Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why is it worse when biden says "you arnt black if you vote for trump" vs. trump: "anybody religious, but certainly catholic, you have to be with trump." [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
That does not imply that the groups don’t overlap.

“Why don’t blacks people get sunburned? And why do Christians read bibles?”

“Because black people have dark skin. Christians OTOH have a book with all of their information in it.”

Do you not see how that doesn’t imply that the two groups don’t overlap?

And if my explanation isn’t clear for you, no, I’m not going to spend pages debating whether or not I was aware that there are black Christians. That’s an absurd argument that’s a waste of everyone’s time.

this is such a dishonest rendering of your use of OTOH. Compare

From post #29

A couple of reasons.

1) The phrase was "you aren't black," and I don't think black folk like being told by an old white guy what it means to be black.

2) It's the idea that their vote is expected and doesn't need to be earned. They feel like they are taken for granted.

Christians, on the other hand, are all about worshiping leaders and being told what to do and how to think. So when Trump says, "this is what you should do and how you should think," they don't get offended at the idea. They simply either say, "Hey, that's my guy, or that's not my guy."

From post #100 (see quoted above)

Observational note: In Post #100 (quoted above), you include 2 non-sequitur statements and force an obviously unnatural and out of place insertion of "OTOH"; whereas, in Post #29, each proposition contains "being told", as in "black folk being told by ..." and "Christians ... being told what to do", and you naturally link and distinguish the two "being told" statements with OTOH.

I wonder whether you even believe your own stuff since you defend it so clumsily. I'll reiterate my earlier request: Go talk to real people, and not just usernames. By doing so, it will naturally create more accountability in your interactions since other people with on-the-spot pick up on your "stuff" and call you on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it worse when biden says "you arnt black if you vote for trump" vs. trump: "anybody religious, but certainly catholic, you have to be with trump." [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

“Because black people have dark skin. Christians OTOH have a book with all of their information in it.”

And if my explanation isn’t clear for you, no, I’m not going to spend pages debating whether or not I was aware that there are black Christians. That’s an absurd argument that’s a waste of everyone’s time.

Well, I have to hand it to you. That's some high quality grade A bullshit, right there. You're sailing away with sole ownership of the LR Gaslighting trophy.

This was NOT an example of two unrelated statements about blacks and Christians. This was a direct comparison of why blacks might react to a politician's statement one way as opposed to how Christians would react to a similar type of statement. You specifically made the argument that blacks would react one way as a group, but "on the other hand" Christians would react differently as a group, and attempted to lay out reasons why the mentality of those two groups would result in different reactions.

I have no doubt that you know that lots of blacks are Christians. I think you just didn't care, because you were cruising towards being able to get a dig in on Christians by not so subtly implying that they're weak willed and easily influenced. Again, because you just can't really pass up an opportunity to shit on Christians.

As I suggested before, people would respect you more if you just owned it instead of this ridiculous flailing attempt to rewrite your own history. You've tried this before, and you looked just as ridiculous then as you do now.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it worse when biden says "you arnt black if you vote for trump" vs. trump: "anybody religious, but certainly catholic, you have to be with trump." [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
BarryP wrote:

this is such a dishonest rendering of your use of OTOH. Compare

From post #29

A couple of reasons.

1) The phrase was "you aren't black," and I don't think black folk like being told by an old white guy what it means to be black.

2) It's the idea that their vote is expected and doesn't need to be earned. They feel like they are taken for granted.

Christians, on the other hand, are all about worshiping leaders and being told what to do and how to think. So when Trump says, "this is what you should do and how you should think," they don't get offended at the idea. They simply either say, "Hey, that's my guy, or that's not my guy."

From post #100 (see quoted above)

Observational note: In Post #100 (quoted above), you include 2 non-sequitur statements and force an obviously unnatural and out of place insertion of "OTOH"; whereas, in Post #29, each proposition contains "being told", as in "black folk being told by ..." and "Christians ... being told what to do", and you naturally link and distinguish the two "being told" statements with OTOH.

I wonder whether you even believe your own stuff since you defend it so clumsily. I'll reiterate my earlier request: Go talk to real people, and not just usernames. By doing so, it will naturally create more accountability in your interactions since other people with on-the-spot pick up on your "stuff" and call you on it.

What is the more reasonable answer?

1) At 47 years old, living in the Philadelphia area, and having gone to integrated schools in Delaware, I was so oblivious that I didn't know that most blacks are Christian?

OR

2) I was responding to each point in the OP. The first point was regarding blacks reaction to Biden's quote. The second was referencing Christian's reaction (or lack there of) to Trump's quote?

This is an all too common straw man tactic that you guys like to use on this forum. Not only is 2) extremely more reasonable than 1), it's also the very position that I'm telling you that I hold.

How sad is it that you and slowguy have to invent some absurd narrative that's not remotely realistic just so that you can win an argument with some random guy on the internet?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it worse when biden says "you arnt black if you vote for trump" vs. trump: "anybody religious, but certainly catholic, you have to be with trump." [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Well, I have to hand it to you. That's some high quality grade A bullshit, right there. You're sailing away with sole ownership of the LR Gaslighting trophy.

This was NOT an example of two unrelated statements about blacks and Christians. This was a direct comparison of why blacks might react to a politician's statement one way as opposed to how Christians would react to a similar type of statement. You specifically made the argument that blacks would react one way as a group, but "on the other hand" Christians would react differently as a group, and attempted to lay out reasons why the mentality of those two groups would result in different reactions.

I have no doubt that you know that lots of blacks are Christians. I think you just didn't care, because you were cruising towards being able to get a dig in on Christians by not so subtly implying that they're weak willed and easily influenced. Again, because you just can't really pass up an opportunity to shit on Christians.

As I suggested before, people would respect you more if you just owned it instead of this ridiculous flailing attempt to rewrite your own history. You've tried this before, and you looked just as ridiculous then as you do now.

Since you two have resorted semantics on the way my post was worded, and insist on telling me that I meant something that no sane person would actually mean, I'm just going to claim victory right now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Since you two have resorted semantics on the way my post was worded, and insist on telling me that I meant something that no sane person would actually mean, I'm just going to claim victory right now.

I’m shocked,..shocked, I tell you, that you would say something stupid, spend a bunch of posts claiming you never said that, and then claim victory for no discernible reason. It’s almost as if you’ve practiced this routine dozens of times previously.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Why is it worse when biden says "you arnt black if you vote for trump" vs. trump: "anybody religious, but certainly catholic, you have to be with trump." [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember way back when I said there's a personality type that drives people toward religion? Yeah, this is an example of it. You need to defend your beliefs so badly that you are literally digging your heals in on the idea that I didn't know that most black people were Christians.

Something you cared about so much that it took you until post #94 to mention it.

Have you ever stopped to think for a second that maybe you're the asshole?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Remember way back when I said there's a personality type that drives people toward religion? Yeah, this is an example of it. You need to defend your beliefs so badly that you are literally digging your heals in on the idea that I didn't know that most black people were Christians.

Something you cared about so much that it took you until post #94 to mention it.

Barry, take a break from gaslighting and read my previous post. I specifically stated that I am sure that you know that many blacks are Christians. I never said that you didn’t know that many blacks were Christian. I said that you dismissed that piece of reality because it was convenient on your way to making your shitty post about Christians.

You’re so full of shit, at this point it has to be leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Barry, take a break from gaslighting and read my previous post. I specifically stated that I am sure that you know that many blacks are Christians. I never said that you didn’t know that many blacks were Christian. I said that you dismissed that piece of reality because it was convenient on your way to making your shitty post about Christians.

You’re so full of shit, at this point it has to be leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

What does it even mean that I dismissed it? You do realize that not only can two different groups of people overlap, but they can also have different personality traits. Like a person can not want an old white guy to tell him how to be black AND be all about worship?

I am seriously wondering just how stupid you are.

Either you understand that the groups can overlap and that a person can have personality traits of each group, or you're a fucking idiot. If you're not a fucking idiot, then there's no reason to assume that I was implying that they were completely separate groups with distinctly different personality traits.

You do this shit all the time. You take something I write, you figure out the dumbest possible way to interpret it, and then using your usual circular logic, assume that I must be interpreting it that way and concluding that I'm either dumb, or pretending to be dumb, or however else you are going to spin it.

And FWIW, you and floyd keep harping on the phrase, "On the other hand." It's used as a fucking segway. "Regarding quote 1.....blah blah blah.....on the other hand regarding quote 2......."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What does it even mean that I dismissed it?

It means that you knew the facts, and knew that what you were saying was bullshit, but went ahead and said it anyways because you were desperate to get in a dig on Christians.

Quote:
If you're not a fucking idiot, then there's no reason to assume that I was implying that they were completely separate groups with distinctly different personality traits.

Dipshit, you are the one who set the two groups in opposition in your post, not me. You used the two groups as examples if differing mindsets, not me. Maybe you just need to read what you write before you hit the "post reply" button.

Quote:
You take something I write, you figure out the dumbest possible way to interpret it, and then using your usual circular logic, assume that I must be interpreting it that way and concluding that I'm either dumb, or pretending to be dumb, or however else you are going to spin it.

None of that has happened in this thread, Barry. I, along with several other people, correctly interpreted your post as a transparent and smug effort to imply that Christians are mindless simpletons. I don't think you're dumb or pretending to be dumb. I think you're a condescending douchebag who can't stop himself from shitting on religion and religious people, but who will subsequently stoop to basically any depth of dishonesty to deny that he ever made any kind of crappy statement. This isn't based on circular logic. It's based on plain reading of your posts over the past decade.

Quote:
And FWIW, you and floyd keep harping on the phrase, "On the other hand." It's used as a fucking segway. "Regarding quote 1.....blah blah blah.....on the other hand regarding quote 2......."

"On the other hand" is not a segue, nitwit, and it's not used that way by anyone with a brain. Now I have to wonder about your intelligence a bit. Do you also say "for all intensive purposes?" Type "on the other hand" into your Google machine, and see what comes up. It's a phrase that is "used to present factors that are in opposition to one another." In other words, it's used to contrast two things, exactly how you used it in your post to contrast how blacks would react vs how Christians would react.

This has to be the most pitiful attempt at a defense of your idiocy that you've offered in this thread.

Let's boil it down.

1. You saw an opportunity to crap on Christians.
2. You constructed a pretty weak "On the one hand,...on the other hand" argument to take advantage of that opportunity. The weakness of this argument is founded in your gross generalization of how blacks think, your gross generalization of how Christians think, and your nonsensical effort to contrast them against one another. (Note: this is where the part about black being Christians came in. Note 2: This was just a minor point, which you misread because you were in such a hurry to keep gaslighting your own posting history.)
3. You got called out by multiple people both for over-generalizing, and for taking cheap digs at religious people.
4. You set off on a ridiculous quest to deny what you plainly wrote.
5. You claimed "victory" for some reason unbeknownst to anyone but yourself.
6. Here we are, with you ramping up your tantrum.

As I mentioned, this is a pattern you have used countless times over the years. It's pretty pitiful.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really pretty lazy to try to lump in black Christianity and white Christianity together. It really dismisses a lot of important nuances at the convenience of trying to win an argument.

Next, there are pretty easily recognizable large Christian denominations in the US that......well........pretty much are mindless simpletons.

Sorry. But the whole cheap grace, name it and claim it, Evangelical prosperity theology bullshit is THE definition of mindless simpletons latching onto the easiest and most self-serving form of Christianity that flows directly into an easy, mindless, and self serving political choice.

That segment of Christians in the US, from my personal experience.........has been overwhelmingly white evangelical prosperity theology churches. Not black churches. No idea why. Is what it is.

But those same folks we know in those churches........almost always more likely to be the ones we have trouble with at holidays and on FB with conspiracy theories, Qanaon, Soros, forever Trumpers, dead baby abortion pictures, and lock-step voters accordingly.

I don't know what it is about the Evangelical prosperity theology mindset or folks that makes them more prone to fall for that shit, but it's a "thing".

All Christians are not mindless morons rubber stamping their votes and ideologies. No. But there is a MAJOR subset of American Christians that do act that way.

Shoot, Georgia just nominated another one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dipshit, you are the one who set the two groups in opposition in your post, not me.

I did NOT do that. YOU are interpreting it that way because YOU are an idiot.

Have you even considered what you are arguing? Since you aren't claiming that I was so stupid to think that there are no black Christians, yet I still set the two groups in oppositions. For what purpose? To trick you? How would that trick you? Are you really so stupid that I could fool YOU into thinking that there are no black Christians for 94 posts?

Was that my agenda the whole time?

Well come to think of it, it sounds like it almost worked. I take back everything I said and agree that, yes, I deliberately tried to convince you that there are no black Christians, and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddling Christians.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is it worse when biden says "you arnt black if you vote for trump" vs. trump: "anybody religious, but certainly catholic, you have to be with trump." [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's really pretty lazy to try to lump in black Christianity and white Christianity together. It really dismisses a lot of important nuances at the convenience of trying to win an argument.

It would be lazy if I had done that, but since I didn't, I guess I'm in the clear.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I did NOT do that. YOU are interpreting it that way because YOU are an idiot.

Your words speak for themselves. If you say "X, and on the other hand Y, "then you are contrasting X and Y. That's what those words mean. If you've been going around using "on the other hand" as a neutral segue your whole life, then I'm starting to feel bad for you. Lots of people must have been wondering why you don't understand how the English language works, while you strut around thinking you're super smart.

Quote:
Since you aren't claiming that I was so stupid to think that there are no black Christians, yet I still set the two groups in oppositions. For what purpose?

For the exact purpose I explicitly said you were trying to achieve in doing this. You wanted to shit on Christians (because you basically always want to shit on Christians) so you built yourself a flawed argument that allowed you the opportunity to shit on Christians.

Quote:
Are you really so stupid that I could fool YOU into thinking that there are no black Christians for 94 posts?

You really need to learn to read. You're starting to sound like a raving lunatic.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Your words speak for themselves. If you say "X, and on the other hand Y, "then you are contrasting X and Y. That's what those words mean. .......

Correct. And if you are an idiot, you think that X = blacks, Y = Christians

If you are intelligent, you understand that X = blacks reaction to the quote regarding blacks, Y = Christians reaction to the quote regarding Christians.

So since you've already agreed that I knew that most blacks are Christians, then you are left with:

A - You're an idiot

or

B - a reasonable person would think that you're an idiot and would try to slip that by you

Frankly, I'm okay with either A or B, but feel free to pick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Your words speak for themselves. If you say "X, and on the other hand Y, "then you are contrasting X and Y. That's what those words mean. .......

Correct. And if you are an idiot, you think that X = blacks, Y = Christians

If you are intelligent, you understand that X = blacks reaction to the quote regarding blacks, Y = Christians reaction to the quote regarding Christians.

So since you've already agreed that I knew that most blacks are Christians, then you are left with:

A - You're an idiot

or

B - a reasonable person would think that you're an idiot and would try to slip that by you

Frankly, I'm okay with either A or B, but feel free to pick.

It is fucking comical watching you try to scramble. Just a few posts ago you were adamantly arguing that "on the other hand" didn't mean you were making a contrast.

Everyone understands your post Barry. It wasn't overly complex or clever. We all understand that you were contrasting how blacks would react to a statement about blacks against how Christians would react to a statement about Christians. Believe me, there is no confusion here. This was not misunderstood or misinterpreted, despite your flailing attempts to keep up with the criticisms levied against you in this thread.

The problems with your original post were these:

1. You grossly generalized the mindsets of both blacks and Christians.
2. You created a smug, condescending, bitter characterization of Christians, partially due to your demonstrated lack of understanding of religion and Christians in general, and partially because of your gnawing desire to shit on Christians at any opportunity.
3. You attempted to contrast how blacks might react to a statement about blacks and politics with how Christians might react to a statement about Christians and politics. In doing so, you attempted to claim that blacks think one way and Christians think another, dismissing the fact that there is significant overlap between the two groups. (Notice I didn't say you didn't know there was overlap, or that you were trying to convince anyone there was no overlap - you just ignored that fact because it was convenient for your post)

The problems with all your subsequent posts were these:

1. As usual, you immediately backed away from what you said, engaged in a tantrum, cried about people misunderstanding/misinterpreting what you said, whined about what you said not being what you said, tried to gaslight the LR regarding what you said, tried to change the meaning of a well known and understood English phrase, reversed on your stance on that same phrase, claimed "victory" for some unknown reason, and generally made an ass of yourself all because you had to get a dig in on Christians and didn't like when you got called out for it by multiple posters.

I'm not wasting more time in this thread with you. Just like every other time you've pulled this childish act over the past several years, there's no convincing you that what you wrote is plain to see for everyone despite you apparently thinking you can just pretend it means anything other than the words on the screen.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We all understand that you were contrasting how blacks would react to a statement about blacks against how Christians would react to a statement about Christians.

Fantastic! I'm glad you finally figured it out.

Sow now you can see that there's nothing about that that presumes that blacks and Christians don't overlap.

I'm glad we got to the bottom of this.

Quote Reply

Prev Next