Login required to post replies

cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter
Quote | Reply
https://www.kickstarter.com/...ipr?ref=project_link

doesnt look like it displays watts, but does do distance
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow this looks really cool. I already have a concept2, but I would consider getting it for the ski/swim option (stand up swimming butterfly stroke....who knows what will happen with Covid19 and pool access. For now my pools are open, but it could easily go the wrong way once winter flu season kicks in and everything gets locked up again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. I think it's a smart idea for a product and those of us who've read some threads here about DIY dry land swim trainers probably thought about something like this. So that someone is making one is great, I hope they are successful.
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really think this can help swim training when set up in ski erg mode and do butterfly double arm pull. For that alone, it would be pretty convenient. Just need to attach some swim paddes to get the high elbow catch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see anything in it that comes anywhere near what Vasa can do functionality wise.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Aug 12, 20 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I don't see anything in it that come anywhere near what Vasa can do functionality wise.

the vasa is 5x the price...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I don't see anything in it that comes anywhere near what Vasa can do functionality wise.

what is missing? I think both the vasa and this tool are missing out on something, and that is where the string attaches, which would be the wrist. Also need to attach something to the elbow area. Thus 4 of these machines to get all the proper points of the arm to mimic swim is still going to be cheaper than the vasa, (or get 2 of these machines and attach bands for your elbows)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

what is missing? I think both the vasa and this tool are missing out on something, and that is where the string attaches, which would be the wrist. Also need to attach something to the elbow area. Thus 4 of these machines to get all the proper points of the arm to mimic swim is still going to be cheaper than the vasa, (or get 2 of these machines and attach bands for your elbows)

As a diehard Vasa user, I do think this machine could potentially serve as a cheaper Vasa alternative, and I'm hoping they make it.

With some extra attention by the makers and users, you could definitely see this being adapted well.

Of course, the devil is in the details. The biggest thing I've learned with my Vasa in terms of tri tools is that if it's handicapped more than minimally, you'll probably never use it more than a few times. It's why almost nobody does dedicated tethered swimming in a home pool despite so many people having them, and nobody doing pool running as well. Also the same problem with long-term swim replacement with elastic bands - even if it's 'ok for a bit', you won't commit the hundreds of hours needed to really work it.

And the Vasa of course has it's fair share of limitations compared to pool swimming. But at least for me, those 'details' that make it better than bands, makes all the difference between never-used compared to used hours per week, for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems like a pretty low price point for a quality unit. While I think it's overpriced, the Ercolina is 6x the price without the power meter but does provide the ability to do classic xc style poling or swim exercises. https://www.newmoonski.com/...ody-trainer-4131.htm

If they actually produce a quality product at a price lower than a concept 2, I will buy one. It'll be better than my DIY ski erg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P81cRegipUw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's missing? Vasa comes with a bench, a frame with a rail that routes the bench and the erg that's nicely integrated with the bench. Did I miss a swimming accessory that would allow one to "swim"? I see a rowing machine, but that's not the same thing.

One other thing I love about Vasa is that it is modular - you can easily replace most parts with some basic tools. Whipr better be designed like this too.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

One of the stretch goals is a swim accessory. They'll need you to buy 2 devices though so it makes sense. I have a vast but I'm definitely cheering for this product. Basically $400 and hope they reach $500k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a more fundamental problem with that device - the heat.

It provides resistance by using a set of planetary gears. Basically turning friction into heat. Maybe it will work for long enough to do a couple of intervals, but I bet it won't stand up to an hour of use. It's a small box without any power, cooling, or anything.
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [richie_engineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
richie_engineer wrote:

It provides resistance by using a set of planetary gears. Basically turning friction into heat. Maybe it will work for long enough to do a couple of intervals, but I bet it won't stand up to an hour of use. It's a small box without any power, cooling, or anything.

haha....they need to pass water through this to boil it for your coffee.
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just go to a goodwill store or craigslist, and pick up an old Nordic Track ski machine for $20. Take the skis off, raise the cable unit as high as it will go, stand on it, lean foreword, and you have an instant swim machine. I did this for 3 months while the pool was closed, got back in the pool 8 weeks ago, and swam my fastest non wetsuit oly distance swim yesterday.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting concept, the old adage comes to mind:

“You gets what you pays for”
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah if you travel a lot, this may be a good option. Otherwise, it’s going to be a poor quality, rowing/vasa/ski machine.
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
Just go to a goodwill store or craigslist, and pick up an old Nordic Track ski machine for $20. Take the skis off, raise the cable unit as high as it will go, stand on it, lean foreword, and you have an instant swim machine. I did this for 3 months while the pool was closed, got back in the pool 8 weeks ago, and swam my fastest non wetsuit oly distance swim yesterday.

not widely available not at that price point as you make it seem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did a search on CL, for the KC area, and there were four, one for $100, one for $1, one for $35, and one for $25. That took about 15 seconds. Add FB classifieds, and all the pawn shops, DAV, SA, flea market, etc, and they are easy to find in a populated area. But if you live in the Boonies, it might be different.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they talk to DCRainmaker? Or, at least read his blog occasionally?
Needs watts, ANT+, BTLE, and a way to export to Steava and maybe even Zwift for rowing (skiing and swimming in the future?)
Seems very small and maybe unstable mounting with a strap or that underdoor balloon?.
What happens when you really crank on it?

It is interesting, might consider backing it.
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i asked a few of those questions on the kickstarter forum. to swim you will need two units, which would include swim paddles at $400 roughly. they state there is internal fan to alleviate overheating issues. also mentioned a dcrainmaker review. they said they aren't doing any freebie units, but i should mention to them that he usually sends product back. as for connectivity they have added bluetooth and state it should be compatible with zwift, garmin, etc. i think they said the protocol for BT is the same as concept 2 is using.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How could it work well without a flywheel? I'm very skeptic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about this as a cheaper Vasa as well. I'm currently using the stretch cords 2x per week to supplement my swimming (I can really only get to the pool 2-3x per week).

The thing I notice is how small the unit is relative to the forces applied to it. If you look at the video, the rowing machine doesn't look stable at all. Sure, its designed to be able to pack up and travel. If you need a rowing machine and you're in a remote location, this would fit the bill. What it wouldn't do is actually replace a rowing machine for a dedicated space for someone who's a dedicated rower. I guess it is cheaper, so if budget is an issue, there's your market.

All the other exercises are tethered to a door frame via a small inflatable pouch. Notice on the video the unit has a sizable amount of give when the guy pulls down. Same idea as the above - this likely works if you're on the go and can't count on a decent workout elsewhere, but as a primary unit the benefit is solely in its cost (and I suppose the ability to store it compactly)

I thought about the buying 2x and turning it into a Vasa, with a workout bench and paddles that I already have with the stretch bands. You really couldn't mount it to the door, it would be too low - you'd need something higher up, about 1.5-2 feet off the ground to actively secure the unit. Maybe a bookcase, or something you build yourself? So not so easy now to use it as a Vasa replacement since the unit doesn't lend well to this type of use -> its designed to go into their rowing frame or a door unit on the floor, not somewhere 2 feet off the ground.

If you could get it to work, it wouldn't necessarily be as great as a Vasa, but I'm sure it would be better than the stretch cord system I currently use. The part I can't figure out is how to secure the units in the proper place without building a whole box around it and nailing it the floor/wall.
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 17, 20 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: If you buy 2 whipr's, they throw in the swim paddles free (just indicate on order). Now i still havent purchased since promise date is april, but i heard others mentioning june. Damnit these guys need to go on shark tank or something

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/whipr-a-portable-multi-sport-training-machine
Quote Reply
Re: cheap vasa / ski erg / rower ... kickstarter [richie_engineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
richie_engineer wrote:

From the brief view of the internals, I think that it is providing power with a small ergometer fan that is geared to high rpm using the planetary gears. That shouldn't really generate all that much heat in the gears and the air from the fan should be more than enough to keep them cool. That's what I thought they were doing, anyway.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply