Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404s
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new set of carbon hoops for my road bike and I've always wanted a set of Zipps but couldn't afford the price tag. Now, however, Zipp has the 303s and I was wondering if anyone knew if they were eventually going to release a 404s, which is the rim depth I would prefer for road?

EDIT: As someone pointed out, I think the name here is confusing. When I say 303s, I don't mean 303 plural, but the actual line of wheels known as 303s

https://www.sram.com/...odels/wh-303-stld-a1
Last edited by: jhammond: Aug 7, 20 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you'll be able to find 404s (I'm sorry.. it's a tech joke)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp has been producing the 404 wheelset for a very long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
404s are only a touch faster than 303s. If you are on rim brakes try to find an older set of the 404 NSWs. Super easy to swap tires and tubes if you're not dead set on tubeless, great brake track, very stable in crosswinds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of carbon hoops for my road bike and I've always wanted a set of Zipps but couldn't afford the price tag. Now, however, Zipp has the 303s and I was wondering if anyone knew if they were eventually going to release a 404s, which is the rim depth I would prefer for road?

I think those replying here saw your 303s as plural rather than the new, lower cost "S" model of the 303. It would have been less confusing if Zipp used something like the 302s for this new wheel.

I don't think you'll see the 404 revised in the short term as they just updated their entire line to tubeless compatibility. If they do bring a new model 404 out later it will likely be the equivalent of the new 303 Firecrest which went to hookless, increased the internal rim width and decreased depth to support the use of wider tubeless tires. The 303 Firecrest did come down in price, but not to the level of the 303s, so a new 404 Firecrest would be priced similarly.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
404s are only a touch faster than 303s. If you are on rim brakes try to find an older set of the 404 NSWs. Super easy to swap tires and tubes if you're not dead set on tubeless, great brake track, very stable in crosswinds.

I think we are on two different pages. I didn't mean 303s as in plural 303. Zipp has a line of wheels that are more budget friendly known as 303s:

https://www.sram.com/...odels/wh-303-stld-a1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 303s looks like a good budget carbon wheelset. Lots of other companies are making carbon sets in the same price point and around the same weight (roval, bontrager, Reynolds, etc.) just saying you have options.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404s [ahlerscurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahlerscurtis wrote:
the 303s looks like a good budget carbon wheelset. Lots of other companies are making carbon sets in the same price point and around the same weight (roval, bontrager, Reynolds, etc.) just saying you have options.

Sadly I don't have a ton of options. My bike is disc brake, but my rear wheel is a quick release and many manufacturers don't make end caps for quick release (Reynolds, ENVE and Zipp all do though).
Quote Reply