Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good time for a coach?
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted to get a coach for triathlon. As much as I love doing my own thing with no direction and control I think some guidance would be really good. I was a soccer player all the way through college and ran track in HS so I've been coached a lot but just never in this type of situation. I've "coached" myself through 5 ironmans, multiple half's, and even more marathons but most of the time I just run and bike (purposely excluded swim because I don't) as much as I can, usually running year round but biking from April to race day. It gets me from the start to the finish line but, obviously, leaves a lot on the table. So on to the question. Is this a good time to get a coach considering no races for such an extended time? For the coaches and people that have coaches, are you all just on cruise right now since there are no races until next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Good time for a coach? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it really depends on what your goals are and how having a coach will help you accomplish your goals.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Good time for a coach? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree but I would assume that their is some thought process about keeping things slow now to avoid burn out and other thought that now is the time to work on your weaknesses. Not sure which is correct, or maybe it's a little bit of both depending on the athlete. haha I might be answering my own questions now but still looking for any advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still continuing to train at a fairly aggressive pace. I am basically using this year as an extended offseason where I can really focus on some of the areas that are my weaknesses.

Sure, the structure may fluctuate a bit more and we can be a bit more relaxed and get away with it, but we can also pinpoint some days to really hammer away and have some added recovery if needed.

Overall being coached and having some structure has made it feel as if there is a bit of normalcy to my weekly routine.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you'd like to chat. Or I can also put you in contact with our team lead, Matt Hanson, and he will be able to match you up with who might be the best fit within our current coaches.

https://matthansonracing.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main thing for deciding to have a coach is that a coach will only be good/useful/beneficial if you actually do what they say... if you enjoy doing your own thing and making your own plan (and won't necessarily listen to what your coach says) then I would just keep going with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, to get the most out of a coach requires 12-18 months together. Just working with someone for the few months before an event may change your execution, but not your fitness much. A good coach will transform the way you train.

Do you have a firm idea of the next event you'll enter? Then no time like today to start methodically putting together your fitness. If you're not, sure a coach would help give structure and direction, but you're still going to be a bit in a holding pattern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. In general, with no races on the horizon, I think it might be a little much to train like there is a race happening. But you could definitely take this time to work on your weaknesses and establish some new habits around training, nutrition and recovery.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Good time for a coach? [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. In general, with no races on the horizon, I think it might be a little much to train like there is a race happening. But you could definitely take this time to work on your weaknesses and establish some new habits around training, nutrition and recovery.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Tim

I’ll just add my 2 cents of the benefit of having a coach during these times. I feel like a coach always plays a bit of a role of amateur psychologist. Normally it comes in the form of support after a poor race or workout performance reassuring the athlete the world will not end because of one bad workout or race. I’ve had the same coach for a few years now. She knows me. She knows my mentality. With no races on the horizon we’ve focused on adding more strength training. And while there are currently more structured workouts during the week. Weekends are scheduled for fun rides/runs. Usually just a prescribed time with whatever pace I want. For many like myself, it can be hard to stay motivated. My coach knows how to work with me through these ebbs and flows of motivation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not the exacly same case, because we have some decent racing in Europe now, even 1000+ people races in my area, but here are my 0.02 :) I work as a coach and I observed few aspects of the covid situation during last few months:

1) Most of us do not thrill on uncertainity and with jobs, families and health being a priority there is less energy, engagement, mental resources to use in triathlon training. Why do not outsource, and use full time coaching or consultation-based relationship to have clear picture, clearer path, clearer goals, more motivation and feeling of purpose, less decision-making fatigue etc. I really feel it is more important than ever and it also takes a toll on me as a coach :) It actually works in many aspects, sometimes my job is to discuss the priorities and discourage an athlete from extremely taxing training because of an extra stress from different areas of life, sometimes its less commute and less work, hence more training and recovery possibilities and an once-a-lifetime improvement window. And sometimes you are in a middle, and you do not feel like doing a session that you planned yourself... but you would have do a session that coached wrote for you - and step by step improve as a triathlete :)

2) There is a saying that you should never give up on a dreams because it takes time, the time will pass anyway. Cliche but true, and time is passing right now :) During last few months I saw a lot of my athletes making solid gains, in the same time there is a group that struggles with the situation and stagnate or regress in sport. I do not mean to be judgemental here! Most of the athletes I work with have some big goals and it does not require weeks or months, but years to make them happen. So they work hard, time is passing and they are few steps towards their ambitions and dreams. It is all about the process and coaching can influence the process... in a way it always influenced the process. One new thing is that without racing and result pressure you can really focus on fundamentals or your weaknesses and build on that later. So its a regular coaching here :) The pandemic will pass and then you will see if you spend your time in a effective or satisfying way. If you ie want to go sub 10h on your IM and go to Kona with 13-12h races under your belt you won't improve during a year. It will probably take 2 or 4 years and if you can start now, why wait???

3) I already mentioned lack of racing pressure and it really creates a space to improve your weaknessess without a sensation of loss or missing the fun or podium at your next race. We are already back at racing and I have seen some spectacular improvements in the areas that were a struggle for years... but there was never a good time to focus on them because of the trade-off in different areas, ie why focus on swimming when there is so little to gain and paying for it during the bike leg... it did not make sense in a short term, but now? And since we are racing again in Poland I already seen that it paid off in many cases, with lifetime-best swim splits or finally logging a streak of solid running weeks and racing to a PB in the first tune-up events after the covid-break.

So yes, I think it is a good time to work with a coach!

coaching via trinergy.pl
TP Training Plans
IG @kowalski.coach
Quote Reply
Re: Good time for a coach? [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my main reasons for a coach would be efficiency. I've seen decent results in the years that I've self-coached but I think I am horribly inefficient. I would like to think that what I've done in 7 years by myself, a coach would have gotten me to in like 3-4 years. I know that I don't know anything so listening to my coach won't be an issue haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Good time for a coach? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect this to be at least a 2 year commitment. I've done enough of this to know that you have to be patient to see real results. One of the main reasons I don't already have a coach. Mentally need to be prepared to get the work done. Don't want to waste money and time. And transforming the way I train is exactly that I'm looking for haha. I think they way I currently train is very inefficient and leaves a lot on the table.

No real idea about next years race schedule. I do know that my Eagleman registration has been deferred.
Quote Reply
Re: Good time for a coach? [tomekbielany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response! Great things to think about!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pay a coach when you peaked from all the online available training plans or watching other peoples strava and mimicing their similar variables. this coach should be in person to see when your technique breaks down or other signs of exhaustion, where he or she can change plan on the fly
Quote Reply