Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Covid 19 (lbs)
Quote | Reply
Without taking away from the seriousness of all this I have to admit that from October of last year (168 lbs) to yesterday (195 lbs) this has not been one of my better years at curbing my appetite for cake.

Anyone else want to be honest??
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Impressive, not quite there myself, but I know a lot of folks in your boat. And I effing love cake, cookies, cupcakes. My wife is a heck of a good baker, too. We just don't let ourselves go too crazy bringing that stuff into the house :)

I know my body composition definitely headed in the wrong direction. Ive stopped swimming and lost some good upper body mass and replaced with a lot of not so good belly mass. 168 when they announced the IMSG postponement this spring--> 173 this morning.

Really haven't been running enough for consistent weight control. That's a big key for me. Almost regardless of what I eat, if i hit 30mpw, i maintain weight despite what I shovel in. If I hit 40+ mpw, I generally lean out.

THe added wrinkle with covid is i find that working from home means i'm constantly grazing and going to the fridge/ pantry. I don't tell myself no like i should. the whole unlimited snacking thing is hard... when I was in the office or travelling, I had a pretty defined eating routine (generally skip breakfast or something light, a lunch, a dinner, and a hotel marketplace bag of chips or some cereal thing before bed).

Now, it seems like I just eat all day, every day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from 140 up to 148 2 months after lockdown even though I was running 80+ km per week. I THINK without swimming my overall intensity was was lower and I was not burning that many calories running and had my swimmer appetite. 2 months after starting swimming, I just weighed in today at 141 lbs. Overall volume has stayed similar ~ 18-20 hrs per week. But the first few months it was runninng 80km+ along with the rest of the hours from cycling and the rowing machine. Now its mainly 20-25km swimming, ~50-60km running and the rest is cycling. So I think with the swimming back in, the average intensity of my weeks are waaaay up and its elevating my metabolism outside of training.

I am training for end of year 25x400IM = 10K set....now I just need to find a pool with a 3.5 hrs time slot, or I may have to do a private rental of a city pool (which is possible).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
November 2019 training for IM Coz low was 189

Today 213. I typically gain 8-10 off season so start of quarantine was more like 200-203. Being unable to run didn’t help.

Time for a change.
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is about 99% of where I've been and got to, too.
I think I have lost walking 3 or 4 miles a day from the 'incidental' stuff like to and from the train station, up and down stairs in the office block amd to adjacent buildings on site etc too.

I'm more like 15-20lbs higher than I need to be - some of that I'd normally have expected to drop when training for a long race after serios training kicks in in Feb or March each year. But with no races to give a focus, I've gone + 10 lbs
rather than -10lbs.

I'm swimming OW 2 or 3 times a week, ad hoc biking, but the running has died a death. I need to get back running to start to lose some lard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the reverse effect. Without a social life I no longer have competition for my non-work time. I had mentally set a goal of losing a "COVID-19" lbs, but at this point am >35 down (210 -> 172). Another 10 puts me back close to former IM race weight.

Someone else mentioned no travel and being at home making it harder for them, and again my pattern is the reverse. No afternoon Starbucks at the office, no hotel dinner + 3 large glasses (i.e. bottle) of wine, no snack bar in the room.

I recognize all of the above are pat behavioral failures on my part but the new circumstances have jolted me into a more positive routine. Wondering what a return to normal (although I don't expect that until 2021) will bring and how to maintain this improved balance.
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should add that I was losing 5000 steps or so per day off incidental stuff when I went on work from home. And I was basically gaining 1 lbs per week (for 8 weeks). So in addition to adding swimming back to training in the last 8 week, I actually got my butt out of the house to go to the pool which comes with some incidental motion, so that all adds up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was going to be my first time to race in 10 years.
I'm down about 10 pounds.
I've been doing Camp Gladiator to keep up with a routine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a single dad with two young children and a hatred of the trainer. To say that I have overdone it on the eating and underdone it on the exercising would be an understatement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With everything closed, I started only eating home cooked meals and counting calories/macros. Lost 40lbs this year. ...also gave up booze. Finally, I don't look like MAMIL in a trisuit, but no races happening to show off the bod, and beaches are closed in Japan. Running when lean is so much nicer than running when fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, we're pretty free in NZ compared to many, but TBH I'm finding it almost impossible to lose weight now I'm in my 60's, and I'm running the mountains 70+km / week.
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [sholdowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to tell you this, but you're just a kid.
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaaazeus Dev you're doing more work than it did all of last year and I lost weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To all you people who have self discipline and lost weight this year, good for you......and fuck off.....:0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took the "-" part of COVID-19 very seriously. I lost 19 pounds. It was easy... I didn't have all that crap food from the breakroom, I stopped shopping for fun, I stopped going out for drinks with friends, I left a miserable relationship, made a point to exercise like a maniac, and have a much healthier work-life integration. I work a few hours, then exercise. Then work, then do yoga. Then work, then do weights. Then work, then go for a walk. Who has time food in a schedule like that? You can tell when I left that unhealthy relationship.... I guess that was the real catalyst.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Jaaazeus Dev you're doing more work than it did all of last year and I lost weight.

The problem is that even if you train 20 hrs a week, you can't eat for 25 hrs per week....or 20 hrs per week of intensity plus walking around day to day life versus 20 hrs off lower intensity, and sitting on your but at work from home.

So the main problem is that after 4 years of training like a swimmer, I am eating like a swimmer, rather than the anorexic performance runner eating routine (which is about the same eating routine at the Victoria Secrets gals, but you just end up hanging out with a bunch of skinny runners rather than supermodels). So now that I am back to swimming, the weight control is going slightly on the the right direction....this week was 28km swimming (5 days of doubles, one single, one day off, and 6 days of running). All kidding aside, I find training on weekdays is the only time I am doing anything other than work (this work from home zaps any separation between personal life and professional life)....so the workouts force me away from being tethered. On weekends, I guess I just spend time on ST when I am not training!
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I am on a similar schedule to you (different workouts) but I am either working or working out. The problem is that the entire time I am working I am eating (my team jokes about me eating through all zoom calls). In the office, I would run out of food. This is not the scenario at home.

I think I have to go on the Macca approved cabbage and water diet if I am going to be eating all day. Aparently that was the plan that got him the Kona 2010 win (well that and roping in Tissink, Faris and Vanhoenacker to be his personal domestiques to T2 and gap Crowie). But I hear cows can get fat eating grass, so I may need to just go on the water program (no cabbage) !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was working from home, I was actually cutting weight. Work from 5am til 10ish -- ride (trainer). Eat and work until late lunch. Chase kiddo around until before dinner -- run.

Return to work ... Back to 5am workouts. Stuck on my rear end. Stress is higher. Weight went on. Did not think I was eating more. Going to be more careful with what I eat.

Sigh. Only race of year is done. Time to figure out if trying 12 hour mtb race or not in 2 month.
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev.....I have come to the conclusion the reason I lose weight when training for an event (mine are not always races....see Kona RR) is because the hours I spend training are no longer hours I spend eating. No event, no training, no restraint.

See you in Montreal September-21.....(I'll be the guy on the three wheeler :0)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu-7DXBiVsA
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I took the "-" part of COVID-19 very seriously. I lost 19 pounds. It was easy... I didn't have all that crap food from the breakroom, I stopped shopping for fun, I stopped going out for drinks with friends, I left a miserable relationship, made a point to exercise like a maniac, and have a much healthier work-life integration. I work a few hours, then exercise. Then work, then do yoga. Then work, then do weights. Then work, then go for a walk. Who has time food in a schedule like that? You can tell when I left that unhealthy relationship.... I guess that was the real catalyst.

This is pretty much the progress that I've made, less exiting the relationship. Cooking all my own meals, having healthy snacks (e.g. fruit, nuts, oats, whole grain toast, etc.), training like a fiend in WFH environment (averaging ~300 cycling miles and 30+ running miles/week), I also lost a good amount of upper body mass from not swimming for months, which I've never been able to do (my body naturally carries a lot of upper body mass).

I was already focused on losing weight this year prior to covid as I wanted to perform the best that I ever had. Around Christmas, I was right around 180lbs. I had myself down to the low 170s for the start of the Hincapie spring series, and the high 160s when I was locked out of my Y in late March. I don't have a scale, but I have to think that I'm down to 160 now- my upper body is visibly smaller, my abs and ribcage are much more visible than they have been, and my clothes fit looser across the board. Fitness has also come up too- I set a PR up Mount Mitchell and climbed with the strongest riders I know, and actually just beat a number of strong TTers in a virtual 10mi TT last week.

I fully acknowledge the results would be much different if I were not a single 25 YO dude living alone. For me, I love training, I love feeling fit and healthy, and I love quantitative metrics and seeing my data improve. My goal now is to make permanent gains in fitness which will carry over to a higher base in the future. Just wrapping up a huge build cycle now mostly focused on cycling, then going to transition to some TT-specific cycling training along with building run volume for a fall marathon (I feel like there's a chance some smaller ones may happen in the south). At some point though, I do want to take a step back and cut the intensity/volume to allow me to recover from the big training load this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So my doctor said, eat more Phish, it's healthy for you, so I listened

https://www.benjerry.com/...-food-ice-cream/pint

Not going to mention the weight but it's not been pretty.
Quote Reply
Re: The Covid 19 (lbs) [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember to give yourself time to recover - nothing ruins a “I’m in the best shape of my life” block like getting injured and taking 4 weeks off...
Don’t ask me how i know!

Congrats on being so strong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost ten lbs, then we moved, ate out a lot, then I gained those back and now I'm working hard to regain the fitness.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've actually dropped 20 lbs since the beginning of the year.

The last 5 years I was the heaviest I've been in my life. No amount of exercise or watching calories made a difference. At the end of January this year, my doctor finally figured out that I was extremely iron deficient, and once my diet and supplementation was corrected, the weight started dropping off even though I was eating more and still too fatigued to work out. Once I started feeling better at the end of February, I bought a new trainer and re-upped my Zwift subscription. The timing turned out to be perfect, as the lockdowns started a few weeks later. Since there isn't much else to do nowadays, I've been getting in more weekday (indoor) riding, and more miles per week than the last few years. Add to that less eating out, and I'm lighter (and faster, at least on the bike) than I've been since 2014...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching Ridiculousness yesterday they were talking about gaining the Quarantine 15, which is better than getting Covid 19. Thought that was pretty funny.

I'm running about 5 pounds heavy despite averaging about an hour a week more exercise. I blame it on all the cookies in the house (my wife is a GREAT baker/cook)
Quote Reply