Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure this is a “bike path” and not a “multi-use” path? Although they are often called bike paths, very often they are specifically intended for walkers, bikes, skaters, etc. and not just bikes. He may have as much right to be there as you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where I live a lot of runners run on the street rather than the sidewalk. I am told that they do it because there is a belief that asphalt is easier on the knees and other joints, having slightly more give than a concrete sidewalk. Perhaps your speedwalker prefers asphalt for the same reason, especially if he has joint issues?
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
???What are you talking about? I stated in my op that there is a bike lane and a good sidewalk on both sides of the road as well as a trail. But he chooses to be on the bike path. As for yelling, what are you expecting me to do? Since I can't read his mind, I have to warn him somehow that there is a bike behind him so that he either moves aside or at least not do some sudden move that would force me into the trafic.
Last edited by: softrun: Jul 31, 20 20:30
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bm wrote:
Are you sure this is a “bike path” and not a “multi-use” path? Although they are often called bike paths, very often they are specifically intended for walkers, bikes, skaters, etc. and not just bikes. He may have as much right to be there as you do.
It is a clearly marked bike path with bike signes painted on it every 50m or so. Since there are sidewalks on both side of the road and a trail on one, I think it is pretty clear who should be where.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumbest post I've seen on ST by far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Almost every morning for the past month or so, when I go for a ride I pass this older guy doing speed walking on the bike path. There is a perfectly good, smooth and wide sidewalk on both sides of the street and a trail a bit further that parallels the road, but he chooses to walk on the bike path. Every time I catch up with him I yell "bike behind" and he moves to the right but I can say he is getting annoyed. I don't want to get into arguments with him about safety/appropriateness of him walking where he should not. Should I just keep yelling and see what happens? There is also a police station not too far and I often see cops around. Should I say something to them? Or would this entangle me into filing a report and an endless paperwork?
Thanks

I wouldn’t worry about it. We are all doing the same thing (exercise) in different forms. If you want zero distractions, probably a good idea to stay on the trainer.

On the flip side, I run an a shared path with cyclist that BLOW by like dickheads when people are coming both ways. Not cool IMO. It’s not the place to blaze a bike workout. I get you’re on a bike path but I’d be interested to see what it looked like.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Last edited by: Once-a-miler: Jul 31, 20 21:27
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
softrun wrote:
Almost every morning for the past month or so, when I go for a ride I pass this older guy doing speed walking on the bike path. There is a perfectly good, smooth and wide sidewalk on both sides of the street and a trail a bit further that parallels the road, but he chooses to walk on the bike path. Every time I catch up with him I yell "bike behind" and he moves to the right but I can say he is getting annoyed. I don't want to get into arguments with him about safety/appropriateness of him walking where he should not. Should I just keep yelling and see what happens? There is also a police station not too far and I often see cops around. Should I say something to them? Or would this entangle me into filing a report and an endless paperwork?
Thanks

I wouldn’t worry about it. We are all doing the same thing (exercise) in different forms. If you want zero distractions, probably a good idea to stay on the trainer.

On the flip side, I run an a shared path with cyclist that BLOW by like dickheads when people are coming both ways. Not cool IMO. It’s not the place to blaze a bike workout. I get you’re on a bike path but I’d be interested to see what it looked like.

The bike path on this part of the highway is wide enough for one bike. If two bikes are side by side, the one on the left would be at least partially on the road, assuming that the bike on the right is very close to the sidewalk. It is very nice and smooth pavement. You have to be careful when passing somebody.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run on the street instead of the sidewalk whenever I can, mainly because the sidewalks here are in poor shape. Lots of pieces sticking up to trip you and folks leave there garbage cans on them all the time, it’s frustrating. I also see tons of broken glass bottles on the sidewalks. Also, cars tend not to look for you on a sidewalk if they are coming off a side street. I’ve nearly ended up as a hood ornament a few times due to careless drivers.

As for the OP, I feel you to some degree. There’s a few folks in town that feel the sidewalks are for made for their golf carts. They give me ugly looks if I make them yield to me as a pedestrian. It’s just frustrating even if it seems petty to most people.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On your left...namaste...let it go, man.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are all knuckleheads. say something kind to him. Maybe he is doing the best he can. And Peace to you, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't assume he's the knucklehead.

Slow down, go around him slowly. Smile at him.

Your ride, workout, or overall training will not be hurt one iota by slowing down to gently go by this old guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Thanks

He’s in your turf

Challenge him to a fight
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Pee on his leg to established dominance.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can't be that serious about riding a bike if you're in the separate bike lane vs. the road.....sooooooo just slow down from the 18mph you're doing to 13mph and respectfully pass the guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carry a gun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is this even something you're devoting brain power to? Ride around him and go about your day. Mind your own business and move on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would you do if he would cycle there, but slowly, every morning? You would pass him, and have no problem with it, right? So why is it a problem to pass him now? Just ring your bell or shout, and pass.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Dude just ride around him. No big deal.
agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it a "bike lane" on a highway or a set aside bike path? The later is generally a multi use path that can be used by all sorts of people and is generally a poor place for training on a bike, though I understand in some cities people do ride fast on bike paths because the roads are so dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [Hit_Apex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit_Apex wrote:
No advice but I did have a similar encounter recently where an oncoming runner insisted on staying on the line separating the bike lane from the traffic lane. Same situation, nice sidewalk which most oncoming runners jump onto or hug the curb. A few of us approached and we couldn't figure out what he intended as he stared right at us. He just yelled at us to 'stay in the bike lane' so he could split the bikes and cars. He was wildly unpredictable as some swerved left and right to miss him. Some people just have odd rationale about how things work/should work and it typically stems from ego or competitiveness inappropriate for the circumstance.

Had a knucklehead doing that a few years back. We had a bike/run lane, car lane, grass median, and the same on the other side. Instead of hugging the curb like all the other runners, he was trying to stay on the line between cars and bikes. It was really rather dangerous, just because he was doing something so out of the ordinary. I refused to go by him near the curb, sat up, pointed toward the curb, and stayed towards the median. I did it a few times in one afternoon. He either got the hint or got run over by a car and was not able to run anymore, because he never caught my attention again.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: What do I do about this knucklehead ? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
Is it a "bike lane" on a highway or a set aside bike path? The later is generally a multi use path that can be used by all sorts of people and is generally a poor place for training on a bike, though I understand in some cities people do ride fast on bike paths because the roads are so dangerous.

It is a clearly marked "bikes only" lane with a bike sign painted on the path for several kilometres every 50m or so. There is a sidewalk beside it as well as a trail further aside. There is absolutely no doubt of who should be where.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Thanks

Having done a small amount of speedwalking, I can offer a few potential reasons why he might not be on sidewalk or trail. As mentioned by another poster, if the sidewalk has more cracks, OR if it has frequent dips and rises to accommodate streets and driveways, it may be much harder to racewalk on (small slopes are deceptively difficult when you cannot bend your knees!). Similarly, a non-paved trail is MUCH harder to racewalk on -- foot contact needs to be quite even to get into a good rhythm and the same point holds about dips/rises. Finally, he might be embarrassed by other walkers or pedestrians and not want to interact with them, but confident that bikes will whiz by and not care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Thanks
Why are you riding on his walking path? ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next