Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P5 Dilemma
Quote | Reply
After some years and many miles, mechanical problems are accumulating for my 2013 P5. I've had to replace the base bar and, last year, had to replace a Magura RT-8 brake handle that was almost impossible to find. Now the DI-2 appears to be quitting -- my local shop could offer no suggestions on repairing, only a full scale replace. Upgrading to the newest DI-2 would also require new wheels -- which would mean I could not use my Zipp racing wheels anymore. While it is a great bike, I am reluctant to layout many $Ks to get it back operating, since one more problem with the brakes or other parts would render it unusable. Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [pablotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s been 7 years, time to replace components. If the frame is fine and fits well, you knows it’s fast so why not change out the only issues you are having which are the components?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 20, 20 15:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can always replace di2 with mechanical, but you're still gonna need new 11spd wheels (unless yours are mavic). there is no solution for the brakes other than to replace them with tririg/trp.

you've got a superbike, might as well keep it that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not get one of the 11sp cassettes made for 10sp hubs? Edco makes them and there are modified ultegra cassettes, too.

Also, the 2021 Cube Aerium still uses those magura parts, so check with a Cube dealer
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Aug 20, 20 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that is very helpful, I was worried that I was out of options with the brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pablotri wrote:
After some years and many miles, mechanical problems are accumulating for my 2013 P5. I've had to replace the base bar and, last year, had to replace a Magura RT-8 brake handle that was almost impossible to find. Now the DI-2 appears to be quitting -- my local shop could offer no suggestions on repairing, only a full scale replace. Upgrading to the newest DI-2 would also require new wheels -- which would mean I could not use my Zipp racing wheels anymore. While it is a great bike, I am reluctant to layout many $Ks to get it back operating, since one more problem with the brakes or other parts would render it unusable. Suggestions?

Just FYI, there are 11s cassettes that will fit on 10s wheels. Rotor makes a ridiculously light one. There’s a company out of Quebec that machines down 11s Shimano cassettes to fit. And a couple of hacks to run an 11s system with 10 cogs

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you fit standard rim brakes on a P5 and keep the aero covers? Or is the frame tightly bound to the Magura calipers? If not, I would sell it and move on. If so, I would do a full modern Di2 upgrade, including the mechanical rim brakes. The P5 is still one of the fastest frame sets on the planet. But the stuff that made it cutting edge in its day is now what makes it prohibitive to maintain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say it all depends on your budget. Sounds like you must be running the original DA Di2 which cannot be upgraded easily.
Yes the frame is super fast but there are lots of nice new options out there for you.
Personally, I would just buy a new bike and be done with it....
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the stuff that made it cutting edge in its day is now what makes it prohibitive to maintain.

Exactly my feeling, it seems that the first generation of super bikes did not put a high value on “wrenchability.”

Hence my dilemma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same story as you with aging P5 parts. Went with Tririg brakes, alpha one bar, and their delta cover. Routing to rear brake and using enough spacers to clear the chain stays was a little trial and error, but the original P5 rear brake cover fits, and no maintenance issues yet.

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of the looks of the delta, but the total package passes the roll down test, and it’s as easy to wrench as my P2 with the same components.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was in a similar situation with my P5. How I looked at it was while everything was working I could sell it. If something went that couldn’t easily be fixed I would now just be selling a frame.
Upgraded to the P5d and thrilled I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little curious what is wrong with the Di2. I have a 2012 P5 and a few other bikes with newer Di2's. My 2012 P5 is already 11 speed. I then upgraded my S5 from 10 sp to 11 sp and used the old 10 sp Di2 on another bike build.

Anyway, I can't possibly see what is so bad with the Di2 that it can't be repaired. I've mixed and matched newer Di2 components with no problems...just updated the firmware. I've been able to use 10 sp shifters on 11 sp derailleurs with no problems. The 10 speed old battery holder on my S5 just needed a firmware update to work with the 11 speed components.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triflorida wrote:
Same story as you with aging P5 parts. Went with Tririg brakes, alpha one bar, and their delta cover. Routing to rear brake and using enough spacers to clear the chain stays was a little trial and error, but the original P5 rear brake cover fits, and no maintenance issues yet.

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of the looks of the delta, but the total package passes the roll down test, and it’s as easy to wrench as my P2 with the same components.

One of our team riders has a P5, using an adjustable stem with a pair of 3T Volas up front and Tririg front brake/TRP rear brake rather than Maguras. Everything works fine (11 speed eTap) and it's plenty fast - the new P5 Disc is a lovely bike but the rim brake P5 is still excellent.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Last edited by: Xavier: Aug 22, 20 3:53
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First gen di2 wasn't etube, it's not compatible with any later models
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
First gen di2 wasn't etube, it's not compatible with any later models

I know, but my 2012 P5 has 2nd Gen Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know tbh. This is largely up to you, But with a new bike, you’ll probably still need race wheels. So it’s the same aside from the fact that a new groupset is cheaper than a bike
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same bike and about the same age and a few Magura issues too so I know where you are coming from.

I was lucky that in living in Taiwan, it's often easier to source parts. I replaced the front magura with brand new everything and that resolved that.

When I think about switching, part of me is sentimental. 3 trips to Kona (Back door, ding ding ding) and so many awesome miles on such a sweet bike.

I read the data. I read somewhere that Cervelo says the P5D is 8 seconds faster than the P5. (i believe the distance was 180km, but I would be happy to be corrected.) You get the safety of disc brakes, which I would say are only useful to me in training when I'm coming back into Taipei traffic and I need to stop NOW). None of the courses I race on would the brakes be a performance issue. The P5D bar is only marginally more adjustable then the aduro, and deal break, doesn't tilt so you have to negotiate to get the PX bar without having to buy 2 bars just to get tilt. Then of course need new wheels. And after all that, I would have a bike that is pretty much as fast as the one I have now and I best 90% of people wouldn't even notice the different look immediately. (I would not care about that if the new bike had significant performance advantages. Another benefit is if I get a small scratch on my P5, I don't care, but I'd know the first scratch is heartbreak on a new bike. And if I do crash this frame, ok, time to get a new bike. I have a very unlucky friend...hard crash on his third ride on his PX. :(

So I just have not arrived at a compelling argument to get something flashier. I'd talk to Magura; there are new brakes still around. Also try Cube as mentioned, as they are using the same brakes. Whatever you decide to do...please be sure to post about it in this thread!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That P5 pictured above is smoking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pablotri wrote:
Upgrading to the newest di2 would also require new wheels -- which would mean I could not use my Zipp racing wheels anymore.

Definitely not the case, you can indeed use 8/9/10 speed wheels with any 11 speed drivetrains, including shimano di2. Many good solutions, I use Lasco modified cassettes and their operation is flawless. But there are other cheap options too. More info about all of those here:

https://www.darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was In a similar situation and decided to sell it and got a P5d. I have no regrets. What sold the idea to me was that the resale on P5s are still pretty strong right now but as those brakes get harder and harder to find, the value will start to drop pretty quick.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Dilemma [T2LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had that same worry about the brakes. If you don’t mind, what channel did you use to sell the P5?
Quote Reply