Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Update: IM Florida [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
xarope8 wrote:
Never said surface contact was the issue but until a health dept can show me that a gym is responsible or pin cases or an outbreak happens there I will continue to defend gyms. Data and factual examples speak louder to me. Social distancing is happening at gyms and masks are worn during entrance and exit. So... gyms for me they are no riskier than any costco, grocery store, gas station, etc...

The most risky area are indoor group gatherings of family and friends that closely interact. Where social distancing and masks are few and far between.

Here is some related research done by the CDC. Only indoor dining and bars/coffee shops reach the level of unambiguous statistical significance, but gyms don’t show the best.

https://www.cdc.gov/...mm6936a5.htm#F1_down

...and churches

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [xarope8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/13/world/spinco-canada-covid-19-outbreak-trnd/index.html

There you go
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/13/world/spinco-canada-covid-19-outbreak-trnd/index.html

There you go

but the masked up both before *and* after classes... LOL

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work at 2 large gyms in a large city. We have not had an outbreak and we did not shut down in the last round of gym closures mandated by the government. The gym moved equipment outside and only offered outdoor access to limited numbers of members until they were allowed to move back indoors. There was no use of facilities inside apart from the indoor pool and locker room.

We are still running all cycle classes outside as well as yoga. All other classes are indoors and participants must wear a mask or shield at all times. There are staff who walk around giving gentle reminders if a mask so much as falls below your nose. Also, we use a medical grade disinfectant on every piece of equipment used after every class. Our cleaning protocol is insane. If we had outbreaks happening at the gym I would be the first to jump on and say it's not safe, but people who want to be there know the rules and are abiding by the rules 100%. There is no member in the building unmasked ever, and that is enforced.

I can't speak for every gym but this is the experience at mine and honestly, I'm proud of the efforts they have made to keep people moving. The stress on the managers to follow rapidly changing protocol and adapt to challenges like outdoor music complaints and quick changing government rules day in and day out has been astronomical, but the reward to the members who have shown up is worth it. They are happy, healthy and active with a social group around them while at the gym. The gym is also employing people who have a vested interest in following protocol because they want their jobs. Nothing is risk free but I can say this is about as low risk as you can be in a public setting.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [TriMom95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMom95 wrote:
Also, we use a medical grade disinfectant on every piece of equipment used after every class. Our cleaning protocol is insane. If we had outbreaks happening at the gym I would be the first to jump on and say it's not safe, but people who want to be there know the rules and are abiding by the rules 100%.... but I can say this is about as low risk as you can be in a public setting.

Like I have been saying, move it outside.

That said, a few comments... all the disinfectant and hand sanitizer stuff is probably just hygiene theater, in that it makes us feel better, but is probably not that important. Just stop talking to each other inside. At any rate, people who want to go to the gym are highly motivated people and I'm not surprised they are following the masking rules, which do work IMO. Finally, despite your experience and good example for all we can definitively say that even a well-run gym is not a low risk situation, it's medium risk at best.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric, I have not followed what is going on with IM Florida, but is it still on and are you racing, if so I wish you a great race. I think you did it last 2 years in a row?
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man i know the doom and gloomers have to be angry as heck this race is still going on
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Hollywood_USAF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hollywood_USAF wrote:
man i know the doom and gloomers have to be angry as heck this race is still going on

^^This

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that frustrates me was having my deferral into IMFL declined after IM Chattanooga was cancelled, lol. I'm glad you guys get to race. I'm bummed I can't be there to race especially with the weather being cooler this week. It's been hot.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hollywood_USAF wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:
Agree
Billabong wrote:
^^This

Nobody is going to be angry the race is going to happen. Least of all me. I hope everyone gets to race and has a safe and wonderful day. It's awesome that we might get a couple of races in before everything goes to hell again.

Just because someone is being pragmatic (or even pessimistic) about the situation doesn't mean they're going to get mad if the race happens. That's just a silly viewpoint to have.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question about the actual race since I'm now in for 2021....

The course is different than last year. Didn't last year start at the boardwalk beach hotel? Reading other threads it seems like 2019 is an outlier and this 2020 course is the standard layout. Is that right? Is this year's course to be expected again in 21? Obv I know 2018 was an outlier since it was in a totally different place...

Thanks good luck to all racing this year be safe
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Hollywood_USAF wrote:

Rideon77 wrote:
Agree

Billabong wrote:
^^This

Nobody is going to be angry the race is going to happen. Least of all me. I hope everyone gets to race and has a safe and wonderful day. It's awesome that we might get a couple of races in before everything goes to hell again.

Just because someone is being pragmatic (or even pessimistic) about the situation doesn't mean they're going to get mad if the race happens. That's just a silly viewpoint to have.

What do you mean? That response doesn't fit the us vs. them narrative.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

The course is different than last year. Didn't last year start at the boardwalk beach hotel? Reading other threads it seems like 2019 is an outlier and this 2020 course is the standard layout. Is that right? Is this year's course to be expected again in 21? Obv I know 2018 was an outlier since it was in a totally different place...

The race has always started at boardwalk beach hotel with 2018 (Haines city) and 2020 being the exceptions. This year, the race was moved to pier park (5 miles north). I assume that move was made for more available space at that new venue. It’s unclear whether pier park will be the new location of the race going forward or if it will go back to the original location. The bike course is mostly the same between the two with a few minor tweaks.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Nov 2, 20 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:

The race has always started at boardwalk beach hotel with 2018 (Haines city) and 2020 being the exceptions. This year, the race was moved to pier park (5 miles north). I assume that move was made for more available space at that new venue. It’s unclear whether pier park will be the new location of the race going forward or if it will go back to the original location. The bike course is mostly the same between the two with a few minor tweaks.

Ohh ok, interesting, thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
stevej wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:

Ohh ok, interesting, thanks!!

I should mention that they did change the bike course in 2019. I forget the details of the change but it wasn’t anything significant (it’s still flat AF).

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next