Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
If you are talking about the Chula Vista Challenge, all the Koz Events races have been cancelled for 2020 and replaced with virtual events.

yes but next year CVC will likely be back, unlike superfrog/seal
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COVID killed races this year. Generational and economic conditions are killing future races.

Boomers are done, Gen X'ers are at the point of "I have done my IM, I'm good", Millennial's are not interested, and this sport is expensive.

I'm talking big picture, macro, generalities here so don't say...."I know this really fast millennial who races every year".................... unfortunately this sport is in decline and may price itself out of existence as far as the "Ironman" brand goes.

Not that far off.

Triathlon in North America in terms of overall participation numbers peaked somewhere in the 2012 - 2015 range. Since then it had been on a gradual the decline. Now in 2018 and 2019, some of my clients, did experience a slight increase in participation - like 1% in either standalone races or series.

Of course this year killed that!

Cycling - mass participation kind of events gran fondos etc has followed triathlon, having possibly peaked in the mid teens. Serious licensed and category racing has been in a moderate decline for about the same time frame. Cycling is harder to put a finger on because, many do ride, and ride seriously hard, long and fast, but NEVER pin a bib number on! There are many in my club like that! Super fit super fast guys - more interested seemingly in "winning" our Thursday night "world championships" ride!

Running has again followed a similar pattern but the growth extended a bit and the peak came a bit later, and overall numbers are still WAY bigger than cycling and triathlon. In the U.S., overall running race/event participation has been down about 1% to 2% in the last 3 - 4 years!

The big question is - what will happen whenever we get on the other side of the Covid-19 Crisis? Anecdotally - many are seeing way more people cycling and running in their neighborhoods. Bike sales are up 75% this year . . yes you read that right. But these are mostly bikes in the $500 range. Still, it's always a good thing to see more people, running or cycling or doing whatever. How many of these new people, will come out to a traditional running, cycling or triathlon race/event when we are on the other side of Covid-19?

As for IRONMAN and other big mass participation races and events - working in the business, as I do, I can tell you that 2020 is going to be very hard, and if 2021 is the same, it will be catastrophic for the operational business side of the race/events business! Both IM and New York Road Runners just announced big rounds of lay offs. Several noteable mid sized race/event management companies have already shut down operations! The new buzz question in the business is, "How will you hibernate?" Personally I've had 3/4 of my income for the year, from Race/Event Announcing, Emceeing and Commentating wiped out! It's looking bleak!

On a brighter note I was part of a consultative discussion a month ago, to bring top level women's UCI Pro Road Racing to the North Eastern U.S. and possibly spilling over the border into Canada with a series of races for 2022!! But right now, that feels like a bit of a dream!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

The big question is - what will happen whenever we get on the other side of the Covid-19 Crisis? Anecdotally - many are seeing way more people cycling and running in their neighborhoods. Bike sales are up 75% this year . . yes you read that right. But these are mostly bikes in the $500 range. Still, it's always a good thing to see more people, running or cycling or doing whatever. How many of these new people, will come out to a traditional running, cycling or triathlon race/event when we are on the other side of Covid-19?

As for IRONMAN and other big mass participation races and events - working in the business, as I do, I can tell you that 2020 is going to be very hard, and if 2021 is the same, it will be catastrophic for the operational business side of the race/events business! Both IM and New York Road Runners just announced big rounds of lay offs. Several noteable mid sized race/event management companies have already shut down operations! The new buzz question in the business is, "How will you hibernate?" Personally I've had 3/4 of my income for the year, from Race/Event Announcing, Emceeing and Commentating wiped out! It's looking bleak!

I started in triathlon on a dare with a $900.00 "triathlon starter kit," which bought me wetsuit, bike, tri suit, shoes, etc., all entry level, and I had an absolute blast.

I think that the key to resurgence, if any resurgence, is going to be grabbing those "down-market" bike owners and building their interest toward newer triathlon experiences.

It worked on me.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started in triathlon on a dare with a $900.00 "triathlon starter kit," which bought me wetsuit, bike, tri suit, shoes, etc., all entry level, and I had an absolute blast.

I think that the key to resurgence, if any resurgence, is going to be grabbing those "down-market" bike owners and building their interest toward newer triathlon experiences.

It worked on me.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the sport.

The key triathlon race/event of the future will be shorter. People can do it on any bike. It's mostly for fun and a doable challenge!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the past few years I’ve made it a point to read the minutes of the USAT Board. In Dec, it was recorded for 2019
• Sanctioned Races up 2.5%
• Race directors up 5%
• Membership up 5.5%
• Clubs up 11%
• Officials up 38%
• Corporate Cash Partnerships up 102%

In June 2020:
• Name ITU is being replaced with World Triathlon
• ITU Rebranding Taskforce formed to provide guidance and recommendations
to Executive Board
• Brand voice has been defined, and brand imagery, including logo will be
redesigned to reflect the new name and voice

I wonder if this will now cause confusion with WTC?

Link: https://www.teamusa.org/...-Minutes?failed=true
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Aug 13, 20 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
• Race directors up 5%
• Membership up 5.5%
• Clubs up 11%
• Officials up 38%

That is the Rocky Harris (USA Tri CEO) effect!

Rocky has been hustling relentless for the sport of the triathlon in the U.S. since his fist day on the job a few years ago. Not surprised by this at all! Good news!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
• Race directors up 5%
• Membership up 5.5%
• Clubs up 11%
• Officials up 38%

Rocky has been hustling relentless for the sport of the triathlon in the U.S. since his fist day on the job a few years ago. Not surprised by this at all! Good news!

these numbers are misleading. it doesnt indicate there are more races, if anything there are less. Just USAT was more aggressive to grassroots race directors saying join USAT, or die. A page taken from the playbook of WTC folks
Last edited by: synthetic: Aug 14, 20 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I transferred my IM70.3 Cour d'Alene as it was cancelled to IM70.3 Superfrog, and before that transferred cancelled IM70.3 WA to IM70.3 Cour d'Alene...

However never got cancellation email for Superfrog or any options to transfer the registration. Has anyone got any emails with updated for the race and/or alternatives?
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Fleck wrote:
• Race directors up 5%
• Membership up 5.5%
• Clubs up 11%
• Officials up 38%

these numbers are misleading. it doesnt indicate there are more races, if anything there are less. Just USAT was more aggressive to grassroots race directors saying join USAT, or die. A page taken from the playbook of WTC folks

I think in August 2017 right after he started the job I listened to an audio interview with him. He seemed very tuned into the problems of the organization, only focused on Olympics, and for age groupers it was like the DMV of triathlon - pay a fee, we mail you a registration and sticker....

Two years later in 2019 I listened an interview with a popular race company (Cal Tri Events) not bothering to be USAT sanctioned - was surprising. Not sure where things were overall pre-covid but Rocky appeared very tuned into the hurdles the sport has
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until there's a vaccine, (if there's a vaccine)I think Ironman is dead in the water for all but domestic events, and even those only in places with exceptionally low or zero case rates. IMNZ is on for the moment, but I won't be at all surprised to see that change. We had 102 days with no community transmission, and then there it was again.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next