Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indoor rowing instead of swimming? [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The C2 skierg is really to train the double-pole action of classic skiing. If you get after it with proper technique, your hamstrings and calves will be burning on hard efforts.

You’re seeing now on flatter/faster XC ski courses that people are mostly double polling most of the race. I last did the Korteloppet in 2018 and I double polled nearly the whole thing. It’s a net downhill course. I only kicked uphill, otherwise I was double polling. Thank you swimming for the upper body muscular endurance. Took 30 mins or so off my time and got 4th in my age group. Partly technique, partly fitness (I’m an adult-onset Nordic skier, which is about as tough or tougher than AOS IMHO).

If you need to train your legs for Nordic, go hill bounding, run with a weight vest, ride or row. Most people are skating now, so they need the skierg to train upper body. I suppose swimming would also work as cross training. Plenty of successful Nordic athletes that started as swimmers.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing instead of swimming? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Realizing as I’m erging more and working on my technique that if you execute the catch properly, it will engage your lower lats and then arms in a way similar to swimming.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing instead of swimming? [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that suspension band training helped me. Nossk, TRX, etc.

Dr Jay
http://www.Tri-Pod.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
The C2 skierg is really to train the double-pole action of classic skiing. If you get after it with proper technique, your hamstrings and calves will be burning on hard efforts.

You’re seeing now on flatter/faster XC ski courses that people are mostly double polling most of the race. I last did the Korteloppet in 2018 and I double polled nearly the whole thing. It’s a net downhill course. I only kicked uphill, otherwise I was double polling. Thank you swimming for the upper body muscular endurance. Took 30 mins or so off my time and got 4th in my age group. Partly technique, partly fitness (I’m an adult-onset Nordic skier, which is about as tough or tougher than AOS IMHO).

If you need to train your legs for Nordic, go hill bounding, run with a weight vest, ride or row. Most people are skating now, so they need the skierg to train upper body. I suppose swimming would also work as cross training. Plenty of successful Nordic athletes that started as swimmers.

I’m sure that what you a proposing is an intense workout, but how well does it simulate the leg action of XC skiing?

Here is another machine that seems more realistic:
https://motiofy.com/en/
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing instead of swimming? [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dreadnought wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

I’m sure that what you a proposing is an intense workout, but how well does it simulate the leg action of XC skiing?

Here is another machine that seems more realistic:
https://motiofy.com/en/

Well enough for the 4000 euro price difference between the SkiErg and that thing. You won't simulate the stride on the SkiErg, but again, realistically, it's for double polling. In that sense, it simulates the legs quite well with using the right technique.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Someone send me a skierg please...I want one for swim cross training so badly. I enjoy it so much more than the VASA trainer.

The gym I go to got one of these and I really like it. I agree it’s so much better Swim cross training workout then rowing.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next