Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

4 Weeks in Jackson, WY
Quote | Reply
I saw the Bar Harbor, Maine thread and it got some pretty great responses so I thought I'd try my luck.

I'm going to be in Jackson, WY for 4 weeks starting in late August into September. Looking to continue my training with hopefully some epic bike rides, runs and swims.

Are there certain rides that are must do? I saw the JHCycling site that listed a bunch. Also are there good areas to get in some weekend swims? Likely will have to use the rec center for lap swimming unless there are other good options.

Would love any other tips for must-do things in Jackson like hikes in yellowstone or teton / horseback riding or anything else off the beaten path.

Thanks so much in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: 4 Weeks in Jackson, WY [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arguably one of the most beautiful places in America, if not the world. You staying in Jackson or at the ski resort? Bunch of great trails at Jackson Hole mountain, nice bike/run path along yeh main HWY too.

Make sure to check out the Tetons.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 Weeks in Jackson, WY [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Arguably one of the most beautiful places in America, if not the world. You staying in Jackson or at the ski resort? Bunch of great trails at Jackson Hole mountain, nice bike/run path along yeh main HWY too.

Make sure to check out the Tetons.

Yeah I've only been in the winter. Super stoked. Staying in downtown Jackson and bringing the tri bike and road bike. Pref the tri bike though because it's my new toy and a much better fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recommend the Paintbrush Canyon - Cascade loop as an epic hike/run in GTNP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be very very cautious. Traffic is up 25% there this year compared to last year lots of traffic on the roads in and out of Jackson. There is a great bike path that goes from town out to Moose which is cool. As far as riding the "roads" be very cautious. If you want to do some "road" riding look at driving out of town(I can help with that if you want) and ride the highways away from Jackson. The trails there are great so that might be a safer bet. I live about 2 hrs from Jackson and have been there a couple times this summer and have friends that live there and they said that it is nuts there right now and many of them come over to my area or drive out away from Jackson to ride their road bikes. That being said, stay in Jackson it is awesome it is the only part of WyIdaho that is worth seeing. Don't leave there the rest of Wyoming is redneck and backwards and not worth seeing so please please stay in Jackson.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 Weeks in Jackson, WY [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
Be very very cautious. Traffic is up 25% there this year compared to last year lots of traffic on the roads in and out of Jackson. There is a great bike path that goes from town out to Moose which is cool. As far as riding the "roads" be very cautious. If you want to do some "road" riding look at driving out of town(I can help with that if you want) and ride the highways away from Jackson. The trails there are great so that might be a safer bet. I live about 2 hrs from Jackson and have been there a couple times this summer and have friends that live there and they said that it is nuts there right now and many of them come over to my area or drive out away from Jackson to ride their road bikes. That being said, stay in Jackson it is awesome it is the only part of WyIdaho that is worth seeing. Don't leave there the rest of Wyoming is redneck and backwards and not worth seeing so please please stay in Jackson.

Damn - making me nervous. So you wouldn't do the famous Around the Block ride and others. I was using this as my starting point:

https://www.jhcycling.org/rides-road - I think the Moose ride you pointed out is on there. Any other rides on here that are safe?

Yeah let me know what you think is best - happy to drive a bit and yes also want to explore outside of Jackson! Would love to get away from the crowds and see what else is out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some good rides on there for sure. Just make sure you keep your head on swivel. General advice highway 89 has the bike path that road you need to stay on the bike path.

The Jackson to Targhee to Jackson is amazing ride but the pass gets a lot of truck(semi) traffic and a lot of rubber necking drivers so that one is great for sure but a bit busy.

Jackson Moose Jackson is fun but the Moose to Teton Village section is mostly paved and if done super early is awesome but it is essentially a one lane windy road so once it gets busy less fun.

One of my favorites actually did it this last weekend is to drive to the Hatchet Resort(northeast) of Jackson. Park there and ride over Togowtee Pass to the town of Dubois(around 50 miles) stop and have amazing pie at the Cowboy Restaurant and then bike back over the pass to Hatchet Resort. You can also just do Hatchet to the top of the Pass(9400') and then cruise back down to Hatchet. You will get AMAZING views of the Grand Teton. It is cool to crest the pass and creep over the top and BAM 2nd highest peak in WY is there the whole descent back to Hatchet Resort.

Go to Fitzgerald's and chat with them or give them a call they can give you a lot more beta on the rides. A lot of those have gravel sections I think.

Feel free to PM if you have specifics or want more beta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I spent over a week riding there last August and while spectacularly beautiful, would give the road riding a solid B-. As others have pointed out, there’s quite a bit of traffic. I also saw very few other bikers.

The passes are serious climbs and descents and would not be - at least in my opinion - fun or terribly safe on a TT bike. I did not attempt the around the block ride given that I was solo and it didn’t appear to be the safest ride.

If I were you, I’d split up time and do some mountain biking in addition to road. For routes, you can ride into the park but there is lots of traffic (do it early). My favorite areas were riding out of town on the bike path and then heading out to Kelly. There’s a nice little deli and you can do a few add-ons to get 60-70 miles.

North fall creek road near Wilson is also really nice with some shorter climbs but it was also the site of an accident where I crashed and fractured my shoulder :-/

Rec center is the best spot for swimming

Feel free to follow up with any other questions
Last edited by: ChrisJM: Aug 6, 20 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever make it to Jackson?
Quote Reply
Re: 4 Weeks in Jackson, WY [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
Did you ever make it to Jackson?

Just got here a few days ago! Did a couple of hikes in GTNP this weekend, but haven’t had the chance to ride yet. You’re def right re: the traffic. It’s pretty crazy in town. I’m gonna try the bike path early tomorrow and then go from there.

Let me know if you have any thoughts / ideas - or if you’re gonna be in the area and riding around anytime soon. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go find Exum Guides ( in the park) and have them drag you up The Grand. A good 2 day workout and the snow in Garnet Canyon should be minimal by now so easier up and down.
Then come down and go to Dornan's in Moose have a few and stare at The Grand.
Then go to The Stagecoach in Wilson on Sunday night.
Then ride up past Kelly to Slide Lake and come back to Kelly, stop in for an espresso and stare at The Grand.
Then.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably won't be getting over to that area with work and family stuff tough to get over there for a full day right now. Ride the Towgatee Pass, it is worth it. If you are up for a 2.5 hour drive let me know and you are welcome to come to my neck of the woods and get some good TT rides in or some good climbing, much smaller area so much less traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 Weeks in Jackson, WY [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Go find Exum Guides ( in the park) and have them drag you up The Grand. A good 2 day workout and the snow in Garnet Canyon should be minimal by now so easier up and down.
Then come down and go to Dornan's in Moose have a few and stare at The Grand.
Then go to The Stagecoach in Wilson on Sunday night.
Then ride up past Kelly to Slide Lake and come back to Kelly, stop in for an espresso and stare at The Grand.
Then.....

Would love to summit they Grand unfortunately I’m with the gf and she’d kill me if I disappeared for 2 days. Any one day summits you’d suggest? I was actually looking at this after watching some videos about the Jackson Picnic!

Will def do the others. Thank you!
Quote Reply