Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

iPad Pro and Garmin device updating
Quote | Reply
So i have a very old laptop and an almost as old iPad. Both are suffering from age and not able to do everything I need. Thinking of replacing the iPad with an iPad Pro model. Wondering if it can take the place of both items. One of the uses for my laptop is using it to update my Garmin watch and bike computer. So I need to be able to plug those devices into the iPad Pro and have them speak to the website or updating software. Does anyone know if this is possible with the iPad Pro?
Quote Reply
Re: iPad Pro and Garmin device updating [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a Garmin user anymore but I thought most recent models updated via Bluetooth or WiFi these days. What models do you have?

p.s. I have no idea about if it can be done via an iPad Pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most of the updates can now happen over WiFi or via Garmin Connect on an iOS/iPadOS device. I have several, and my last couple updates did happen wirelessly. That said, there may still be some updates that must occur over a wired connection to a true computer.

I have an iPad Pro, a Surface Go, and various other PC and Apple computers in my household. If you use a computer for content creation (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) then, a Surface might be a decent alternative that can do everything. The iPads are great at content consumption and Internet browsing, but they kinda suck at content creation, even with a great keyboard. The Surface computers are OK at browsing and consumption, but equal to a traditional desktop or laptop at content creation.
Quote Reply
Re: iPad Pro and Garmin device updating [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an Edge 530 and when I had an issue with the altimeter working the Garmin help line wanted me to connect it to a computer to download the latest updates. So relatively new on the device front.

I do not do much if any content creation on my personal devices. That has me leaning towards an iPad. I looked at the surface and wasn't sure. Like the iPad a bit better overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an iPad Pro...and my garmin watch, as well as 830 immediately upload saved files to the iPad Pro wirelessly...never have had any problems with it at all
Quote Reply
Re: iPad Pro and Garmin device updating [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not talking about information wirelessly transmitting from watch/head unit to iPad. Can you connect the watch or head unit with the charging cable to the iPad and download an update from the iPad to the watch/head unit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
I'm not talking about information wirelessly transmitting from watch/head unit to iPad. Can you connect the watch or head unit with the charging cable to the iPad and download an update from the iPad to the watch/head unit?

Gotcha...Never tried that...

After using ms office on the iPad Pro...my guess would be yes...if you can get an adapter that would match up, but again, never tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also I'm having both I never tried it.
iPad was always a little reserved using anything on the charger, for the previous lightning I needed an extra app Plus adapter stick to save data/connect usb device.
For the last generation it’s said its support USB device, so maybe a watch too. But not sure, I don’t have a adapter usb3 to usb to try out.
But you sure need the pro over the normal? The price bumps on the last generation were solid.

-shoki
Quote Reply