Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling shoe options and orthotics.
Quote | Reply
Like many bike riders, I find that things work really well for a long time and then suddenly they don't. A brief history of my bike shoes over the last 12 years.

1. Neutral shoes with superfeet insoles and a bit of cleat wedging plus a shim under one leg--worked for a while but MTB was hard to replicate so I ditched the shims.

2. Bont cycling shoes with a heat-moldable insole--achilles irritation.

3. Specialized road and MTB shoes with the built-in varus tilt and Specialized insoles for high arches.

4. Steve Hogg fitment with heel and cleat insert plus high arch support plus cleat wedging. Was a fiasco.

4. S-works 6 and Cobra 9 custom orthotics and one extra varus insert under left forefoot.

5. S-works 7 road and MTB shoes with above in-shoe stuff--experiencing significant numbness in toes.

6. Shimano Sphyre with Cobra 9 inserts and left forefoot varus insert. Just started but a bit of ITB grief that I pout down to lack of Varus tilt. Still gets a bit numb and the Shimano shoes are wider.

I'm wondering if the aggressive arch support and stiffness of the Cobra 9 insoles is causing foot numbness. So no I'm wondering if I should ditch the idea of varus tilt and custom orthotics and simply try an off-the-shelf solution. I've done that with running and been fine. I can definitely feel my knees tracking closer to the top-tube when I don't use Specialized shoes, but wondering if this can be remedied by working on glute medius strength.

Sorry of the long-winded question, but wondering if anyone else has a similar story.

p.s. I remember rroof mnetioning years ago that the subtalar joint can compensate for cleat wedging.

p.p.s. When I read on the indoor trainer (kickr bike) my knees tracking much straighter than on the road bike--no matter what shoes I'm wearing.
Last edited by: alexZA: Aug 6, 20 20:44
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe options and orthotics. [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexZA wrote:
...p.p.s. When I read on the indoor trainer (kickr bike) my knees tracking much straighter than on the road bike--no matter what shoes I'm wearing.
And what's the difference between the two? Stance width?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe options and orthotics. [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexZA wrote:
p.p.s. When I read on the indoor trainer (kickr bike) my knees tracking much straighter than on the road bike--no matter what shoes I'm wearing.

Uh, yeah, that would kind of indicate that you don't need anything special in terms of wedging, etc, that you just need to duplicate the pedal/cleat (and maybe saddle) position from your kickr bike.
Quote Reply