Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely interested. Local tris are the gateway into the sport (for many people at least). I love doing the local tris. Super easy logistically, great to see same people over and over again, and I love being able to be home from the race by lunch time and still have time to go about my day, etc.

Don't get me wrong, traveling for destination races is also absolutely fun. But I think local races are (or should be) the bread and butter of triathlon. Just my 2¢.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also thinking some pool tris would be possible where you swim in the pool (spaced), then there is a gap and everyone changes and rides to the start line of the bike leg, and we leave in TT format. Ideally there is a field beside start of the bike leg where we leave our running shoes. TT bike gets timed, transition is timed, and you go do the run from there. This eliminates the entire problem of road closures from water and getting to open bike course. It would only work for sprint tri, sub 100 person event, but still doable.

We have one local race where there is a bike path from T1 to bike start. The entire bike path leg is untimed until you get onto the closed road, then you finish the 40km bike (4x5km out and back), and you take your sweet time on the bike path getting to T2. Clock starts as soon as you enter T2.

Once the events become smaller it opens up all types of logistics options!!!
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will always do all the local races here in Phoenix. ALWAYS. I first need to feel safe, not just for me, but for all the others I come into contact with.

My thought is to just have Strava segment challenges as races. You get a month and as many attempts as you want. Pick a few well traveled roads that most already ride and run. That way you can still "RACE" but you also can be safe about it.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Except I just registered for the BC Bike Race next July. But other than that, local is fine with me. Mostly what I do anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I will always do all the local races here in Phoenix. ALWAYS. I first need to feel safe, not just for me, but for all the others I come into contact with.

My thought is to just have Strava segment challenges as races. You get a month and as many attempts as you want. Pick a few well traveled roads that most already ride and run. That way you can still "RACE" but you also can be safe about it.

I think the Strava segments etc are a nice stop gap, but we lose the "everyone doing the same thing at roughly the same time" feeling of excitement. The Mdot or national caliber events provide this additional layer of excitement, but can we get them from the local event. I personally can, but are there enough of us to make the local races viable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing I enjoy more in triathlon than a local oly

Long course gets tough to properly support for the small operators but I’d love to see more small time olympics on the menu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If by local, you mean smaller sprints/Olympics yes. If by local, you mean in my neighborhood - no, we don't have any,

FWIW - I've traveled internationally to race small sprints/Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depend what you call "local". For me "local" means waking up in my bed the morning of the race ;)

We all love our local races... the only thing is that over here the local tri season is only 3 months long (if that)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. Although if that's the situation, I might stick with just running until we get back to normal.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I love our local race series in Madison and I have been spoiled to have an IM and IM70.3 in my backyard. I'm good.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
Depend what you call "local". For me "local" means waking up in my bed the morning of the race ;)

We all love our local races... the only thing is that over here the local tri season is only 3 months long (if that)

My personal definition of local is sleeping in my bed and either riding to or driving to the race on the morning of the event. Or minimally, I may get a hotel near the race, but I have to be able to drive home by dinner after the race (meaning no 8 hrs drive....4 hrs max).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My rule of thumb is that travel to the race can't take longer than the race itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be glad to do only local/smaller races for the next few years (or, until whenever). I did that last year and had a blast -- race more instead of focusing on being ready for a bigger race, home after with the rest of the day to do whatever, less bad music/commentating blaring on a pa system, and a more relaxed crowd with all sorts of people participating.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
less bad music/commentating blaring on a pa system,.......

I get pumped every time I hear Eye of the Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year I have put on 3 sprint distance duathlons with good local participation and the fourth race is coming up in October.
I actually prefer local smaller races. Less hassle, cheaper and closer to home.
Quote Reply

Prev Next