Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Virtual races/challenges: how important is the course location to you?
Quote | Reply
Because they're virtual, the course for a virtual event could be anywhere in the world. I've noticed a lot of organizers choose to put them near their intended audience (a run across NY State put on by a timing company in NY, for example) or where they hold real races (like virtual trail runs in California). Most of them seem to be located in the United States.

If you've done one of these events or might do one in the future, how important is where the virtual map takes you? Would you like to be somewhere familiar, or somewhere exotic? Would you like to explore a famous route (Tour de France stage, etc) or would you like to traverse somewhere you wouldn't normally end up (swim the Amazon, run the Australian Outback)?

I'm putting together a virtual triathlon (swim, bike, run segments) and I'm losing sleep trying to determine the courses.

Co-Race Director: The Seneca7 (seneca7.com)
FLX Challenge (flxchallenge.com)
formerly: Musselman Triathlon
formerly: City of Portland Triathlon
formerly: Fly by Night Duathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual races/challenges: how important is the course location to you? [musselman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The event you mention was a neat idea and I did sign up.

They were able to pull in the 4 big "NY" cities and made it about the distance and not a "race"

They also put on your old race "fly-by-night" which is my favorite race so supporting them was important. HOPEFULLY we still get to race it next month.....

As for other virtual events. I did a few Rev3 to support that RD as well. I actually preferred the 1'st one he put on as it was truly virtual and not tied to a location and early enough so there didn't appear to be much cheating. I signed up for the next few just to support him. Not sure I even sent in a time.

The biggest problem with virtual racing is the vast amount of cheating. The times are absurd that people are posting, so its not worth sending in results. (but is worth signing up for to support specific RD's)
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual races/challenges: how important is the course location to you? [musselman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, it's more about execution. The race across Tennessee and Colorado both seemed interesting. I like the idea of the Amazon and TdF routes, seem more interesting to me personally

I just hate any sort of virtual race where you have to input results into a Survey Monkey or something similar. It needs to be as automated as possible otherwise I completely lose interest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a single day event? Geez, I can't see how that would matter much to me. Unless its in Antartica. I really wanted to do that one. ;-) But, that had as much to do with the story-line as the virtual location.

For things like GVRAT, its been someone engaging to see "where I am" each night on google streetview (except when I'm just in the middle of I-40). For these multi-day affairs, I think the course location and ability to visualize adds to the engagement...and "immersion" in the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual races/challenges: how important is the course location to you? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These thoughts are helpful, thank you.

I'm putting together a multi-month virtual triathlon, something to keep participants engaged for the long haul. I want to make it as interesting as possible... and to indianacyclist's point, as automated as possible without total detachment.

I think I've got a route. I'm planning to swap it out every two weeks for 24 hours ("Fortnight Fridays") so there's somewhere new to explore. I'll announce it here this week... stay tuned!

Co-Race Director: The Seneca7 (seneca7.com)
FLX Challenge (flxchallenge.com)
formerly: Musselman Triathlon
formerly: City of Portland Triathlon
formerly: Fly by Night Duathlon
Quote Reply