Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
SharonMcN wrote:
If you crash, and can’t respond with your name, and don’t have ID on you, it’s one way for EMTs or others to yell your name at you while trying to revive you.

I have my own name on my bikes, I also name my bikes. Which is a whole other discussion.

I have named most of my bikes too :)

My bikes have names too. Glad I’m not the only one.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*Luzié has a sticker of her name and the blazon of the Kurpfalz [the region we cycle and riding on two wheels was invented 200 years before] .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
Perhaps a bit of projection here? I never said I was thinking about getting name stickers on my bike. I also ride a Dimond so I'm clearly not concerned about whether people approve of my equipment :)

I'm bringing a fun discussion topic to a forum where people have extremely strong opinions on everything from tan sidewalls to elastic laces. And if you're this uptight about cycling style then make sure you steer clear of The Rules at https://www.velominati.com/ (hint: it's tongue in cheek).
I just posted a philosophically similar response in another thread. But here we go again:

How does my suggestion that worrying about other peoples fashion opinions is silly, suggest I'm uptight about cycling style???

I'm very familiar with the Velominati rules and they're quite amusing...and yet some people actually take them seriously. No really, they do! If you're going to ask a silly question here purely for entertainment value, and you don't make it very clear you're not serious, you have to accept that many of us won't be sure whether or not you are.

I'm not uptight about style at all. That's the entire point of my previous post. Do what you like, and don't worry about others.
This is a silly topic and if you were actually worrying about it (which is actually feasible around here) then I see nothing wrong with mocking you or simply saying it's pathetic as I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
This is a silly topic and if you were actually worrying about it (which is actually feasible around here) then I see nothing wrong with mocking you or simply saying it's pathetic as I did.

I know the concept of irony eludes you, but here's yet another example as you endeavor to learn about it.

Ai_1 wrote:
I just skimmed the last couple of pages of this and wow, you really know how to be unpleasant about trivia for no particular reason!
Be nice, or at least try.....no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really see the point in putting my name on my bike, not like I'm going to confuse it for someone else's bike and anyone who wants to know my name can just ask. Don't like names on athletic jerseys either.
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
SharonMcN wrote:
If you crash, and can’t respond with your name, and don’t have ID on you, it’s one way for EMTs or others to yell your name at you while trying to revive you.

To this end I put return address labels inside my helmet, on the pump in my flat kit, under my saddle, etc.
I already have them, so it was easy.

Isn't that what a RoadID is for?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

I know the concept of irony eludes you, but here's yet another example as you endeavor to learn about it.

Ai_1 wrote:
I just skimmed the last couple of pages of this and wow, you really know how to be unpleasant about trivia for no particular reason!
Be nice, or at least try.....no?
I said "for no particular reason". I don't think you had a valid one in the other thread where your responses followed a very predictable pattern.
I do have a reason here, and was not trying to be mean so much as point out the implications of the initial post, if it had been meant seriously.

You've grown tiresome, and now you're jumping between threads in search of ammunition. I have to assume you simply can't figure a way out of your mess on the other thread so you're venturing further afield in desperation. If that's the tactic, I'm loath to indulge you. Argue your case where you made your mess if you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Never even thought about doing this.

Now I'm totally ordering some in the hopes that it rubs somebody's fur the wrong way.

I can get the 101st Airborne patch on it also so people can thank me for my service, Ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a lady did that to her bike and helmet and I think it's tacky. She showed me what not to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose I could have been more explicit about it being a discussion topic and not a request for advice. Thanks for the clarification; I'll be more clear in my future posts.

Ha, I saw the thread rubik brought up but didn't want to bring it here. But now that it is here, can we agree that mocking people is not nice? And that there's no need to mock people asking innocent (or even silly) questions? I agree with you that "be nice, or at least try" is very sound advice that the interned needs more of :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its cool because it your money. Ignore the naysayer's.
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
SharonMcN wrote:

To this end I put return address labels inside my helmet, on the pump in my flat kit, under my saddle, etc.
I already have them, so it was easy.

Isn't that what a RoadID is for?

RoadID is way too small and discreet, better to have a custom trisuit with your driver's license blown up and printed on the front and insurance card printed on the back. And if you aren't in the US where insurance is somehow necessary for saving one's life, then you have space to print a picture of the bike you were riding before you crashed.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Last edited by: hadukla: Aug 19, 20 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it's equivalent of putting bumper stickers on your car. Personalization and broadcasting to the world what "lifestyle i'm about", nothing wrong with it. Some people are more tasteful, some others not; some bumper stickers really complement the bike stlye, color, whatever, and some not so much.

I've cookie sticker on mine from Phil Gaimon..I think it looks cool...what do i know :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like them and just put one on my new bike. I don't really care what others think. On another note I had a friend who basically had a heart attack while riding. He did have ROAD ID but also had his name on his bike. Another rider road past the medical scene, stopped and looked at the guys bike and saw his name. He than sent a message to another friend who he thought knew this guy who he did. His friend was able to get in touch with the guys wife to let her know what happened to her husband before she was notified by the police/hospital/ambulance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only seen roadies do this, in small font on the side of the top tube, and I don't think it's a big deal. If anything, it helps me remember their names.

I met a guy a few weekends ago at a group ride who also put his name on his helmet. He usually organizes and helps lead the group rides, so I could see a benefit to having his name there because new folks were constantly seeking him out asking questions.

My perspective is different though because my other hobby is racing cars, where pretty much everyone puts their name on their car. The most common location is on the roof directly above the driver's side window
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if the decal has the name of the pro who used to own the bike?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if you bought the bike, surely you should remove the name tag, now that it's become incorrect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello vonegut and All,

Some Kurt might be apropos:

“Symbols can be so beautiful, sometimes.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

“So, in the interests of survival, they trained themselves to be agreeing machines instead of thinking machines. All their minds had to do was to discover what other people were thinking, and then they thought that, too.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

(Kurt died in April 2007) This one I just sneaked in because while not germane to this discussion, it was interesting that Kurt published it in 1973, apropos .....

“Like so many other pathological personalities in positions of power a million years ago, he might do almost anything on impulse, feeling nothing much. The logical explanations for his actions, invented at leisure, always came afterwards”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Galápagos

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Well if you bought the bike, surely you should remove the name tag, now that it's become incorrect?

What if the bike was given to you in appreciation for keeping it (and several dozens of its siblings) dialed in for the previous season?

Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

What if the bike was given to you in appreciation for keeping it (and several dozens of its siblings) dialed in for the previous season?
Hmmm, well I suppose they could have returned the favour by removing any old name tags etc for you but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's hardly the end of tge world! 😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
Lockdown boredom/slow day at work. This has been discussed tangentially a little bit in the past when someone was looking for name stickers for their bike (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rs_on_bike_P1823892/).

When is it acceptable to put a name+country flag sticker on your bike? Pros only? Once you've logged a best bike split at a race? Once your FTP is over 4.5 watts/kg? Or is it always a Fred move if you're not being paid to ride?

Discuss!

When I was on Jelly Belly, someone stole my Argon 18 team bike while I was in class. A few of my collegiate teammates and I all rode our bikes to class, and hid them around the back of the building by the mostly enclosed HVAC unit. When we came out of the building my bike was gone. I thought it was a prank at first but thankfully the dummy didn't even take my name sticker off the top tube. The shop that gave the guy $100 for it looked me up on Facebook and let me know that they had my bike. I've been okay with name stickers after that. I think my dad also has a couple of my JB team stickers that he still displays with pride even though those days are long past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Warbird wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Hmmm, well I suppose they could have returned the favour by removing any old name tags etc for you but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's hardly the end of tge world! 😉

I kept them on. I think of it much the same way as the shops and fitters who have signed jerseys up on the wall...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As part of our cycling club fees we get team stickers. It’s hard to remember everyone’s name as the club is huge but with everyone having their name on the bike it makes it much more social.

It takes away the “what’s your name again?”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reading through the replies you are the only person who chose to respond as though the poster was seriously concerned rather than curious and then responded personally. When it would have been so much easier to merely suggest that those (not the OP) who are concerned have other baggage. Get it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next