Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pick a Quarq (I'm a bad mechanic)
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be replacing my Stages PM with a Quarq because the data dropouts have finally become too much to bare. I've had a quarq on my mountain bike for years and have never had a single issue with it, so it's time to change the cross bike over as well, which is my main training bike. The problem is I don't know which bottom bracket I need. I have the below bike and it's stock except for changing out the Rotor crankset to an Ultegra (my Stages is Ultegra).

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...-advanced-pro-1-2015

SRAM has this handy chart for picking a bottom bracket, but I don't know the shell width and I don't see where on the giant website it lists this, so I have no idea which one to choose.

https://www.sram.com/...d-bottom-bracket.pdf

Would someone be kind enough to tell me which one would fit my bike or explain to me how I find this information? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Quarq (I'm a bad mechanic) [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a 24mm spindle, I'd just buy a Power2Max. They come natively with a 24mm option, and have setups for a 4 bolt chainring. I just got another one, with their P2M cranks, for $575 or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Quarq (I'm a bad mechanic) [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's got a 30mm spindle, though. Not entirely sure, but Rotor 3DF appears to be 30mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Quarq (I'm a bad mechanic) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I think you're right.

Then I'd get this:
https://power2max.cc/.../ngeco-rotor-3d-plus

And re-use the rings and crank arms.

Under $500 to add a crank power meter, and P2M is rock solid, IME.
Last edited by: rijndael: Aug 4, 20 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a Rotor power meter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big fan of the p2m as well. Functionality is the exact same as the quarq except for a few metrics that are pretty unnecessary in my opinion. Though you could probably get a used Dzero for about the same price, it would just be harder to get the right one for your setup.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a ton for the advice and I hadn't heard of P2M before. I'll definitely be checking this out!
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Quarq (I'm a bad mechanic) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I think he's got a 30mm spindle, though. Not entirely sure, but Rotor 3DF appears to be 30mm.

He says in the first post that he changed out the rotor crankset to an Ultegra crankset. Presumably he changed the bottom bracket at that time to a 24 mm one? Or maybe installed some 30->24 adapters? Knowing what they did to get an ultegra crankset on there could shift which P2M crankset he would go with.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Quarq (I'm a bad mechanic) [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
trail wrote:

He says in the first post that he changed out the rotor crankset to an Ultegra crankset. Presumably he changed the bottom bracket at that time to a 24 mm one? Or maybe installed some 30->24 adapters? Knowing what they did to get an ultegra crankset on there could shift which P2M crankset he would go with.

My bike shop did it (that went out of business sadly), so I have no idea what they did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I'm going to be replacing my Stages PM with a Quarq because the data dropouts have finally become too much to bare. I've had a quarq on my mountain bike for years and have never had a single issue with it, so it's time to change the cross bike over as well, which is my main training bike. The problem is I don't know which bottom bracket I need. I have the below bike and it's stock except for changing out the Rotor crankset to an Ultegra (my Stages is Ultegra).

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...-advanced-pro-1-2015

SRAM has this handy chart for picking a bottom bracket, but I don't know the shell width and I don't see where on the giant website it lists this, so I have no idea which one to choose.

https://www.sram.com/...d-bottom-bracket.pdf

Would someone be kind enough to tell me which one would fit my bike or explain to me how I find this information? Thanks!

Do you have a tape measure?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
mgreer wrote:
trail wrote:

My bike shop did it (that went out of business sadly), so I have no idea what they did

Since you have an Ultegra crankset on your bike, the bike shop installed a bottom bracket that is compatible with it (i.e. - a Hollowtech II 24mm axle).

That also means that your frame's bottom bracket shell is 68mm wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Competitive Cyclist has some Quarq DFour91s on sale for $400
Quote Reply