Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: September 2020 Swim Thread [swb384] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kingsbury in Medfield. They put a bubble on the pool from Sept to May. There’s also a similar pool in Wayland, which is closer to Walden. Bubble top, which they take off in the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: September 2020 Swim Thread [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
have a lane reserved for tomorrow a 8am!

haven't swum in liquid in over a year!

Don't forget to exhale when your face is in the water ;-)

Do report back.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: September 2020 Swim Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful, I’ll check that out. Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: September 2020 Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10.5 mi run 1:35:05
1000m swim straight with some kicking (didn't have much time)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how was it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not pretty

the vasa, the way i've been using it, is great for holistic back health and will prevent a trip to the chiro later this week but didn't do much in the way of making the swim any less arduous. tho i've got some ideas for how to better use it. Still not gonna fix the aerobic component tho.

the Ferrari chassis demands a lot of oxygen and right now i'm operating with a prius engine

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
not pretty

the vasa, the way i've been using it, is great for holistic back health and will prevent a trip to the chiro later this week but didn't do much in the way of making the swim any less arduous. tho i've got some ideas for how to better use it. Still not gonna fix the aerobic component tho.

the Ferrari chassis demands a lot of oxygen and right now i'm operating with a prius engine

did it feel good to be back in the water?

my first swim back after the month+ that my pool was closed due to COVID was so good that I wanted to go under and not come up for air because the nice cold silky wet was so good

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for about 11 strokes and then had to stop at the wall cuz i was out of breath and was like "okay, so that's how this is gonna go"

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the choppy waters of Rolley Lake, British Columbia. An easy cruise down to the end of the lake in 15:03. Did easy 70 strokes hard 30 strokes X 9 to come back to shore in just under 17 min.

It's getting colder....

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.8 mi run in 65 minutes
1000m swim easy
lifted a little

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2500 SCY/45 minute limit
1000FR (14:07)
400IM Kick
6x100P in 1:30 (1:15-8)
6x50 Stroke on 60 (42-7)
4x25 FR in 30 (17-8)
100 Drill/warmdown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a couple fun ocean swims the past two days. Mid-60s temperature, some healthy chop and sets of waves coming in every 12 minutes or so. These were unusual in that they seemed to be coming from two directions and the period between waves was super short. The less experienced got tumbled, lost fins, lost cap and goggles. I have fun in it!
Today, a few hours after swim, I ran a 5k for time. I suck!! Was hoping to break 23 minutes. 23:32 and that’s with a few stops to bring my HR down. Still get an Afib attack - hit 225! Plus, my spine issues and now arthritic hip. Far cry from high 18s to mid 19s of the past ten years (or more), but I guess I should be happy to have a sub-8 pace.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: September 2020 Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a short Aquabike race today, I'm not sure of the actual distance - probably about 550 OWS yards. Came in 14th out of 72 competitors, not too bad for my advanced age of 67.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's mid day workout was a full tri

15 min ride to pool, 3000m swim including 1x800IM in 14:59, 5x200IM on 4 min, 50 min ride back home, grabbed a banana and a cold coffee and some pretzels and then jogged over to track and did 10x400m (coming in at 1:45, 35 seconds 100m jogging recovery), then run home, total 8.5 km

So 3000m swim, 37km ride, 8.5 km run

Originally it was going to be 15 min "transport ride to pool" hard swim and "15 min transport ride home.....and then out of nowhere a triathlon with one racer precipitated out of nowhere.....no Ironman over inflated fees, no active.com fees, no minimum overnite stays in hotels, no hype, no one proclaiming I am an Ironman or anything, no T shirts, no medals, no podiums, just the sport in its most pure form

Back to the pool for swim number two in 15 minutes!!!

I also surpassed 500km of swimming for the year inclusive of missing 3 months. I should be able to hit 800km total for the year, but the hard part is reserving swim slots, not the actual swimming!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first Covid19 Brute squad: 200 fly + 1500 free + 400IM

This was done in the last 40 min of 4 hrs of swimming in less than 24 hrs, so I was probably not "rested enough" doing this in the final 2100m of 11,000m during that time (plus I had a track run session yesterday.

Anyway, I thought I was going to die during the 200 fly....3:45 (that should have felt easy enough)....the first 100m of the 1500 free were like hell, I barely broke 1:50 then grouped on a 1:42 to 1:44 pace per 100m. Ended the 1500 free in 26:10 and started the 400IM at 29:56 on the 'race clock' (good to have a big digital clock at the end of the lane. 400IM was 1:58 100 fly, 2:00 100 back, 1:58 100 breast, and then I was on empty for the 100 free and only managed 1:44 and ended in 37:39. I was a minute faster in the 1500 free and 20 seconds faster in the 400IM before Covid19.

I will give it a try again next week and do it after a 10 minute warmup (versus during the final 40 min of a 1:50 swim session). It should be possible to at least go 40 seconsd faster and break 37 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you gone back yet?

my past few days:
donated blood midday Friday
S - 7 mi easy run
S - 77.5 mi easy ride
M - 5 mi run (4 @ 8:34/mi) + 5700 scm swim

If you're new here, I find monotony soothing, which should explain the following

40 x 100 on 1:45
17 x 100 mixing kick and swim on no particular intervals

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to the vasa in the garage, yes.
to the pool for 9 bucks a visit, not yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took five years off (ten years if you only count "serious" training).

Probably the last swim of the year before they close the pool:

4x100 on 1:25 (hold 1:07)
4x50 (hold :32)

Total: 1,100 yds (I'm old, and that hurt more than it should've)

First strava comment (old training buddy): "sprinter yardage, huh?"
Quote Reply
Re: September 2020 Swim Thread [gatorFL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Took five years off (ten years if you only count "serious" training).

Probably the last swim of the year before they close the pool:

4x100 on 1:25 (hold 1:07)
4x50 (hold :32)

Total: 1,100 yds (I'm old, and that hurt more than it should've)

First strava comment (old training buddy): "sprinter yardage, huh?"

sorry your pool is being closed :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11 mi run 1h35
800 m swim straight with some kicking

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last one of the month. In the dark and outside.
2500 SCY total
1000 (14:15)
6x100P on 1:30 (1:16s)
8x50 stroke in 60 (38-46)
100 easy.
Have plateaued, so will look to change it up in October, within the 45 minute/session constraint.
Quote Reply
Re: September 2020 Swim Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the shallows of Whonnock Lake. 14:17 and 900 strokes to cross. Bi-lateral on the way back in 14:23 and 870 strokes. No wind.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next