Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crankset and bottom bracket confusion...
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of acquiring a new gravel bike and the bottom bracket is a 68mm BSA. I'm wanting to potentially swap the crankset for one that has power on it and that crankset is BBR60 threaded (Shimano GRX). I can't seem to find an adapter that makes this happen. Am I just out of luck or do I just not understand bottom brackets and cranks (the more likely answer)?
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset and bottom bracket confusion... [ilsapproach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://bike.shimano.com/...5-5800/SM-BBR60.html

BBR60 is what you would use to fit a Shimano crankset to a BSA frame.
The only way this isn't the solution is if your power crankset is not Shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilsapproach wrote:
I'm in the process of acquiring a new gravel bike and the bottom bracket is a 68mm BSA. I'm wanting to potentially swap the crankset for one that has power on it and that crankset is BBR60 threaded (Shimano GRX). I can't seem to find an adapter that makes this happen. Am I just out of luck or do I just not understand bottom brackets and cranks (the more likely answer)?

Shimano SM-BBR60 is a bottom bracket, not a crankset.

Currently produced Shimano cranksets have a Hollowtech II axle, which are compatible with SM-BBR60 bottom brackets.

What brand and model power meter do you want to use?
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset and bottom bracket confusion... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
ilsapproach wrote:

Shimano SM-BBR60 is a bottom bracket, not a crankset.

Currently produced Shimano cranksets have a Hollowtech II axle, which are compatible with SM-BBR60 bottom brackets.

What brand and model power meter do you want to use?

Stages on a Shimano GRX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need an adapter and it should work out of the box. The BBR60 is just Shimano's designation for the system/standard you are using (68mm BB shell with British Standard Threading for a 24mm diameter crank spindle).

More generally your frame is designed around Shimano's Hollowtech and/or SRAMs GXP standards which makes a ton of sense for a gravel bike. If you dip outside GXP or Hollowtech you may run into issues but honestly I am not sure why you would do this on a gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset and bottom bracket confusion... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going that route, for the money one of those costs........I'd just get one of the newer priced $400 Quarqs and buy the correct threaded BB for it and the correct carbon Dub crankarms. Then run your Shimano rings on the Quarq.

All in that's about $650 to have a super meter and carbon crank arms.

Threaded BB makes the change to a different spindle style a lot simpler than press fit BB. Don't fear leaving the Shimano spindle/crank style behind. You can keep the chainrings.

I went that way on my TT bike and am loving it. I may do it on the roadie, but it's a press fit. Maybe Christmas time. Toss my R9100 rings onto one.
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset and bottom bracket confusion... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. And I thought my industry was bad with confusing terminology... :)

Sounds like I'd be good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you read the link?
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset and bottom bracket confusion... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did, but it's not like there are a lot of options given the bottom bracket of the bike and it appears that the single sided option appears to be fairly accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your frame has an English threaded bottom bracket. (You don't have to use a bottom bracket for Shimano Hollowtech II cranksets.) There are many crankset based power meters that will work with it.

You could also get a pedal based power meter.

The Stages left side power meter simply doubles that side's power to get a total number. Not very impressive.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Aug 21, 20 9:47
Quote Reply