Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carrying full nutrition in IM
Quote | Reply
I’m wondering what people’s opinions are on carrying all nutrition on the bike (4 bottles) and a couple gels versus stopping at unmanned aid stations For say 2/3 bottle pick ups on a relatively flat (1000m elevation) course? Do you think the weight penalty would be close to the stopping time or would there be a good amount grafting involved with pushing a bike around with that kind of liquid weight versus not?

I know it’s a general question but just looking for a general opinion
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying full nutrition in IM [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is the weight issue, and I try to carry as little weight as possible. Another issue you may not have considered, and depending on the race location may not be relevant, is air temperature/sun exposure. If in a warm climate, the liquid in those bottles will get warm and, to me, less pleasant to drink. A quick stop at an aid station for good cold water solves both of these issues. Of course, if you are going for a KQ, the calculus may change but I have never been burdened with that scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For not super hot races I have been able to do that. Using concentrated infinit, I could get 1800 calories from that alone. Problem is the water however. You may not need water with 4 bottles but if it's hot.... The weight will also decrease as you ride, so i don't think you get much weight penalty and it's probably offset by not stopping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did a tri with a 92 mile bike segment and carried all of my hydration and nutrition on my bike. Even though it's short of the iron distance by 20 miles, I think it's safe to generalize my experience. I'd say it's worth it, with a few caveats. 1-How hot will the race be/will you be able to carry enough fluids? I got lucky that my race wasn't very hot, but if it were much warmer I would've needed more bottles. 2- How concerned about time are you? The extra 3-4 lbs of fluids on your bike won't slow you down nearly as much as stopping to grab more and then getting back up to speed. If you're not racing for a podium slot of some sort, will those extra few minutes really bother you?

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how you're going to be able to carry enough water for the bike portion of an IM unless you also have a camelbak type rig. I definitely carry all of gels for a full IM on my bike with Argon's Tailwind box for sure though.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always liked being self-sufficient on the bike, and carrying everything I need. Having said that if it is a hotter day and/or hilly course I replenish at aid stations, as the weight penalty is too much and I'll need more liquids then I can carry.
I also don't mind if my liquids aren't cold.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying full nutrition in IM [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. Re how I would survive doing the full bike with liquid.
1 hydration BTA bottle, 1 on the down tube 2 on the rear cage.
4 would generally do me on an IM. Temps wouldn’t be that hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold drinks rule
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The elevation isn't the issue...the weather is.

On a hot/humid race you can go through more bottles than you can carry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're willing to spend an extra 10-15 bucks per race, my strategy is to start with two full bottles on my bike and then, when they are empty, toss them and grab a bottle from the aid station and stick that in the now-empty cage. Minimal slowdown at aid station and solves the weight and temperature problems.

Please keep in mind however that I am old and slow.
Quote Reply