Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: how do you fuel your dogs? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea fuel isn't really the issue. Water is and depending on the breed dogs need up to 3 times as much than humans because they don't sweat as efficiently as we do. My doberman was a running machine. She did very well in the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: how do you fuel your dogs? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is george the bernie doodle. he is a runner huge engine. does almost every run i do for the last year and a half. love this dog

Quote Reply
Re: how do you fuel your dogs? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
J7 wrote:
Are you on drugs or what? That’s just stupid running three hours with a dog like that. If you want a long distance dog go get a vizsla. Your Berniedoodle should be kept to a hour or less run given temp/ humidity.

Im Hungarian, so I'm partial to Vizslas but didn't know they were suited for 3 hour runs. Is it just the short fur or some other factors too?

My wife and I have been fostering dogs for a local shelter and at some point we will probably adopt one. I honestly didn't think any breed could go 3 hours, but it would be nice to have a 4 legged training partner like that.

Weimaraner can go really long too. Mine can easily run for a few hours temperature dependent and they can actually swim for long distances too. Mine would have no issues going 1-2 km. I got her a life jacket to de stress it and she can swim until I can’t anymore. They kind of float
Quote Reply
Re: how do you fuel your dogs? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend and myself do 2-3 hour runs on the AT in NC and TN. We both take our dogs. He has a vizsla and I have a sweet 50 pound mutt that looks to be a mix of boxer and possibly pit bull. Luckily, along the AT, there are usually multiple small water crossings so the dogs can drink as much as they like. Even after 2-3 hours, neither dog really wants to get in the water and sit there to cool off.

I always wear my Salomon running packing when I run but I take my 2L along with a water filter (for me) and another 500ml for my pup (just in case the little water crossings are too dry).......I also have a small collapsable bowl for his water. As fas as food goes, I take beef jerky and dog "yogurt" drops for him during the run. I figure every time I stop to take in nutrition, I should let him get nutrition too.

So far, it works well, and I love having my little running buddy out on the trails with me. He's fairly energetic so its good for him too because he's young, and it helps to burn some of that crazy energy away
Quote Reply
Re: how do you fuel your dogs? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: how do you fuel your dogs? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pure bred Siberian that is now 3 and I live in NC. She def does not run right now, but she can and does tolerate the warmth well into the low to mid 60s. I'm sure others will blast that but you should know what your dog can and cant handle. I started her on quarter mile runs when she was tiny - just run walking and increased her up to 17 miles with no issues. Just carry water and/or plan your route so they can drink often. Also, just like you would do for yourself; PACE ACCORDINGLY and adjust your mileage depending on the temps. Dont dog the dog when its to warm lol. If its too warm for what I think she can handle I may only take her for a short jog and then finish my run by myself.

I didnt feed her anything on the 17 mile run and it was also mid 50s, btw. We took a few breaks so she could drink, but she avg that run around 7:45-8 with no issues. In fact, I finished at a brewery and assumed she would be tired, but as soon as we stopped she saw some dogs and started instantly playing. Just be aware of them, their body language, energy levels, and how alert mentally they seem to be throughout.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: how do you fuel your dogs? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have a husky german shepard mix. She is a rescue and still maintains a good amount of wild edge in her. Think feral wolf.

I carry a collapsible bowl and extra water for her. Shes really not much for running unless the temps are below freezing. Whens its really cold she will lay outside for hours. But she will hike for hours. She demands walks. For long hikes I will prepare flank steak with salt cut into strips. Yes my dog sometimes eats better than me. Her regular food is salmon based. She refuses to eat crappy dog treats. She will eat good beef jerky or slim jims, Ha!

Shes spoiled because of the wife.
Quote Reply
Re: how do you fuel your dogs? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd add weimaraners to your list. We have owned and/or fostered more than 20 weims over the years, and have covered a ton of miles with them. Of course, they were all gently introduced to running on-leash and the distance increased slowly and carefully. My distance champ was Wonder - at about 8 years of age, she did 17 with me at about a 7:00/mi pace on a crushed limestone trail with only a few stops by the river for water. Afterwards, she jumped up into the truck as if she had done a short jog - pretty sure I went home and took a nap.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next