Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria Cancelled
Quote | Reply
From WTC:

"After further discussion and internal evaluation regarding the future of IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria triathlon, we have come to conclusion that we cannot viably operate the event in 2021. IRONMAN officials are working to determine options for possible future events in the region."

Probably a realistic approach but considering the event was supposed to take place May 30, 2021 it seems a bit, I dunno, premature. Normally I am okay with a deferral but since the options are all out of country I wish they could offer refund...

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Last edited by: shaggyrider: Aug 5, 20 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria Cancelled [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sucks. But instead I think they are saying Ironman 70.3 Victoria discontinued...e.g., not just 2021, but forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wrote them about this. One of the reasons this old guy can afford a remote location race was being able to stay with friends. None of the races offered have that same ability. I asked if they could postpone to 2022 or offer Tempe 2021/22 since I wouldn’t have to travel. I also asked if they would offer some kind of refund. (We all know the answer to this ;)
Bummed.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria Cancelled [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ironman knows they are on borrowed time. Racing isn't coming back (even in 2021)...at least not in the US.

The "deferrals" are just a way to hang on to cash as long as possible to see what happens.

I'm not even going to bother to pick a deferral because none of the races on the list are going to happen either.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria Cancelled [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Except Washington which is at least driveable non of the options are even close . I already have a spot in washington cause couer d'alane was cancelled.

The only option race in canada is month tremblant...and that's a flight plus plus .

I dont understand how a sell out race is no longer viable.
Last edited by: rhayden: Aug 5, 20 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria Cancelled [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd defer to IMWA..but I already deferred to that from this years IMWA.

I suspect the plan is to funnel as many people into whatever races are left. Many wont' defer and after a year+ of waiting will simply walk away from their money. The races that are left will get cancelled and by then they will file for bankruptcy and be able to rebuild at some point in 2022 or 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shaggyrider wrote:
Probably a realistic approach but considering the event was supposed to take place May 30, 2021 it seems a bit, I dunno, premature. Normally I am okay with a deferral but since the options are all out of country I wish they could offer refund...

Actually, when do you think we will get vaccine in Canada??
https://www.nytimes.com/...vaccine-tracker.html

I definitely plan on putting my hand-up to be on the early list... if all the Phase III vaccines get distributed, i'm expecting to get one at some point in early spring.

I will be a miracle if we have enough Canadian are vaccinated in a year... thus, unfortunately, it's not a crazy idea to not put Victoria on the schedule next year.
Quote Reply