $1000 aerobars of the world, but probably not to the others in this price point you mention.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Replacement Time - <$500 [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently upgraded my cockpit looking for the best value. I found the PD bars/extensions to be the best value. Strangely the aluminium extensions are lighter than the carbon versions and 1/3 the price. I prefer a stiffer extension as well. I feel like I can rip the 3Ts apart with my hands with everything torqued to spec. 3Ts bend like rubber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
you seem to indicate the PD isn't an "integrated" option like the vision. Maybe semantics but it looks pretty integrated to me.

Realized I should have been more clear after I typed it. The 'not integrated' reference was in regards to a Svet + Clip-on bar combo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard that the TriRig Alpha One is worth the price.

I'm waiting for one that I ordered a couple months ago and can't wait to try it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote would be for the Aeria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the Vision SI 013. I went with the Metron TFA on a build I did with an Orbea Ordu and it looks sick. You will really like the Vision bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
in my complete armchair opinion, i don't think alu vs. carbon matters in this area. unless you're a weight weenie, of course, but i think it's been well established recently that bike/component weight doesnt matter that much. if at all. from a performance comparison perspective.

IMO, carbon, while lighter, is a far more comfortable ride.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Replacement Time - <$500 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget you can use the one/seventeen stem and faceplate to use the hydration system as well. Lighter, more reach customization (available in 10mm increments), and I doubt when assembled there would be a measurable aero difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to balance the twin goals of better position (the best way to buy speed) and more aero kit I'd work out how to fit the HSF Aeria into your budget.
You can't buy a bar that is much faster than the Brezza (if just considering bars without adjustment as a factor).

As Greenplease mentioned - the best way to do that is a 1/seventeen stem with HSF faceplate.

Hydroformed alloy bars perform so close to carbon that it's not worth worrying about. The Aeria AL is really expensive to make but has been priced low to give a strong option for speed/$.
The Aeria Al only goes to 10deg for aerobar tilt so you need to think about whether that is a limitation.

The best way to hit your target price and get max speed would be a PD Ozero TT basebar (hydroformed), Sonic/Ergo aerobar, 1/seventeen stem and the HSF aeria. Then you have heaps of adjustment and better aero. Next step up would be Aeria AL (if the 10deg works).

Used alpha X would be a good option if it has tilt kit and the ergo armrests. If it doesn't have those you're just going sideways.

I'd also suggest you look closely at the bracket design of various options to make sure they don't have holes drilled in high load locations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
Of the options you listed I’d probably go with the Vision. The others don’t come with risers - so you’d have to spend more money on those to dial in fit.

There are many reports of those breaking. Might be why they are on sale... good to check if they've been redesigned at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went and looked at the Brezza 2 bars again (so many bars out there) and I have no idea why you would be replacing your cockpit. My suggestion would be to first Decide if there are big aero improvements from modifying your current position. Lots of people are finding slightly raised hands with a narrower setup is faster. Getting comfy in that type of position can require swapping out the arms pads for something with more surface area, higher sides and built in tilt angle. I would then use something like the USE aluminum or AeroCoach extensions.

Honestly, I would snoop around the internet for photos of the UK IM triathletes and 12 or 24 hour TT racers to get a better idea of what they are doing. They have spent lots of time on that balance between aero and comfort. I also wouldn’t hesitate to call AeroCoach and ask them for suggestions. Those guys give away so much useful information for free and I bet they have a ton of experience working with that cockpit.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Replacement Time - <$500 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
If you want to balance the twin goals of better position (the best way to buy speed) and more aero kit I'd work out how to fit the HSF Aeria into your budget.
You can't buy a bar that is much faster than the Brezza (if just considering bars without adjustment as a factor).

As Greenplease mentioned - the best way to do that is a 1/seventeen stem with HSF faceplate.

Much appreciated for all the feedback from everyone. I hadn't considered the HSF faceplate. I had already picked up a 1/seventeen stem to try to get more reach. Sounds like I may end up using if for the Aeria Hydration system if that stem can work with the new bars.
Quote Reply