Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay X series discontinued?
Quote | Reply
I was told today that speedplay x series has been discontinued, this includes replacement cleats.

Is this true?

If so are there any sources for cleats out there?

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eBay, as Chinese knockoffs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

https://fairwheelbikes.com/...lay-x-series-cleats/

These guys seem to still have some in - with a max order No. to stop hoarding.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is awesome! I was also in need of x-series cleats and was able to order them with the link. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got 3 pair of the X cleat pedals that I no longer use since I switched to Speedplay Zero's earlier this year

My training pair from 1996 that still work although my mechanic disagrees, a Ti pair on my TT bike that I've used for racing only and a steel pair that I had on a bike I had on the trainer that haven't seen use since maybe 2008.

PM if you want, I'll do a package deal. I may even have some spare cleats/shims hanging around

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the walkable/rideable cleat covers. Basically makes the cleats last forever.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203059058223

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't the V2 cleats supposed to be compatible across the Speedplay line?
They at least say they are compatible with Zero, Lite Action, and X.

Might be worth looking into.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ayontz wrote:

Yes. From their site:
Quote:
The new V.2 Cleat will function with existing Zero, Ultra Light Action or X Series pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
ayontz wrote:

Yes. From their site:
Quote:
The new V.2 Cleat will function with existing Zero, Ultra Light Action or X Series pedals.

The way I'm reading it, the V2 parts (which attach to the shoe, and create a flat, 4-hole platform) are the same across the Speedplay line. The part of the cleat that mates with the pedal is still different for X, Zero, and Light Action.

I wish there was "one cleat to rule them all", it would make upgrading pedals and shifting between bikes with different Speedlay pedals much easier. I've never moved off of X-series mainly due to the cost/pain of upgrading all my bikes at once.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read it the same way, even looking at how the cleats engage the pedal interface, I wouldn't see a solution that would work.

I was running zero aero on my tt bike and X on my road bike, and just HAPPENED to get a new pair of zero for the road bike since I like the walkable cleat better and the ability to go back and forth between bikes with the same shoes if i prefer.

Glad I made that choice rather than the other way around.

Speedplay X can now be relegated to my trainer bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
ayontz wrote:

Yes. From their site:
Quote:

This not true. The X series and the newer Zero/light action use a completely different cleat. Both have a V.2 version (it involves the shims) but they are not inter changeable across series. The X series use the a rounded metal spring type and the Zeros have a more flat "C" shaped retainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any other locations with inventory? Unfortunately I didn't move quickly enough on your link. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irondave wrote:
Any other locations with inventory? Unfortunately I didn't move quickly enough on your link. Thanks

https://www.excelsports.com/...-EAQYASABEgIFl_D_BwE

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even Zeros and Zero-related stuff seems to be in short supply these days. They have discontinued both the Zero Ti and Zero Nano. I went looking recently and had to buy the stainless and even those seemed to be in stock in just a few places
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the link. I just ordered 5 sets of cleats. They have another 5 sets left in inventory if anyone else wants them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn i was to slow - they are out!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call and speak to Matt. He said they can reorder because of demand, Speedplay is manufacturing more sets. Prepay and you won't have to worry about missing out. Let him know this is all thanks to Slowtwitch, the most awesome triathlon community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome thank you !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irondave wrote:
Call and speak to Matt. He said they can reorder because of demand, Speedplay is manufacturing more sets. Prepay and you won't have to worry about missing out. Let him know this is all thanks to Slowtwitch, the most awesome triathlon community.

I don't suppose there is any chance they are going to make more of the pedals themselves? Some of my X2s have a groove worn on the spindle (from the spring), they're going to give up the ghost at some point and I really don't want to have to find some other pedal system.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yah that's my question as well!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay X series discontinued? [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spindles are available aftermarket. The worst wear on the cleats is the aluminum retainer gets worn from walking. Is the aluminum retainer from zeros different than the x retainer?
Quote Reply