Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you get a CO2 inflator for flats, the controllable-outflow ones work well
Quote | Reply
Most of you already know this but for the newbs, if you decide to go CO2 for flats on the road, definitely get an inflator that has a controllable output.

My first 2 co2 inflators were non-controllable, meaning the moment you screwed the canister on and opened the valve to the bike, it would release at max pressure into the tire, inflating it in <2 seconds. That sounds great, unless you have some seating issues with the tube (like if it starts protruding over the rim when inflated) and then its really bad as you'll likely pop your new tube, or have to deflate/reinflate and hope you have enough CO2 left (yep, did that before.)

The controllable ones allow you to slowly let in the CO2 so you don't blow everything up instantly, giving you time to recheck everything as you inflate. Much more controllable and relaxed.

I suspect most of them out there work great; the one I used this morning was the Portland Design Shiny Object CO2 inflator and you can easily dial the CO2 output from super slow to all out, no problemo. The thing I found particularly useful with this inflator is that the ON/OFF directions on the valve are clearly marked, which is a surprisingly big deal (Have encountered ones that aren't marked and you're hoping you haven't left the valve in open position from a prior use.) Would recommend.
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 18, 20 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: If you get a CO2 inflator for flats, the controllable-outflow ones work well [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even just the push valve ones work well (ex. below). Not as regulateable as the dial (needle valve), but good enough IMO. The main thing is to always remember to attach it to the valve before activating the CO2 (a-la CW in 2008: https://www.youtube.com/...tslGL9Qat8&t=120 ) even though these are more forgiving.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply