Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Birtherism 2.0 [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:

I only wish the Lincoln Party website would be more clear in their agenda. They say “we have been, and remain, broadly conservative (or classically liberal) in our politics and outlooks. Our many policy differences with national Democrats remain, but our shared fidelity to the Constitution dictates a common effort.”

The conservatives I talk to are less sophisticated and need to read or hear something obvious like, “we are pro life but more importantly we support the Constitution and our country. Therefore, we oppose Trump and his GOP. We’ll make a better GOP to fight for our conservative beliefs after this crisis is over.”

Shade of gray. We are not all conservative or all liberal. I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal. IOW, don't spend money we don't have and I don't give a fuck about which adult you have sex with.
Quote Reply
Re: Birtherism 2.0 [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

I only wish the Lincoln Party website would be more clear in their agenda. They say “we have been, and remain, broadly conservative (or classically liberal) in our politics and outlooks. Our many policy differences with national Democrats remain, but our shared fidelity to the Constitution dictates a common effort.”

The conservatives I talk to are less sophisticated and need to read or hear something obvious like, “we are pro life but more importantly we support the Constitution and our country. Therefore, we oppose Trump and his GOP. We’ll make a better GOP to fight for our conservative beliefs after this crisis is over.”

Shade of gray. We are not all conservative or all liberal. I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal. IOW, don't spend money we don't have and I don't give a fuck about which adult you have sex with.

Classical liberalism is not like social liberalism. It has elements of conservatism with economics, but liberal towards people. It leans left on people, but has Libertarian aspects of small government and a smaller welfare state, it looks to negative rights vs positive rights, e.g, protect citizens from harm and focus more on working for themselves to prosper. Originally Libertarian came from the left, but is now morphed to more a far right thing. Classical liberalism is kind of like a centerist Libertarian in ways. Although I don't think free trade is as easy as it sounds, it can be abused as the market finds child and slave labor cheap. The Economist describes its editorial style as Classical Liberalism.
Quote Reply
Re: Birtherism 2.0 [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
That's materially not true. Boris Johnson was born there. The issue here is who wrote it and the pitch (if this is worth of a discussion which I can't comment on)

I don’t know what you mean.
Quote Reply
Re: Birtherism 2.0 [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattbk wrote:
Originally Libertarian came from the left, but is now morphed to more a far right thing.

Correct. Throughout the 1900's the likes of Hayek, von Mises, Rand, et al, kind of took over it, bringing a lot of right-wing stuff into it.

For the worse, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Birtherism 2.0 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mattbk wrote:
Originally Libertarian came from the left, but is now morphed to more a far right thing.

Correct. Throughout the 1900's the likes of Hayek, von Mises, Rand, et al, kind of took over it, bringing a lot of right-wing stuff into it.

For the worse, in my opinion.

I dont like far left wing or far right wing. I like some of the Classical Liberalism views, and I like news that doesn't confirm my biases but makes me think. Some sites I read have said things that initially annoyed me, but provided various perspectives. I realized I need to read stuff that challenges my beliefs and biases. If I agree with everything i am reading, Im not challenging myself.. I guess that's also why I come here to the Lavender Room...
Quote Reply

Prev Next