Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Italy Emilia-Romagna one week postponement
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Got an email from Ironman Italy a couple of days ago:

"Dear athlete,

We have been notified by the authorities that an election has been scheduled in the region of Cervia on the weekend of IRONMAN Italy Emilia-Romagna, IRONMAN 70.3 Italy Emilia-Romagna and 5150 Triathlon Series Cervia (September 19 & 20, 2020). These elections were postponed from their original date due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. By request of the authorities in coordination with the elections, IRONMAN Italy Emilia-Romagna will be postponed by one week from its original date of September 19 to its new date of September 26, 2020.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Italy Emilia-Romagna triathlon will have their race registration automatically moved to the new date. If you are unable to race on the new date, you may defer your entry to the 2021 event scheduled to take place on September 18, 2021."

So instead of cancelling, they are postponing the IM to one week later. It will probably get cancelled I think, but is this a certainty? Also, I'm definitely not racing this year as I have done minimal training. The reason I'm not simply deferring to 2021 is because I'm not sure I can make that date work. So I am asking myself whether it would be better to wait and let them cancel the new date, possibly giving me the possibility to defer to another 2021 race. What do you guys think?

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: IM Italy Emilia-Romagna one week postponement [jondavid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took the deferral to September 18, 2021; re-booked my hotel in Cervia and cancelled this year’s flight. It didn’t take me too long after I got that same email from Ironman either. All week, whenever I catch myself wondering or second guessing my decision to defer, I take a breath and reflect on the fact that there are much bigger things going on in the world today and many more people going through truly hard times. That helps me with perspective.

To your question if Ironman Italy will be cancelled for 2020, your guess is as good as anyone’s. However, I did read the Italian Triathlon Association’s latest guidance for racing for the balance of 2020; I did not see anything that would be holding Ironman back from putting on this race. For example, there is no limits specific to the number of participants as is the case here in BC. I continued my best to prepare for IM Italy throughout the summer with the idea that the race could happened based on that guidance.

The one of the “gotchas” for me was the requirement for quarantining for 14 days upon landing in Europe. It is a €1000 fine if you are caught outdoors during those 14 days. I’d want to run a little, bike a little and maybe get wet once or twice in the weeks leading up to an IM.
Quote Reply