Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers! They also have flanges on the new ones to help when extra sweaty

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the aftershokz titanium.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Do yourself a favor and buy these: https://www.amazon.com/...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I had the original version that were not IPX7. I got over a year out of them, then they stopped charging. I emailed customer service and they sent me a new pair, and they are the 2nd gen, IPX7 waterproof version. This new version will sync L or R or both. Great if you're out for more than 4-5 hours. You can toss the other earbud in the case (or without the case and turn it off). Great customer service, and I doubt you'll find better a better deal for true wireless, IPX7 headphones with great customer service. If you're riding or running outside, you shouldn't be using both earbuds anyway!

Edit: On sale for $32. 16k+ reviews, most 4-5 star.

Got them today. First impression is that they're pretty great. They fit my ears very well and don't foresee them coming out while running. I actually think their ear bud hook/insert system is pretty well thought out as is the general shape. Used them for music and calls for about two hours and had over 50% battery remaining. Audio quality I would rate as an 8/10, certainly good enough for my purposes.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [slower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slower wrote:
andrewjshults wrote:
AfterShokz Titanium are $80 now - https://aftershokz.com/us/products/titanium - bone conduction, so different than what you had, but my preferred exercise headphones now. I've killed too many other "sweat-proof" regular headphones in the past.

I learned about these from this forum and am sold. Solid design and they also solved the issue I had with wind noise when running on a windy day with the in the ear type of headphones.

Can you expand on this? Are you saying that you don't hear wind noise with the Aftershokz while running

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
Do yourself a favor and buy these: https://www.amazon.com/...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I had the original version that were not IPX7. I got over a year out of them, then they stopped charging. I emailed customer service and they sent me a new pair, and they are the 2nd gen, IPX7 waterproof version. This new version will sync L or R or both. Great if you're out for more than 4-5 hours. You can toss the other earbud in the case (or without the case and turn it off). Great customer service, and I doubt you'll find better a better deal for true wireless, IPX7 headphones with great customer service. If you're riding or running outside, you shouldn't be using both earbuds anyway!

Got them today. First impression is that they're pretty great. They fit my ears very well and don't foresee them coming out while running. I actually think their ear bud hook/insert system is pretty well thought out as is the general shape. Used them for music and calls for about two hours and had over 50% battery remaining. Audio quality I would rate as an 8/10, certainly good enough for my purposes.

You will have to circle back around after you get some runs in as I am always curious how the various designs shape up for running, and not just for a single set of ears. Also, would be curious about the voice calls. With the Airpods the "transparency mode" is another killer feature. It makes it much easier to hear yourself talk. Maybe I am the only person that thinks about it, but for the full form-fitting ear buds that block the canal, well I find talking very distracting because of the Occlusion Effect. Again maybe it is my hyper-awareness of my own ears that cues me into this and is just something others either don't notice or don't have a problem with.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AfterShokz hands down
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

You will have to circle back around after you get some runs in as I am always curious how the various designs shape up for running, and not just for a single set of ears. Also, would be curious about the voice calls. With the Airpods the "transparency mode" is another killer feature. It makes it much easier to hear yourself talk. Maybe I am the only person that thinks about it, but for the full form-fitting ear buds that block the canal, well I find talking very distracting because of the Occlusion Effect. Again maybe it is my hyper-awareness of my own ears that cues me into this and is just something others either don't notice or don't have a problem with.

FWIW, I have been using these in Dallas this summer while on long sweaty rides and have had no issues. I don’t run so I can’t help there. But they get a good seal if you pick the right size tip.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
AfterShokz hands down

I see a couple of people recommending AfterShokz but nobody recommending them is really say why, just recommending. What are the defining features of AfterShokz that make them such a killer recommendation. My only personal experience has been negative. For one your ear canal is still open so you get a bunch of wind noise in there. More of an issue cycling. The wind noise IMHO drowns out other more important features and sounds, ie having your ears canals open provides a false sense of security. Then there is the fact that the sound is terrible (without ear plugs) and I would suspect that because of all the external noise that people crank AfterShokz to hear their muffled music which may also lead to faster rate of damaged hearing.

To me AfterShokz wearers always seem to have the same irrational fear of people that avoid the ocean... Sharks! or Airplane fears, even though it is proven safer than driving. In the case of AfterShokz, the ability to "hear" our external environment could potentially lead, I would like to see this studied, to increased hearing damage down the road, leading to social isolation, and higher levels of depression.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 2, 20 8:41
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. The sound quality was poor. All I wanted was to listen to books on tape or podcasts. I had it nearly maxed out to understand the words and would get headaches. Plus they are fairly large and clunky compared to current offerings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted above already, but agree with you. I don't find the open-ear format any safer than just wearing normal earbuds - in fact, I welcome the noise reduction on roads when I'm running since passing trucks are so loud!

I think the longevity of these Aftershockz will be unbeatable though - since they sit outside the ear, they simply aren't exposed to all the compressed and collecting sweat that pools and kills earbuds (in my case over 7 of 'em, including several IPX7 ones.)

I actually think the Aftershockz are sort of mismarketed for triathlon/running. They work best for me around the house doing errands since I hear my family easily if they ask me something in the middle of my podcasts, and also work great as a driver in a car since you can listen to podcasts privately while being road-aware (so the rest of your family in the car don't have to hear your boring podcasts on the car stereo.)

However, I suspect I'll always use these for tri at some point, even if I get something better - I just can't see how any in-ear earbud, no matter how pricey, can be more sweatproof than this thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aftershokz are fine for music. But in my experience, they are terrible if you listen to podcasts or books. With road and wind noise, I simply could not hear all of the words when listening to a podcast. In fact, I found myself more distracted trying to figure out what was being said than otherwise. So the ability to hear ambient noise seemingly had the opposite effect to the one intended.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I posted above already, but agree with you. I don't find the open-ear format any safer than just wearing normal earbuds - in fact, I welcome the noise reduction on roads when I'm running since passing trucks are so loud!

I think the longevity of these Aftershockz will be unbeatable though - since they sit outside the ear, they simply aren't exposed to all the compressed and collecting sweat that pools and kills earbuds (in my case over 7 of 'em, including several IPX7 ones.)

I actually think the Aftershockz are sort of mismarketed for triathlon/running. They work best for me around the house doing errands since I hear my family easily if they ask me something in the middle of my podcasts, and also work great as a driver in a car since you can listen to podcasts privately while being road-aware (so the rest of your family in the car don't have to hear your boring podcasts on the car stereo.)

However, I suspect I'll always use these for tri at some point, even if I get something better - I just can't see how any in-ear earbud, no matter how pricey, can be more sweatproof than this thing.

I don't disagree with you on the sweatproof thing. I will say that if you live in place like Florida enough you will realize it doesn't really matter if it is direct sweat, often times it is just the exposure to humidity that will nuke the devices. Some of the ears buds out there are completely sealed units, no buttons, no seams etc. I suspect some of these that have no real design weakness will face better than most. I haven't taken a look at Aftershockz that closely but I would suspect they could fall prey to the same sort of thing too and wouldn't be immune but they might be better than the majority of earbuds on the market.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I just did a run to verify that there is no wind noise when running, it used to be if running into a headwind with some of the headphones I tried I would have to take them out since they were useless.

Note that I use cat-ears (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2LSOQ6/) on my road bike but my tri helmet is surprising quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:
AfterShokz hands down

I see a couple of people recommending AfterShokz but nobody recommending them is really say why, just recommending. What are the defining features of AfterShokz that make them such a killer recommendation. My only personal experience has been negative. For one your ear canal is still open so you get a bunch of wind noise in there. More of an issue cycling. The wind noise IMHO drowns out other more important features and sounds, ie having your ears canals open provides a false sense of security. Then there is the fact that the sound is terrible (without ear plugs) and I would suspect that because of all the external noise that people crank AfterShokz to hear their muffled music which may also lead to faster rate of damaged hearing.

To me AfterShokz wearers always seem to have the same irrational fear of people that avoid the ocean... Sharks! or Airplane fears, even though it is proven safer than driving. In the case of AfterShokz, the ability to "hear" our external environment could potentially lead, I would like to see this studied, to increased hearing damage down the road, leading to social isolation, and higher levels of depression.

My Why:

I run in pretty quiet areas so there aren't a lot of noises that I want to get rid of.

I use the headphones for a distraction to the fact that I don't have that many running routes so I don't need to have great quality
that said I find listening to music just fine and the volume is pretty low.

I, for some reason, sweat a lot in my ears (and everywhere else) and so the non-supported headphones don't stay very well.

I don't get wind noise like my over the ear headphones give me. (MPow Flame, Treblab XR100, etc)

For me the in the ear canal buds hurt after awhile, I've tried multiple buds and different adapters.

I don't agree that all of us are afraid that we won't hear a truck hit us, for me it's a much more enjoyable experience and surprisingly overrides my tinnitus noise. Probably because the sound is taking a different path.

They could be less bulky, I'll give you that.

Disclaimer: I'm old and my hearing isn't the best. I have some well defined notches in my audio frequency response due to being stupid when I was younger. I don't listen to anything loud anymore and I'm happy with the quality of the bone conduction system.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [slower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also use Aftershokz because of tinnitus. My tinnitus is mild, low-frequency and only noticeable when things are quiet, such as bedtime. But use of standard headphones/earbuds seemed to exacerbate it. Aftershokz does not seem to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation Appreciated: Wireless Headphones Under $100 [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the trekz. You can usually find a pair of new trekz airs on ebay for $75 or so. Keeps you under your $100 budget. I have not used the titanium but the air for $75 is a good deal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next