Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Communicating with Ironman?
Quote | Reply
Any tips on receiving a response to a question to Ironman? I've tried twice using their Athlete Messaging system through the website with no response. Then tried a respectful tweet to them. No response on either front. It's not a basic FAQ question and they know from history I'm a committed supporter of the organization (11 IM and 20+ halfs) but still haven't heard anything back.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Communicating with Ironman? [Ironcoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironcoop wrote:
Any tips on receiving a response to a question to Ironman? I've tried twice using their Athlete Messaging system through the website with no response. Then tried a respectful tweet to them. No response on either front. It's not a basic FAQ question and they know from history I'm a committed supporter of the organization (11 IM and 20+ halfs) but still haven't heard anything back.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Wish I knew!

I had a question about WC slots for my deferred race - emailed the race through the email and got a reply a few days later to send an email to the WC email address (instead of forwarding the email themselves...great customer service - make the customer do all the work!).

So I emailed the WC email address a few weeks ago and......crickets.

After their handling of this pandemic, and their regrettable customer service blunders (from awful communication to ridiculous refund policies) this will Likely be my last IM branded race unless the new ownership really turns things around.

For a billion dollar company they sure seem like their making stuff up as they go with very little internal forethought.
Quote Reply
Re: Communicating with Ironman? [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - I've always been a committed Ironman guy, but similar thoughts through all of this. I know this is a very difficult time for them, but the way it's handled (or not) will likely influence the way many of us view them for the next decade...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having success receiving responses after Victoria 70.3 was cancelled.

Then I pointed out that my Active account showed I hadn’t yet signed a waiver with a clause they were referencing. This clause has been quoted elsewhere.

I asked to received a copy of any waiver I had signed at registration and it’s been radio silence ever since.

Agree with others about poor customer service. I’ll transfer my entry to another race but this will be my last Ironman branded event until I see improved customer service and a refund policy that aligns with my expectations for a world leading event company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give them some credit. They have to deal with thousands of athletes and a very uncertain future. The world is changing at a rapid pace. Focus on the things you can control and don't worry about the things you can't.
And if not getting a response is so crucial for you that you don't want to do business with them anymore that's fine. In some situations you just can't please everybody. The whole entertainment business is suffering hard...
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Communicating with Ironman? [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your question, chances are close to, if not, 100% of you getting an answer from this community. You might need to determine if pink needs to be applied to said answers though.

But, I have had pretty timely responses with individual races, maybe try that route if you don't find what you need from the Slowtwitch community.
Last edited by: SwizBeats: Aug 14, 20 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Communicating with Ironman? [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
Give them some credit. They have to deal with thousands of athletes and a very uncertain future. The world is changing at a rapid pace. Focus on the things you can control and don't worry about the things you can't.
And if not getting a response is so crucial for you that you don't want to do business with them anymore that's fine. In some situations you just can't please everybody. The whole entertainment business is suffering hard...
Sam
Not only the athletes as such, But differen Legislation in each country (although I Think EU is roughly the same). I’m pretty sure they’re Hung up doing legal stuff, so they’re not loosing as much money as they could. I’m pretty sure EU laws are pretty much “deliver or pay up”, no matter How many disclosures they make, so that might be a substantial economical loss for them, aside from not doing the racers. I Think they’re just caught up in more “important” stuff - their survival perhaps
Quote Reply
Re: Communicating with Ironman? [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
sgy wrote:
Sam
Not only the athletes as such, But differen Legislation in each country (although I Think EU is roughly the same). I’m pretty sure they’re Hung up doing legal stuff, so they’re not loosing as much money as they could. I’m pretty sure EU laws are pretty much “deliver or pay up”, no matter How many disclosures they make, so that might be a substantial economical loss for them, aside from not doing the racers. I Think they’re just caught up in more “important” stuff - their survival perhaps

I am quite sure they will get their act back together if they are allowed to. First, it's governments that need to get their act together. Since those are not personally impacted financially by their stupid decision making this might take another while...
I have contacted Ironman a few times via different channels and always got an answer. In some cases I had to persevere a bit but I understand that it is hard for them to answer questions they don't know the answer for and in those cases they will formulate a more or less standardized answer which seems fair.

On another note and totally unrelated: I contacted Zwift helpdesk twice after they messed up after an update and never got an answer either, despite it being an easy to answer question. Me and my wife didn't whine about it and just stopped our subscription. If you think there are better alternatives, go for it! While I haven't missed Zwift for a single second, I do hope IM gets rolling again soon and I will keep supporting them.

Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one home to answer. They laid off the majority of their nonessential staff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am guessing they have a few thousand poeple asking question and not a lot of people answering emails, so it might be a while.

Last I checked the main phone number for Ironman was 813-868-5940 (no idea if that is still accurate) , so you could try that (no idea if anyone will answer, but worth a shot.)

Quote | Reply
I would say if your question is about some upcoming race, then you probably will not get your answer. Until everyone with the same exact question gets an answer through some press release. I can imagine they are getting 1000's of calls and emails about upcoming races, most if not all of will be cancelled as soon as the local jurisdiction pulls the permits. Until then they have no answer to those questions.

Now if you are calling and asking how you can give them a couple million dollars to be the new shoe or bike sponsor, you would probably get a call back...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which race?

I have contacts for most race directors.

Worked a bit with ironman over the last 25 yrs.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Communicating with Ironman? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Which race?

Newbie.... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the question?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Communicating with Ironman? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
PJC wrote:
Which race?

Newbie.... :-)

Huh?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply