Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with poor shifting coming down the gears
Quote | Reply
Hello folks!

I have a 2013 Cannondale SuperSix with Shimano 105 5700. It generally shifts up the cassette well but struggles on the way down to [higher gears] sometimes it requires two clicks to actually shift down. I replaced with brand new cable and housing today, but the problem persist. I'm was thinking the STI shifter was the cause and proceeded to clean it throughly and lube it and again it didn't help. Any ideas? I appreciate your help in advance.

-Emmanuel

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help with poor shifting coming down the gears [Tri@PUR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By “higher gears,” do you mean shifting toward small dogs or harder gears?

There re many possible problems:
  • Basic out-of-adjustment. Loosen the barrel adjuster.
  • B Screw adjustment pushing the derailleur too far From the cogs.
  • Derailleur hanger bent.

Quote Reply
Re: Help with poor shifting coming down the gears [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, the most likely culprit is a slightly bent hangar. In addition, if the hangar is even slightly bent, nothing you do will compensate for it.

The tool costs about $100, but I think it's absolutely worth it if you anticipate fixing your own bikes. (You have to remove cables and the derailleur to adjust the hangar, not hard, but not totally trivial.)

I posted before about this recently, but this tool usually fixes all your rear cog shifting problems instantly once you use it. In fact, it's the ONLY thing that has fixed my shifting on my bikes - if it's even a tiny adjustment, it makes shifting from occasionally off to perfect, instantly, no other tricks or adjustments needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with poor shifting coming down the gears [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

lightheir wrote:
Unfortunately, the most likely culprit is a slightly bent hangar. In addition, if the hangar is even slightly bent, nothing you do will compensate for it.

The tool costs about $100, but I think it's absolutely worth it if you anticipate fixing your own bikes. (You have to remove cables and the derailleur to adjust the hangar, not hard, but not totally trivial.)

I posted before about this recently, but this tool usually fixes all your rear cog shifting problems instantly once you use it. In fact, it's the ONLY thing that has fixed my shifting on my bikes - if it's even a tiny adjustment, it makes shifting from occasionally off to perfect, instantly, no other tricks or adjustments needed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to confirm:

The cable moves freely within the housing? It isn't binding at all?

If it is free then I'd be checking hanger alignment too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri@PUR wrote:
Hello folks!

I have a 2013 Cannondale SuperSix with Shimano 105 5700. It generally shifts up the cassette well but struggles on the way down to [higher gears] sometimes it requires two clicks to actually shift down. I replaced with brand new cable and housing today, but the problem persist. I'm was thinking the STI shifter was the cause and proceeded to clean it throughly and lube it and again it didn't help. Any ideas? I appreciate your help in advance.

-Emmanuel

Is the rear derailleur functioning correctly? Does the spring pull back the derailleur, or is something binding? Are the cable housings properly cut? Is there a kink in the housing anywhere? Is there dirt in the housings? Is the rear loop to the derailleur the proper length? Is the cable tension correct? If it’s too tight then shifts to smaller cogs will be slow.

Unless the hanger is really out, that probably isn’t it. Shimano rear derailleurs have a floating top pulley that is designed to mitigate small alignment issues.

I would disconnect the cable, make sure it is pulling smoothly through the system, then make sure the spring is functioning properly, then reconnect it and make sure the cable tension is adjusted properly. Eyeball it from the back of the bike, when in one of the middle cogs the chain should run straight down from the cog through the derailleur.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Help with poor shifting coming down the gears [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it's likely the hangar. When you have issues of different shifting behavior from top to bottom gears, and especially those weird 'double-click' required, that's a strong sign of hangar misadjustment.

All the barrel adjuster stuff and cable smoothness are for small changes that will not cause these sorts of problems. The cable tension also should not affect one half of the cogset more than the other to the degree the OP is getting. Cable tension issues should NEVER give double-shift problems - I know this as I've tried both very loose and overly tight cable tension for experimentation, and the main thing they do is give shifting limited to the upper or lower portions of the cassette (you'll be missing gears) but it otherwise shifts 100% perfectly between those gears if your hangar is aligned.

I literally had the exact problems as the OP with double-shifting required as well and top-to-bottom errant shift behavior that was 100% hangar alignment. Unfortunately, I too messed with nearly everything else before getting to it (man I futzed with new cables and cable tension for so long!), despite knowing full well that you really have to start with hangar adjustment, and everything else takes care of itself.
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 17, 20 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: Help with poor shifting coming down the gears [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, new cable and housing installed today.

jaretj wrote:
Just to confirm:

The cable moves freely within the housing? It isn't binding at all?

If it is free then I'd be checking hanger alignment too.

Quote Reply