Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good?
Quote | Reply
My introduction to power meters was last year when I got a Pioneer crank pm, which I could only get on the drive side because of clearance issues. It's been pretty good, except I had to meet with a rep to adjust the readings because it was only giving half my output power. Anyway, to date it's been consistent, but consistently high, about 20-30 watts higher than other power meters, and there are connectivity problems when riding indoors. This has led me to look elsewhere for a better power meter, and I've read/watched that the Assioma Duo pedals are really good. Does anyone have experience with them, and are they as great as the reviews say?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [brunes83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Assioma Duo pedals are one of the gold standards. They are one of the few products for which there are almost no negative comments on the Internet. They are far better than the PowerTap P2 and Garmin Vector 3 pedals.

Edit: The only problem is that they are very limited availability right now. They are Italian, and manufacturing has been slow to nothing since COVID.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Aug 18, 20 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [brunes83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Rotor cranksets and power meters?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yes, I keep going back to their site and the "50 day" waiting period has been in effect for months. If I do go with power pedals, I will mostly likely wait, because buying them on resale are like twice as much.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond, I like the idea of power pedals because I can switch to each of my bikes, depending on what I'm riding that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cranksets can be moved between bikes fairly easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the uno and regret not getting the duo. I highly recommend them but also have no experience with any other power meters except for my trainer. Only had one problem with them when they released an update last year, but I messaged Favero and they sent me a patch within a day. So I can say that the one time I needed customer service, they responded pretty quickly.

Both bikes racked next to me at IMMT last year had them and neither of them had any problems with the pedals.

With regards to your current PM reading too high, I don't think it matters if it's consistent. It only matters if you're using it for Zwift, and even then it just means you might be racing in a higher category.

I also like to move the pedals from my tri bike to my old bike on the trainer for the winter so pedal based is the best for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the duels about 2 years ago for Father’s Day and I couldn’t be happier. No problems whatsoever (knock on wood) and accurate power readings. I don’t bike as far or as often as some of the animals on this site but the battery life seems very good and I calibrate before each ride. Easy to install and take off to use on another bike if needed.
I got them so I could start biking with power instead of trying to maintain a certain speed.
For what it’s worth, my last 70.3 I biked a PB. 8 minutes faster than my previous race and my legs were saved for the run. Also ran a PB by 18 minutes. My wife didn’t believe me that it was the pedals that helped that.
Highly recommend.

Good luck.

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, and then I immediately went back to looking at quarq, power2max, and favero because they provide the same product for significantly cheaper
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lang,

Yes, I actually don't use the Pioneer pm during Zwift, because I don't want to be "that guy" with inflated watts riding circles around everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Cranksets can be moved between bikes fairly easily.

depending on crank type and mechanical skills this statement alone may be technically true, but let's not pretend for a second that swapping cranks is even CLOSE to as easy as swapping pedals. if you want a PM that can be swapped between bikes readily, get pedals.

for the OP: I have assioma unos, first PM so nothing to compare to but couldn't be happier. no issues in a year of ownership and I ride the heck out of them. they work. no fuss. highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the duos, about 18mths now. Very reliable. No spikes, no problems. Easy to charge. Connect every time.
The only downside I have With them and this is minor. They use look cleats and they are a real pain to clip into. I’m always gagging around from traffic lights trying to get them clipped in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know everyone loves the Assiomas. But I measured accuracy against my vector and Neo and they have been annoyingly inconsistent

I suppose there’s a chance my Neo is inaccurate sometimes (and my Vector 2 & 3 were both equally inaccurate) - and I’m still looking for a Kickr to test against - but doesn’t seem likely

Everyone talks about ease of use for Assiomas, and for that they are amazing

But my experience has been the accuracy is suspect. I hit all new power PRs across EVERY duration since I got these pedals
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
But my experience has been the accuracy is suspect.

Grab yourself a certified (or accurately measured) weight and perform the static weight test within the Assioma app. That'll give you a good indication if they're within spec.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per your accuracy thread in April, I am pretty sure you have a defective set of Assioma Duos.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assioma refuses to exchange mine - said they don’t see any accuracy issues

I’ll do the static weight test - just gotta find a certified weight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ditched two sets of vector 3s from garmin because they couldnt get them right. the vectors, even in their current state where you're suppose to use baby oil on the batters, to me, are not worth the price.

the assiomas i replaced them with have been awesome. i actually broke the left pedal myself. i emailed favero, told them what happened, and in the middle of italy's pandemic and shut down i had someone helping me troubleshoot from across the world to figure out a way to help me get a replacement, which they did. only thing i had to spend was money for shipping.

my assiomas are fantastic and their support is as well.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the dual sided Assioma's. Never had a problem with them. Takes me less than 5 minutes to switch them between my road bike and TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unlike others I have had zero problems with 3 sets of Vector 3 pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm looking for a new power meter, are Assioma Duo power pedals good? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've heard good things about the Vector 3s, but not enough. I guess the only REAL issue with Assiomas right now is they're currently not in production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like they are in production, but probably slow and massively backlogged with a few months of demand. There have been multiple reports in this and other threads who signed up on the wait list and got their pedals in the past month. So, if you are interested, sigh-up on the wait list.
Quote Reply