Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race/Training Advice needed!
Quote | Reply
At the beginning of this year I decided to put swim/bike training on hold to focus more on running, specifically to run my first full marathon. With Covid and working from home, I was able to run a lot more than I was planning on and my fitness has improved dramatically. I was feeling really good for and October marathon. Well.... You can guess what happened. Race was cancelled. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to run the virtual race and take advantage of the fitness I've built, adjust my training and aim for an early spring marathon, or completely restructure and try again next year.

I guess my question is two parts, what would you do in my situation? and, how can I not lose this level of fitness if I decide to push for a later race?

Thanks all!
Quote Reply
Re: Race/Training Advice needed! [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was me and I felt ready to run a marathon (and had done a proper build for a race and everything), I would at least run the distance as part of the virtual race! This way you can practice your nutrition plan, pacing strategy, and (likely) finish a full marathon. And then if my goal was to really race a full marathon (in a real race) I would just give some time to recovery and build back up for a spring marathon.

This year I've been a big believer in just having fun and taking advantage of my fitness (since I did the same thing as you and continued building towards races that have now been cancelled). I'll probably eventually call it a season at some point, and transition into winter mode for next year but you may as well use your fitness before that (especially since you obviously can't just stay "race-ready" till the spring... that's just asking to get hurt eventually)
Quote Reply