Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joe Skipper 12 hours
Quote | Reply
Haven’t seen this posted yet...

Joe Skipper set a new (to be confirmed) competition record in the Breckland 12 hr TT yesterday. Looks to be just over 325 miles, at a staggering 27 mph average!

What would Lionel do? :-)

Instagram: @hallidaydavidf
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [DFH84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.
He smashed the record last year despite taking a wrong turn at one point.
His power on the bike is amazing. Had the pleasure of training "alongside"/"way behind" him for a month previously. A machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFH84 wrote:

Probably 20-30k less than Wurf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't really wrap my head around an avg speed of 27 mph. insanity!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this event yesterday.

Joe was smooth and strong, he looks a lot better and more aero on the bike these days, he used to be a bit ‘Lionel’ relying on brute power.

Put nearly 20 miles on the field, which included some of our top amateur long distance time triallers, and over 4 miles onto the National record. A remarkable ride.

He was busted up after, spoke of it as ‘brutal - never again’.....and certainly no run after 😀.

For the record I did around 265 miles, so only 60 odd miles back.

A fun day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFH84 wrote:

Joe Skipper set a new (to be confirmed) competition record in the Breckland 12 hr TT yesterday. Looks to be just over 325 miles, at a staggering 27 mph average!

This is absolutely incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFH84 wrote:

I look forward to his YouTube race report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw a photo on his 'gram feed, peak 1hr of 298watts!! That's just rude!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at his Revolver wheel set. Tri spoke front looks really good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PTO posted some more data from Joe's ride.

That's a lot of calories...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue how the longer TT's work, but are there aid stations? Do you provide your own support crew/aid station in the current covid situation? I'd guess he'd have to be taking in calories during that whole ride - maybe 300 or so an hour. That's damn impressive!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I have no clue how the longer TT's work, but are there aid stations? Do you provide your own support crew/aid station in the current covid situation? I'd guess he'd have to be taking in calories during that whole ride - maybe 300 or so an hour. That's damn impressive!

There aren't aid stations as such, but you are allowed a support crew to hand up nutrition. Depending on the event, there can be a station that you can leave/or send bottles etc to, which may or may not manage to hand-up. For this event, given COVID restrictions, it looks like you were allowed to put bottles in a box that was then transferred to a special needs type station on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

I believe that riders bring their own support team to provide bottles etc but there is also an area where riders with no support crew can leave bottles/kit. There is a series of videos by Chris Hall on the 24 hour event, the first of the videos is here:

I only do shorter races but there is lots of additional measures in place at TTs due to Covid designed to minimise contact/interaction. At the events I have entered they have worked well and riders have obeyed them. The only downside is that the traditional tea and cake at the end has been cancelled... for obvious reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like its now expired since it was on his instagram story, but you should have seen the amount of food/gels/nutrition he had planned out! I'd say at least 300-400 calories per hour though, Joe is a fairly big guy (and pushing 290 W for 12 hours must burn through calories like crazy)
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a not-insignificant amount of elevation gain to average 27mph over, either!

Flipping 'eck, it is hard for us regular hobby plodders to get our heads around this speed and power for that amount of time. And the TSS...!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Joe's nutrition/prep for the Breckland 12 Hour TT
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brill video, thanks for posting. Love it! The man is a freak. And to get the record after going without drinks for 50 minutes and the resulting low points, quite amazing to keep going at those watts.

For those who haven't experienced the UK "Testing" scene, yes it is this low-key. No fanfare whatsoever - a nice lady with a bit of paper and a stopwatch at the start, a few folks scattered around the course on camping chairs, handups from the back of your mates' car in a lay-by, and a village hall with a buffet and a pot of tea for the finish line "expo".
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did a 15:08 5k before this race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ9H6tiO2qk
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
He did a 15:08 5k before this race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ9H6tiO2qk

pretty impressive

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oakie wrote:
I just saw a photo on his 'gram feed, peak 1hr of 298watts!! That's just rude!

If he was on ST his peak one hour would at least be 301W or he'd be laughed out of this place!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very, very impressive performance.

Does anyone know if he’s swimming during this time? If uk pools are closed, etc.

If he can elevate in the water to go back of front pack or frontish second in kona you’d think this would have more impact on his success there.

Regardless, this performance is a bit mind blowing.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 12 hours [Schrute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schrute wrote:
A very, very impressive performance.

Does anyone know if he’s swimming during this time? If uk pools are closed, etc.

If he can elevate in the water to go back of front pack or frontish second in kona you’d think this would have more impact on his success there.

Regardless, this performance is a bit mind blowing.

I think he got an endless pool fairly recently so has not been at as much of a disadvantage as many athletes have been.
Quote Reply