Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

better covid fix than rouvy or zwift
Quote | Reply
I stopped doing both, its just to hot to train indoors with SD having florida like weather this month. Plus... i got bored of most the routes and races. my average bike times on local tri's during the zwift/rouvy period was at ~23mph. Now I am in the 24s. What is this new amazing program? doing uber eats / postmates! Since my job has gone into a black hole and my unemployment wiped out.... this has been the best training I feel since. You cant just quit intervals or races here. Make the delivery or dont get paid. Anyone else here delivering via bike?
Quote Reply
Re: better covid fix than rouvy or zwift [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
.....You cant just quit intervals or races here. Make the delivery or dont get paid....
Who quits intervals or races? That's crazy talk!

I honestly don't remember ever quitting an interval or race. I did get dumped out of an excruciating TT effort once due to Zwift crashing. But that's not quitting - I was furious.
You've gotta commit.
I may once in a while be slower than expected, down on power, or come in last in a race, but stop?.... nah!
Quote Reply
Re: better covid fix than rouvy or zwift [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
.....You cant just quit intervals or races here. Make the delivery or dont get paid....

Who quits intervals or races? That's crazy talk!

I honestly don't remember ever quitting an interval or race. I did get dumped out of an excruciating TT effort once due to Zwift crashing. But that's not quitting - I was furious.
You've gotta commit.
I may once in a while be slower than expected, down on power, or come in last in a race, but stop?.... nah!

It is a different rush when there is money on the line. Especially if its what puts food on your table. Perhaps zwift should charge $100 a month.... and you should be able to try to win some of that money back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly curious - can you outpace cars in your area doing Uber eats on a bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
with SD having florida like weather

South Dakota? For some reason I thought they were only doing bike delivery in major markets like LA, NYC, San Fran, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: better covid fix than rouvy or zwift [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, OP is complaining about oppressive heat...and then riding outdoors instead of a climate controlled room?
Quote Reply
Re: better covid fix than rouvy or zwift [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Also, OP is complaining about oppressive heat...and then riding outdoors instead of a climate controlled room?
Well to be fair, plenty people don't have climate controlled rooms, and ventilation outdoors makes a difference compared even to major nfan use
Quote Reply
Re: better covid fix than rouvy or zwift [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
with SD having florida like weather

South Dakota? For some reason I thought they were only doing bike delivery in major markets like LA, NYC, San Fran, etc.

San Diego.

lightheir wrote:
Honestly curious - can you outpace cars in your area doing Uber eats on a bike?

In urban city I live in yes. No need to be stuck behind other cars in traffic, or look for parking

indianacyclist wrote:

90* outside, my home has no AC and far away fan.. so 110 inside?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a full-time bike messenger in Columbus, OH in the early '90s while racing tris. Looking back, it was a great way to make a living for a couple years and It definitely toughened me physically and mentally but as far as racing tris, I was happy to get back behind a desk. Since there are no tris this year, that doesn't really matter. Stay healthy and enjoy the freedom of being a professional cyclist!

P.S. I forgot that you are the guy putting on the tris in SD this summer. Is your new work benefitting your weekend racing?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 25, 20 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: better covid fix than rouvy or zwift [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I was a full-time bike messenger in Columbus, OH in the early '90s while racing tris. Looking back, it was a great way to make a living for a couple years and It definitely toughened me physically and mentally but as far as racing tris, I was happy to get back behind a desk. Since there are no tris this year, that doesn't really matter. Stay healthy and enjoy the freedom of being a professional cyclist!

P.S. I forgot that you are the guy putting on the tris in SD this summer. Is your new work benefitting your weekend racing?

yes sir, although it may affect my swim ability, which is crap already anyways
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It didn't benefit my cycling in tris because my legs were beat by the weekend and I didn't have the option to taper before a race. I'm sure the work had long-term benefits re: cycling for multiple reasons, including realizing that I could handle riding outside in almost any weather, since I worked through two Ohio winters and lots of rainy days.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 25, 20 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: better covid fix than rouvy or zwift [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
It didn't benefit my cycling in tris because my legs were beat by the weekend and I didn't have the option to taper before a race. I'm sure the work had long-term benefits re: cycling for multiple reasons, including realizing that I could handle riding outside in almost any weather, since I worked through two Ohio winters and lots of rainy days.

well I dont know what you mean by full time, but prior to this job I was a 'full time' bike messenger with 8-5 shift. It paid me hourly .... so a lot of downtime waiting around, and yes I do feel it did exhaust me a bit being up on feet all day. This current model i just work two 2 hours shifts and make just enough over my daily burn rate (your living costs - food, shelter, utilities, etc). So I am getting a bit more time to recover. Just by chance after the races I hold on sunday I go to work in the afternoon. Yea I am working 7 days a week but I will probably bike if I didnt work. Might as well get paid for it.
Last edited by: synthetic: Aug 26, 20 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you can return to the 8 to 5 shift soon if you want/need to do that.
Quote Reply