Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strava Etiquette [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

KOMs are really a nonsense. The only way they would make sense as a measure of anything is if they were considered TTs, only to be claimed if you're not drafting. Even then weather would remain a big factor, and blatant cheating would remain virtually impossible to prevent.
Group riding is a big part of what road racing is about, but this is not road racing. This is a meaningless unqualified statistic for a few people to use to feed their egos.

It's racing on a road. It's road racing. Is it really a race? It's a list of times recorded separately whether you are interested/trying or not. Competition is inferred by some, but does that really make it a "race"? I think it's debatable.

That you don't like it doesn't really matter, right? To you? Of course not. You are completely free to ignore my opinion. To me? Yes, but only a trivial amount. I'm simply trying to influence others to improve the alignment between any consensus and my own preferences/beliefs. Is it of importance to me? No, not at all. I'm a big procrastinator, and this is just a tool to distract myself from what I should really be doing, or maybe to let the real ideas gestate subconsciously....yeah, I prefer that.

I mean, if it's truly meaningless to you, then that should preclude you from having any feelings about it whatsoever anyway, yeah? No, that's a silly argument made regularly around here and it's flawed, especially the way you're applying it. I said Strava KOMs are a nonsense. I care whether or not others grasp that. I care how people think. The opinion that something is silly or trivial does not imply that any comment about it is itself silly or trivial. Nor is there any contradiction in bothering to comment on something trivial.

It's like post after post of people whining about how meaningless it is and how much they don't care about it. Again, caring about KOM achievements is not the same as caring about others views about them.

The irony is comical. What irony?

See comments above.

The irony of you claiming something is nonsense and meaningless, yet trying to influence other people to view it as nonsense and meaningless.

It's hilarious. And nonsensical. And ironic.

Guess how much influence you have on what other people consider meaningful and entertaining?

Exactly zero.
You seem to be confusing yourself. Perhaps you think there's some self evident logic in what you've written, but I don't see it.
Care to explain the irony to me?

Incidentally, I never said it wasn't entertaining. I said Strava KOMs are a nonsense and a meaningless statistic. However, that doesn't stop any of us investing our own meaning for the hell of it. I regularly pluck numbers out of thin air and make them a target for motivation. So what? That's not the same as it being a meaningful measure of performance per my previous comment.

You've letting this topic get away from you.
You were saying cycling is all about group riding and suggested those of us who think KOMs are less valid because of group tactics are idiots. Instead of arguing your position, it seems to have vanished and now you're saying essentially nothing.

I say something's meaningless, you say my comment is meaningless. I mention irony and suddenly you're saying my posts are ironic. Is that the depth of your debating creativity?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

You seem to be confusing yourself. Perhaps you think there's some self evident logic in what you've written, but I don't see it.

Incidentally, I never said it wasn't entertaining. I said Strava KOMs are a nonsense and a meaningless statistic. However, that doesn't stop any of us investing our own meaning for the hell of it. I regularly pluck numbers out of thin air and make them a target for motivation. So what? That's not the same as it being a meaningful measure of performance per my previous comment.

You were saying cycling is all about group riding and suggested those of us who think KOMs are less valid because of group tactics are idiots. Instead of arguing your position, it seems to have vanished and now you're saying essentially nothing.

I say something's meaningless, you say my comment is meaningless. I mention irony and suddenly you're saying my posts are ironic. Is that the depth of your debating creativity?

I've explained it three times. If you're incapable of understanding what's written, there's little more for me to do.

No, I didn't say that was what cycling is all about. No, I didn't say that about KOMs.

Perhaps this is why you're so confused? You can't understand what's explicitly stated, and then you make up things that aren't written?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

I've explained it three times. If you're incapable of understanding what's written, there's little more for me to do.

No, I didn't say that was what cycling is all about. No, I didn't say that about KOMs.

Perhaps this is why you're so confused? You can't understand what's explicitly stated, and then you make up things that aren't written?

The following is post#81 in this thread and where I engaged in your discussion with Slug.
See the bits in bold above and below? Your point surely is as I claimed above and yet you've just completely denied it.
You may have said things 3 times, but you haven't explained as far as I can see.
You say I'm the one who's confused? I may need you to explain it all to me.

Ai_1 wrote:
rubik wrote:
Slug wrote:

Some things we can't control such as wind or traffic lights (that route has none), but we can control drafting, So that is where I draw my line for what's acceptable in KOM hunting.

This and the quips about the QOMs make absolutely zero sense. Drafting and pacelining is one of, if not THE, most essential aspect of bike racing.

That you would decry that in regards to Strava KOMs and QOMs is bizarre. It's what bike racing is all about.

KOMs are really a nonsense. The only way they would make sense as a measure of anything is if they were considered TTs, only to be claimed if you're not drafting. Even then weather would remain a big factor, and blatant cheating would remain virtually impossible to prevent.
Group riding is a big part of what road racing is about, but this is not road racing. This is a meaningless unqualified statistic for a few people to use to feed their egos.

Are you perhaps talking about the finer points of drafting and pacelining... that it's not a subset of group riding?
Last edited by: Ai_1: Aug 19, 20 4:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

The following is post#81 in this thread and where I engaged in your discussion with Slug.
See the bits in bold above and below? Your point surely is as I claimed above and yet you've just completely denied it.
You may have said things 3 times, but you haven't explained as far as I can see.
You say I'm the one who's confused? I may need you to explain it all to me.
Ai_1 wrote:
rubik wrote:
Slug wrote:

Some things we can't control such as wind or traffic lights (that route has none), but we can control drafting, So that is where I draw my line for what's acceptable in KOM hunting.

This and the quips about the QOMs make absolutely zero sense. Drafting and pacelining is one of, if not THE, most essential aspect of bike racing.

That you would decry that in regards to Strava KOMs and QOMs is bizarre. It's what bike racing is all about.

Cycling =/= bike racing.

I hope that helps alleviate some of your confusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
It's racing on a road. It's road racing. Is it really a race? It's a list of times recorded separately whether you are interested/trying or not. Competition is inferred by some, but does that really make it a "race"? I think it's debatable.

Clearly I don't think so either!
Last edited by: Ai_1: Aug 19, 20 4:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Is it really a race? It's a list of times recorded separately whether you are interested/trying or not. Competition is inferred by some, but does that really make it a "race"? I think it's debatable.

So you're replying to yourself at this point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Is it really a race? It's a list of times recorded separately whether you are interested/trying or not. Competition is inferred by some, but does that really make it a "race"? I think it's debatable.

So you're replying to yourself at this point?
Nice try. I see you edited that to remove the evidence that you had quoted my quote and therefore can't deny already knowing my position regarding KOMs as "racing" before you pretended to enlighten me that cycling and racing are not the same thing.

This is getting pathetic.

Go back and look at all your replies to me and others over the last few pages. There's an awful lot of little one line insults or attempts to reframe things. More of the same......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Slug wrote:
rubik wrote:
Slug wrote:
So, I am not taking KOMs as seriously as you think. But what I am doing, I am doing them by myself, under conditions anyone else could have ridden at the same time.

Well good on ya! I'm sure your sterling aspirations at mediocrity are well appreciated on page 19 of all those local segments on which you're so unserious.

You're a regular bastion of performance banality.

Well, you really are trying to justify your need to draft though.
I've had about 300 KOMs on the most popular cycling route in my area, and I am currently on the leaderboard on almost all of the segments. Bring your team out here so this 52 year-old can have something to shoot for Mkay?

You're 52 years old and whining about something you claim you don't care about, using words like "mkay" and "braddah"?

It gets better and better!
Whining about "mkay" and "braddah"? That's all you got? I'm not surprised, coming from a wheel sucking turd burgler.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
The one nobody talks much about that I have I guess the wrong opinion on: girls on group rides with guys.

Never take a pull but bag every QOM in town while sitting in. I always hear “the other ladies could join that ride”. What? And be a leech and never pull also? I am 100% sure there are plenty that could steal my lunch money as a dude rider easy. So no machismo there. But to me that’s double shit etiquette, don’t pull and bag QOMs in the process. Or a guy skipping all the pulls and tying the KOMs.

I’m a dude even, so shouldn't care. But it is reason number 1 I wish they had group vs solo leaderboards.

Was this you?

Quote:
There was the guy who completely changed his route to tag along with my partner, Dusty, and me on our quest for a Strava segment in favorable conditions. This old(er) man on his old(er) bike hopped right on Dusty’s wheel, separating us, and causing me to fall back out of his draft and our planned rotation. He could have realized he was the unknown factor in our pre-existing dynamic, and recognized that we had no understanding of each other’s handling skills before inserting himself. But no, our plans were ruined.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...tual_World_7747.html
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I am a chick and this burns my nuggets every time! I was actually oblivious to it until I witnessed the girl that holds many of the segments among a pack of dudes. Oh well, all you can do is laugh and keep training!
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [PattiPepper65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PattiPepper65 wrote:
Ha! I am a chick and this burns my nuggets every time! I was actually oblivious to it until I witnessed the girl that holds many of the segments among a pack of dudes. Oh well, all you can do is laugh and keep training!

I'm a dude, and I've run into that issue personally a few times. I was doing BWR, and got into a pack of 5-6 people on the back half of the course, and set up a good rotation. There was a woman in our group. She'd skip every pull, even though she was clearly one of the stronger members of the group. That didn't bother me, though. By the end we dropped most of our group, and it was just me and her - she was camped out on my wheel. In the last mile or so I started hearing a bunch of cheers, and it dawned on me that the leading woman was just ahead of us, and I was closing the gap. That's when I sat up. Just didn't feel right. She's never given me the time of day since.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
PattiPepper65 wrote:

I'm a dude, and I've run into that issue personally a few times. I was doing BWR, and got into a pack of 5-6 people on the back half of the course, and set up a good rotation. There was a woman in our group. She'd skip every pull, even though she was clearly one of the stronger members of the group. That didn't bother me, though. By the end we dropped most of our group, and it was just me and her - she was camped out on my wheel. In the last mile or so I started hearing a bunch of cheers, and it dawned on me that the leading woman was just ahead of us, and I was closing the gap. That's when I sat up. Just didn't feel right. She's never given me the time of day since.

You are hereby awarded my "internets" for the day. You win.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
In the last mile or so I started hearing a bunch of cheers, and it dawned on me that the leading woman was just ahead of us, and I was closing the gap. That's when I sat up. Just didn't feel right. She's never given me the time of day since.

I would've tried to make a deal with her: "If I can give you to great finish, you can give me a happy ending"

#nogiftsgiven

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
trail wrote:
In the last mile or so I started hearing a bunch of cheers, and it dawned on me that the leading woman was just ahead of us, and I was closing the gap. That's when I sat up. Just didn't feel right. She's never given me the time of day since.

I would've tried to make a deal with her: "If I can give you to great finish, you can give me a happy ending"

#nogiftsgiven

Unnecessary, disgusting, and the pink doesn't help much.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Aug 26, 20 0:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
trail wrote:

#nogiftsgiven

Fair enough. But she wouldn't have given him the time of day even after he drug her ass all the way to the lead. Now he keeps his pride and doesn't get friend zoned. And, I bet she tells all her "friends" that she lost because of him, thereby letting them know that they can't dangle the vajayjay in front of him and expect him to jump through hoops at every whim.

Win/win/win.

Oh, I almost forgot. The faster woman won.

4X Win.

Jeez, even when you hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th you get tossed under the bus.

Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slug wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
trail wrote:

#nogiftsgiven

Fair enough. But she wouldn't have given him the time of day even after he drug her ass all the way to the lead. Now he keeps his pride and doesn't get friend zoned. And, I bet she tells all her "friends" that she lost because of him, thereby letting them know that they can't dangle the vajayjay in front of him and expect him to jump through hoops at every whim.

Win/win/win.

4X Win.

Jeez, even when you hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th you get tossed under the bus.
Sorry, I don't follow that line of thinking at all.
Seems childish, petty and misogynistic to me.

What if she had been, say, a junior male racer for example. He'd sat in with a stronger group of men and taken no turns. Approaching the leading junior racer, Trail decided the guy didn't deserve to be handed the lead in the junior category and sat up, which seems fair enough to me. Nothing is different to the actual case, except that sexism is no longer a factor. If Trail were to act differently when it's a woman, albeit in jest, it would be taking advantage of the fact the other athlete is female.

I find it astonishing you would try and justify sexual harrassment like that.... bearing in mind that the original comment was in pink so while I found the remark inappropriate, I assume RandMart wouldn't actually condone doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Slug wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
trail wrote:

#nogiftsgiven

Win/win/win.

4X Win.

Sorry, I don't follow that line of thinking at all.
Seems childish, petty and misogynistic to me.

What if she had been, say, a junior male racer for example. He'd sat in with a stronger group of men and taken no turns. Approaching the leading junior racer, Trail decided the guy didn't deserve to be handed the lead in the junior category and sat up, which seems fair enough to me. Nothing is different to the actual case, except that sexism is no longer a factor. If Trail were to act differently when it's a woman, albeit in jest, it would be taking advantage of the fact the other athlete is female.

I find it astonishing you would try and justify sexual harrassment like that.... bearing in mind that the original comment was in pink so while I found the remark inappropriate, I assume RandMart wouldn't actually condone doing it.
That's why I wrote "fair enough." Don't take any of this so seriously though. He wrote it in pink and while mine wasn't in pink, it was just joking. Nice try though, but I am not justifying sexual harassment. Take a chill pill.

Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're both right; I didn't think that comment through well enough, even with the pink

And of course I wouldn't actually say or do such a thing IRL

I apologize on all accounts

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Etiquette [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
You're both right; I didn't think that comment through well enough, even with the pink

And of course I wouldn't actually say or do such a thing IRL

I apologize on all accounts
Fair enough. All is well once more...
Quote Reply

Prev Next