Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultraman training
Quote | Reply
As I get older I find myself looking for bigger challenges. Maybe part to show I still can as well as find out what I really am capable of. I finally did a full ironman when I turned 50. not fast but a respectable time. I am not 55 and having crazy thoughts about an ultraman (or equivalent) type distance. I think part of of the attraction is the journey, not just the race itself.

My question has to do with training. how much different training would be required in your opinion to be well prepared for this endevour?? similar to ironman plus a few longer rides and swims?

thanks for your thoughts on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman training [johnp12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people who start training for Ultraman events end up overthinking it and spending waaaaaay too much time doing long slow stuff. There is no need to do countless over distance swims, rides and runs.The reality is that for most (unless you want to win it) it isn't much more than Ironman. I'd get your swim worked out as that is the biggest challenge for most and then schedule some long rides and runs somewhere in your training blocks. Same goes for Double,Triple Iron's but with those you need to factor in riding through the night and sleep deprivation

The hardest thing about Ultraman these days is paying for it.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Aug 13, 20 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman training [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I appreciate it. I know there are also those anvil races I have been reading about. Cheaper. not sure if 1 event is run better or worse than ultraman. For something like this, the experience to me is important.
thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman training [johnp12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnp12 wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate it. I know there are also those anvil races I have been reading about. Cheaper. not sure if 1 event is run better or worse than ultraman. For something like this, the experience to me is important.
thanks again

The Ultraman/Ultra520K/Ultra515 events have become more of "A show" even though they are still small races.They do however now have the pre-race dinner and awards at fancy venues and all the bells and whistles and that has driven up the cost a hell of a lot.The Double Anvils in the USA are essentially small versions of an Ultra-Wildflower with all three held in fairly isolated parks and most people camping out (the Euro races are different). Both have their appeal and my two favourite triathlon events overall are the Ultra520K Canada in Penticton (the race set the template for service and organization for all of the others) and the Double Anvil in Oregon.

Without being too corny,I have seen these events change peoples lives and more than a few macho wanker Ironman types have arrived all full of themselves only to have their egos checked and be totally different people by the time their race weekend was done.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Aug 13, 20 18:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first ultra tri at age 54. Mainly because Steve King said I should. Well that's what I'm saying. Lots to learn in the process. Feel free to pm me for more details.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

Without being too corny,I have seen these events change peoples lives and more than a few macho wanker Ironman types have arrived all full of themselves only to have their egos checked and be totally different people by the time their race weekend was done.

So much truth to that! Pros and AGers alike!
Quote Reply