Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with my return to Triathlon
Quote | Reply
My last race was Kona 2018. I’ve been training since but no structure(maybe a little on the bike doing some of the Zwift plans) but when I’ve haven’t been biking I’ve been mostly running 50-80mpw with no speed/tempo work. However, I’ve noticed my fitness plummeted. My easy runs used to be 7:45-8ish pace and now it’s more like 8:45-9:15ish pace. I’ve gained 5lbs (also BF% has gone up) so I’m sure this isn’t helping and I’m older now at 43.

I think my biggest limiter is mobility right now. It seems every time I bike my lower back tightens up so I’m afraid to get back on the bike. But I want to get back to tri training. I miss the process of getting faster, feeling fit, and racing.

My wife begins her Masters degree in September and kids are going back to school so I figure this will be a good time to get back into tri training. I’ll have more time to train. It will also be a good substitute for me since most evenings my wife will be studying after work instead of us sipping wine :) And my kids are older so don’t need me as much.

My question is how should I approach this comeback. I guess I’m wondering how much intensity I should include. Maybe just one day running with some strides or 5-10 1’ hard stuff, etc and the rest easy. For the bike do 1 Vo2 type of workout and maybe one tempo interval workout and the rest easy. For swimming, do some 25/50s in a workout and some threshold work (100s-200s) and the rest easy. Or should I just spend the next 3 months building volume with zone 1 or 2. I definitely plan on devoting 2 days to mobility and strength. Any tips here? I’d like to keep it simple.

I’m curious if others been in this situation and how long did it take to feeling fit again.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my return to Triathlon [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You lost me at "My last race was Kona 2018".. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my return to Triathlon [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you read further on it is a 'comeback'...
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my return to Triathlon [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

Oh I did and anyone who has qualified for Kona and kept up running over 50miles a week since their "retirement" most likely has kept plenty of base fitness and no doubt already knows what to do to kick start training again. Then again, plenty of gurus have come and gone since then so maybe there are some new magic bullets to be found since waaaaaaaaay back in the olden days of 2018. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my return to Triathlon [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Oh I did and anyone who has qualified for Kona and kept up running over 50miles a week since their "retirement" most likely has kept plenty of base fitness and no doubt already knows what to do to kick start training again. Then again, plenty of gurus have come and gone since then so maybe there are some new magic bullets to be found since waaaaaaaaay back in the olden days of 2018. :-)

I was swimming last week with two early 20's who want to "get back into it." They haven't been in the water much since 2018. I told them I haven't put up a decent 100 free since 1999 but might get back into it too. They couldn't tell if I was joking.
Quote Reply