Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: China to Enter Japanese Territorial Waters on August 16th, Japan Mobilizes Self Defense Forces and Coast Guard [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The PRC is doing what they always do. They try something or say something, and then sit back and gauge international response. If they like what they see, they maybe inch forward just a bit and reassess. This isn't new. They do it quietly, and control communications out of the country to delay international awareness of what they're doing, trying to get to the point where it's a fait accompli.

To that end I support something like Hawley's recent bill regarding Taiwan (basically made an invasion of Taiwan a defacto declaration of war). The U.S. should pass a similar bill regarding the Senkakus, declaring war on China and aiding Japan. Draw a big, bright red line and let China know it's there.
Quote Reply
Re: China to Enter Japanese Territorial Waters on August 16th, Japan Mobilizes Self Defense Forces and Coast Guard [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Quote:
The PRC is doing what they always do. They try something or say something, and then sit back and gauge international response. If they like what they see, they maybe inch forward just a bit and reassess. This isn't new. They do it quietly, and control communications out of the country to delay international awareness of what they're doing, trying to get to the point where it's a fait accompli.

To that end I support something like Hawley's recent bill regarding Taiwan (basically made an invasion of Taiwan a defacto declaration of war). The U.S. should pass a similar bill regarding the Senkakus, declaring war on China and aiding Japan. Draw a big, bright red line and let China know it's there.

We already have a mutual security treaty with Japan, and we've stated a couple times that the Senkakus fall under that treaty and that we are obliged to defend them. Not sure we need another law.

Not to mention, the Taiwan Defense Act does not make invasion of Taiwan an act of war. It requires us to maintain the ability to prevent China from accomplishing fait accompli on Taiwan, but it doesn't obligate us to use that capability.

I would say it's typically bad form to make a law that would put you in a state of war against a country on behalf of a third party without the consent and involvement of that third party. It's part of why we generally do treaties instead of stand-alone laws.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: China to Enter Japanese Territorial Waters on August 16th, Japan Mobilizes Self Defense Forces and Coast Guard [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Chinese have made no secret of their aspirations in terms of global go-political power

Belt and Road is astonishing in terms of scale and its a 20-40 year initiative

Look at all the fights they are picking in addition to it; Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and India.........

The real question is whether the US (as its not going to be anyone else) is really willing to draw a line somewhere.

Or whether, we will keep simply saying "stop, you can't do that or I'll shout stop again"

At the moment, I don't think the Chinese believe there are any consequences......
Quote Reply
Re: China to Enter Japanese Territorial Waters on August 16th, Japan Mobilizes Self Defense Forces and Coast Guard [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think covid has shown how reliant the US and west in general are on China.

If the US draws a big red line with China, and they cross it, what happens to all the goods coming in from China? What happens to Walmart? Where does the US get most of it's medicine and medical supplies from?

They make everything. They have the west by the balls.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next