Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any tips on cleaning handlebar gel pads?
Quote | Reply
I don't even know how to google this haha. I have some Specialized bar phat handlebar gel pads. I've moved them across a few different bikes, and by now the surface is kind of dusty and not tacky anymore, so they slide around under the bar tape. Any clue if there's a way to clean them so they're tacky again? They're basically the same material as those sticky hands on a string you could slap against a wall back in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on cleaning handlebar gel pads? [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dish soap and warm water typically works.

Due to their squishiness, I find it helps to anchor them down with a covering wrap of silicone rescue tape (keeps the gel in place, and keeps the handlebar tape from sliding off the gel), and then wrap the regular handlebar tape over that.

I have some Planet Bike gel pads, which are basically the same thing.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on cleaning handlebar gel pads? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Dish soap and warm water typically works.

Due to their squishiness, I find it helps to anchor them down with a covering wrap of silicone rescue tape (keeps the gel in place, and keeps the handlebar tape from sliding off the gel), and then wrap the regular handlebar tape over that.

I have some Planet Bike gel pads, which are basically the same thing.

Thanks mate, did the soap and water, and that seemed to do the trick, nice and sticky again. I'll check out the silicone tape, too.
Quote Reply