Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowtwitchers: Help me with hydration equipment choice for a solo road century
Quote | Reply
A question about the interaction between logistics and aerodynamics. I'm a roadie, but I bet at least some people here might have interesting thoughts.

I'm doing a solo century ride tomorrow. This is the 2020 Virtual Tour de Tonka. I was really looking forward to this event before Covid hit - last year, without much training and without even shaving my legs, I somehow held on to the front group on the century ride for 70+ miles. This year, I was hoping to hang with them to the end. I'm fitter, and freshly shaven, and I have some fancy Hed Jet wheels, and I have a speedsuit.

Now, the event is virtual, so I (and at least a number of other people, but I intend to proceed solo) will be riding on the course and there are no formal rest stops. There are a number of gas stations, coffee shops, and grocery stores en route. The expected high temperature is 82 degrees, but I intend to start very early, like 7am or earlier. In fact, we expect pm thunderstorms, so I have a lot of incentive to finish as early as humanly possible. I have some choices to make:

First: bring 3 water bottles (2 on bike, 1 in back pocket), or bring 2 bottles and a Camelbak Chase vest (equivalent to about 2 bottles)? (NB: I don't have a behind the seat cage. Also, I can even stuff an extra bottle into the Camelbak.) If the former, I will probably have to stop around mile 50 for water, and most likely at least once more. With the Camelbak, I think I could last to around mile 70 before I need to stop. I could complete the ride with just one stop. Leaning towards the Camelbak, but interested in your thoughts.

Second: speedsuit or ultralight jersey and bibs? It's not going to be a scorching day, so I might lean towards the speedsuit. However, if I do the Camelbak, I know the Camelbak will attenuate some of the aerodynamic gains.The ultralight jersey (Velocio radiator mesh) is really nice and cool, and it fits tightly.

Needless to say, nothing is actually at stake here, but I intend to set my best possible time and I don't intend to justify myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitchers: Help me with hydration equipment choice for a solo road century [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
A question about the interaction between logistics and aerodynamics. I'm a roadie, but I bet at least some people here might have interesting thoughts.

I'm doing a solo century ride tomorrow. This is the 2020 Virtual Tour de Tonka. I was really looking forward to this event before Covid hit - last year, without much training and without even shaving my legs, I somehow held on to the front group on the century ride for 70+ miles. This year, I was hoping to hang with them to the end. I'm fitter, and freshly shaven, and I have some fancy Hed Jet wheels, and I have a speedsuit.

Now, the event is virtual, so I (and at least a number of other people, but I intend to proceed solo) will be riding on the course and there are no formal rest stops. There are a number of gas stations, coffee shops, and grocery stores en route. The expected high temperature is 82 degrees, but I intend to start very early, like 7am or earlier. In fact, we expect pm thunderstorms, so I have a lot of incentive to finish as early as humanly possible. I have some choices to make:

First: bring 3 water bottles (2 on bike, 1 in back pocket), or bring 2 bottles and a Camelbak Chase vest (equivalent to about 2 bottles)? (NB: I don't have a behind the seat cage. Also, I can even stuff an extra bottle into the Camelbak.) If the former, I will probably have to stop around mile 50 for water, and most likely at least once more. With the Camelbak, I think I could last to around mile 70 before I need to stop. I could complete the ride with just one stop. Leaning towards the Camelbak, but interested in your thoughts.

Second: speedsuit or ultralight jersey and bibs? It's not going to be a scorching day, so I might lean towards the speedsuit. However, if I do the Camelbak, I know the Camelbak will attenuate some of the aerodynamic gains.The ultralight jersey (Velocio radiator mesh) is really nice and cool, and it fits tightly.

Needless to say, nothing is actually at stake here, but I intend to set my best possible time and I don't intend to justify myself.

I’d just go with 2 water bottles to start then refill at 30,60, and 80ish. I usually am eating ice cream on the 80 something stop. You want to keep the calories coming.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitchers: Help me with hydration equipment choice for a solo road century [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
speedsuit or ultralight jersey and bibs

Which would you be most comfortable wearing when walking into a gas station, 7-Eleven or Dunkin' Donuts?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitchers: Help me with hydration equipment choice for a solo road century [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
weiwentg wrote:

Which would you be most comfortable wearing when walking into a gas station, 7-Eleven or Dunkin' Donuts?

It won't matter. They'll look at me funny no matter what I'm wearing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
RandMart wrote:
weiwentg wrote:

It won't matter. They'll look at me funny no matter what I'm wearing.
This is my life even when not cycling.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I was maybe overthinking it. I went with skinsuit plus Camelbak. I averaged about 19.3 with maybe 10 miles’ worth of drafting. I spent a lot of time stopped, actually - I wound up talking to a few people, I stopped to check if a couple riders needed mechanical assistance, I chatted with a group I ran into. I didn’t exactly do great on total time as a result, but it felt good.
Quote Reply