Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition
Quote | Reply
I love the gum wall look on tires. I know the GP5000 is a great tire. I’m just wondering if anyone has run the Schwalbe Pro One TT the Sebastian road at Kona last year. They have pretty good reviews. Has anyone here tired them?
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have better rolling resistance, are much lighter the tubeless GP5000 and they’re very aero too.

After Canyon specced them on their high end road bike (and I chatted to a journalist who’d spent an entire training camp in Majorca on the Pro One TTs with no punctures) I put a pair of them on a light hillclimb road bike build that I use in nice weather. I’m very impressed with their resilience - I have them set up tubeless and no issues at all so far.

I have a Pro One TT tyre on one of my spare race wheels: in a situation where I might not want to run a Corsa Speed, but maybe don’t want to go all the way to using a GP5000 (which is a few watts slower per wheel compared with a Corsa Speed), the Pro One TT is a great option to split the difference between the two.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gum wall every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know all of that.

Quick question. In the Kona Top 15 Bike Gear 2019 the Continental is run by half the guys on that list. Why aren’t more people using the Corsa Speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! I ordered the Schwalbe Pro One TT’s. They will look good on the new Speed Concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:

Quick question. In the Kona Top 15 Bike Gear 2019 the Continental is run by half the guys on that list. Why aren’t more people using the Corsa Speed?

Puncture resistance. Conti's are known to be better for that, yet still pretty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
TrekGeek wrote:

Puncture resistance. Conti's are known to be better for that, yet still pretty fast.

I feel so stupid not using Continental 4000 and 5000 early enough. I switched to 5000 clincher tires recently and they ride like butter. So smooth and comfortable. Traction is incredible so I’m still on aero bars when I turn. Most of all, my legs are not as tired as before after the ride. It was the best decision I’ve made recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
Vittoria didn't sponsor half the guys? Half the guys didn't want to take a chance getting a puncture?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
I love the gum wall look on tires. I know the GP5000 is a great tire. I’m just wondering if anyone has run the Schwalbe Pro One TT the Sebastian road at Kona last year. They have pretty good reviews. Has anyone here tired them?

I'm tossing up between getting the Pro One TTs or the GP5000's

Any updates on the Scwalbes? Puncture resistance OK?
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is n+1

I had them, ran them 29km (tubeless), flatted. Went back to continental 5000 TL. 2800km since then and I'm not going to ruin my luck by saying anything about it .... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
This is n+1

I had them, ran them 29km (tubeless), flatted. Went back to continental 5000 TL. 2800km since then and I'm not going to ruin my luck by saying anything about it .... :)

Hmmm that was kind of my concern. Thanks for your feedback
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Darren325 wrote:
This is n+1

Hmmm that was kind of my concern. Thanks for your feedback
With all due respect; one guy having a puncture on first use and never trying them again is not useful feedback that should factor into this IMO. It tells you essentially nothing. Xavier's information is infinitely more useful and significant. I have no opinion on the tyres either way. I currently use GP5000, but Darren's input would not influence me either way. It's simply irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
They have better rolling resistance, are much lighter the tubeless GP5000 and they’re very aero too.

After Canyon specced them on their high end road bike (and I chatted to a journalist who’d spent an entire training camp in Majorca on the Pro One TTs with no punctures) I put a pair of them on a light hillclimb road bike build that I use in nice weather. I’m very impressed with their resilience - I have them set up tubeless and no issues at all so far.

I have a Pro One TT tyre on one of my spare race wheels: in a situation where I might not want to run a Corsa Speed, but maybe don’t want to go all the way to using a GP5000 (which is a few watts slower per wheel compared with a Corsa Speed), the Pro One TT is a great option to split the difference between the two.

Any updated thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode GP4k/5k on most of my bikes for thousands of miles and punctured once in three years. I put Pro One TTs on my race wheels because skin walls and punctured immdiately during my first race. n=1 and all, but they feel much less substantial that the contis. Makes them very comfy and gives a smooth ride, but doesn't inspire confidence in fast corners. On a TT race set up probably okay, but I'd recommend running them tubeless with plenty of sealant and a few PSI extra to begin with to avoid most catastrophes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the Pro One TT? I use them on a road aero bike now too for all my riding on it (including racing), as well as that lightweight road bike. Have used them with tubeless, Schwalbe Aerothans and latex tubes, I think I prefer tubes - the only thing is getting them to seat which can be a bit annoying and is a bit easier with tubes.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Schwalbe Ones that I got when I tried to buy a set off Conti 5000’s. Bike shop only had 2 new tires left in the Conti and couldn’t get the tire to seal so asked if I’d take the Schwalbes instead. They were a little cheaper and I wanted them right away so I took them. Though I’ve had a couple of small holes, they’ve sealed immediately and I’ve put about 800 miles on them, no other issues. Only the rear got the flats and it holds the air pressure less time than the front but no issues on long rides up to 80 miles. Pretty happy with them and will buy them again but probably 28’s. These are 25C and I run the front at 84psi and the back at 90psi.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to use Conti 4000S, switched to Schwalbe One and have not looked back.
Smoother ride and more durable.
Use them on my road bike and tandem.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To last two posters: You seem to be talking about Pro One, *not* Pro One TT. Those are quite different tyres.

I also flatted on the front Pro One TT when rolling home after 2nd or 3rd TT on them. Team mate flatted the rear in nationals TT last year, which I think was his 3rd TT on them. A friend of mine bought them for training and had a lot of flats, so changed back to GP5000 (and got rid of the punctures). A UK road racer and TT'er I know has had good luck with them in UK TT's and road races, but when he was here earlier in the year for a few road races he also flatted at least once, maybe even twice I think (and I've been running GP5000 in all road races here this year, including the ones he did, without a flat so far). So it sounds like the reason we flat here (mostly flints) might not be something the Pro One TT is good at dealing with, while whatever the reason people flat in UK is, it's much better at handling.

Adding in how hard the Pro One TT is to get to seat I've pretty much stopped using them. Several other tyres out there as fast, easier to deal with, and less puncture prone (here in Denmark at least).
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
This is n+1

N=1 for anecdata.

N+1 is the “how many bikes should I own?” formula.

🤪
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a penalty for running the Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 or Schwalbe Pro One TT with latex tubes vs using sealant? I figure the weight would be equal but would that not be appropriate using tubes since they were designed for tubeless? Just wondering because I can't get the Corsa Speeds to seat on the rim so I have the Pro Ones coming in mail soon. Obviously I can get the beads to seat on rim with a tube so I thought I'd ask for thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't use the TT version then.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem at all using latex tubes in tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [DeLuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeLuz wrote:
Don't use the TT version then.

Go slow then... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe Pro One TT or Continental GP 5000 Limited Edition [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anecdotes: I've had exceptional luck with GP5000 in terms of flats. They feel very fast and ride nicely. I know a friend running tubed Pro Ones who had 4 flats in one day. To be fair, he's switched to the tubeless version and no flats so far.

Data: According to Bicycle Rolling Resistance, the GP5000 is faster than the Pro One and has better puncture resistance. As for Corsa Speed vs. Pro One TT, the same delta holds true, though the speed difference is negligible. (Personally, I only use the Corsa Speeds for occasional TTs, not for important tris or general riding.)

I know Schwalbe makes nice tires but the recent upsurge in their tires among my riding partners seems to be driven by a local bike shop pitching something different rather than any real compelling reason. But I suppose I could be wrong...
Quote Reply