Re: EDIT: My MG Midget 1500 Restoration Project [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great! Keep up the good work!

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Finished the interior. The door kinda sucked. I removed the panels. There is a piece of trim at the top of each door. It is metal with hidden nuts. You have to reach inside the door and fish around to find them. Then, peeled off the old leather. Removed all the rust with the Dremel. Cut the leather using the old piece as a template and replaced. The adhesive spray has to sit for 5 minutes before application. So, I had to spray the underside edge, wait, affix, hold, dry. Then spray the main area, wait, affix, hold, dry. Then do it again on the other side under-edge.

I removed all the screws and, for the visible screws, used the Dremel to polish them.

Replaced all the seals - window, door, boot, windshield. Replaced the visors.

I initially installed the seats and then could not get them to move. For some reason, they would not slide on the rails. Finally figured out the new rails had sharp edges that were getting wedged in the track. So, I removed the seats and pulled out the rails again. Used the Dremel with a metal shaver to cut them down, then course sand, then fine sand, then polish. Finally worked.

So, she is put together, but, the taillights don't work. So, I pulled out the wire. Dammit ... I'll fix that this week, then decide whether to take on the exterior now or next season.

Very nice, you must have a lot of vacation.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: EDIT: My MG Midget 1500 Restoration Project [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

Very nice, you must have a lot of vacation.

Nights and weekends. I only took 2 vacation days. Weekends have been a bit ... occupied. Start around 9 and go to 6 or 7 without any breaks. I get a little ... fixated ... when I have a project!

But, I have no kids at home. Wifie has done an AMAZING job with the landscaping - MANY, many containers with flowers. So, our weekends have been with both of us outside all day long with me working on the car and her on the flowers, veggies, and small trees she has going on!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The electrical issue is fixed! It was just a couple fuses. Thanks to my new buddies at MG Limited in Greenfield, WI, for the assist. Everything on the dash is working again, as are the brake lights and the turn signals. So, she is running great!

Now have to decide whether to start on the interior or just drive her for a bit.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
The electrical issue is fixed! It was just a couple fuses. Thanks to my new buddies at MG Limited in Greenfield, WI, for the assist. Everything on the dash is working again, as are the brake lights and the turn signals. So, she is running great!

Now have to decide whether to start on the interior or just drive her for a bit.

is this really a question? there will be 2 feet of snow on the ground in a month.
Quote Reply
Re: EDIT: My MG Midget 1500 Restoration Project [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
JSA wrote:

is this really a question? there will be 2 feet of snow on the ground in a month.

Ha! I really wish I had a proper garage. This would be the perfect snowed-in project over the winter. But, your head's where my head's at. I don't think I have much more time to drive her, so, drive her now, while I can.

NOTE: I said "interior," but, obviously, I meant "exterior."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
JSA wrote:

Ha! I really wish I had a proper garage. This would be the perfect snowed-in project over the winter. But, your head's where my head's at. I don't think I have much more time to drive her, so, drive her now, while I can.

What's a proper garage?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: EDIT: My MG Midget 1500 Restoration Project [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
JSA wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
JSA wrote:

What's a proper garage?

A work garage with enough room to put in a paint stall. Ours is a typical 2 stall, detached, with a bit of room up front for the snowblower, lawnmower, etc. It remains full of 2 cars, a snowblower, lawnmower, etc. all winter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
jmh wrote:
JSA wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
JSA wrote:

What's a proper garage?

A work garage with enough room to put in a paint stall. Ours is a typical 2 stall, detached, with a bit of room up front for the snowblower, lawnmower, etc. It remains full of 2 cars, a snowblower, lawnmower, etc. all winter.

You should be able to find a local place that will rent their booth (if you are dead set on painting it yourself) or even get creative with a rented (heated) space.

Where to you currently plan on keeping the MG this winter if it isn't in your garage?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

You should be able to find a local place that will rent their booth (if you are dead set on painting it yourself) or even get creative with a rented (heated) space.

Where to you currently plan on keeping the MG this winter if it isn't in your garage?

I have indoor storage at a storage rental place for my 89 Vette that I am selling. So, it will go in its place.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
jmh wrote:

I have indoor storage at a storage rental place for my 89 Vette that I am selling. So, it will go in its place.

Good plan. I hope you find a good home for your Corvette owner required jorts, New Balance and gold chains too.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
JSA wrote:
jmh wrote:

Good plan. I hope you find a good home for your Corvette owner required jorts, New Balance and gold chains too.

You forgot the old-man baseball cap that looks like a trucker cap, but, isn't ironically hip like a trucker cap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
jmh wrote:
JSA wrote:
jmh wrote:

You forgot the old-man baseball cap that looks like a trucker cap, but, isn't ironically hip like a trucker cap.

Are you doing this project to just turn the car around or do you plan on keeping it a while. Incidentally, it looks really good.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: EDIT: My MG Midget 1500 Restoration Project [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep it. It’s a very fun car. Not worth much money. Has been a labor of love.

That said, I may get the itch to try another restore project on an MGB. But that would be well down the road.

Quote Reply

Prev Next